Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC, How low can you go?

Normally I turn the sound down during these telecasts but here was Vashti Cunningham to be interviewed. Unfortunately it was her and her Dad. So what did Vashti have to say? Nothing!!! Not one word.
    It was all Randall, who, NBC said was SHARING it with his daughter. Oh, yes, she was a good little girl and he thanked the Lord for her.

It's got to be the most obnoxious and tone-deaf segment I have ever seen on NBC.

NBC has a long list of candidates for various "worst ever" categories, so I won't try to pick a "winner", but one thing that digs at me is that there's a word that I don't think I have ever heard during any presentation of Olympic qualifying:

Janeiro

Comment

And then there was Hammond, referring to Vashti as the "son of the great football player"

What?
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
        And then there was Hammond, referring to Vashti as the "son of the great football player"

What?
        Well, I mean, really, I mean, doesn't Vashti look somewhat like Randall??
        LOL

Comment

NBC will prove to any naysayers they can go lower with no homework, mis-statements and Hammondisms etc. Having watched other crews work for one, they don't typically make the number of mistakes this group does for they are actually prepared and know well the sport they are covering. Beyond that though, there are few/no attempts made to make corrections of earlier mis-statements. Naturally with number of items they get wrong, an attempt to correct all of the mistakes would take an entire show of it's own.

Comment

Personally I don't like interviews of sweating and hard breathing athletes after every heat. they can do away with that and show more field events like the DL telecasts on bein usually have. At least with the OG NBCOlympics.com will have feeds dedicated for each filed event so if someone wants to watch the men's LJ final or women's SP they can do that without having to wait for NBCs brief summary

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the interview after the race myself. Nothing is ever said which means anything much anyway. In a certain respect I'd prefer to hear from the parent and/or coach.

I've heard what 17 year olds have to say. It isn't pretty

Comment

Nice job "Nitwit Broadcasting Curmudgeons" on the "coverage" of the Men's LJ final Sunday.

Please send Mr. Hammond to a horse race somewhere about which he has a scintilla of sporting knowledge.

The single announcer that NBC is using on their stream broadcasts, Tom Feuer, deserves an Emmy Award for his work by comparison!
                Last edited by JY; 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  I'm not a big fan of the interview after the race myself. Nothing is ever said which means anything much anyway.
                  My frustration is that they COULD ask good questions, but they never do.
                  I'd love to hear an athlete's technical deconstruction of a race, what needs to be worked on as a consequence and what their pre-Rio plans are.
                  And yes, don't try to interview them within seconds of the race; they can't breathe, much less think and talk coherently.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I'd love to hear an athlete's technical deconstruction of a race, what needs to be worked on as a consequence and what their pre-Rio plans are.
                    One of the best interviews I've ever herd of this sort was Dwight Stones' interview of Chaunte Lowe after she broke the American record at Drake a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      My frustration is that they COULD ask good questions, but they never do.
                      And yes, don't try to interview them within seconds of the race; they can't breathe, much less think and talk coherently.
                      The last part is the main problem. You're not getting anything much out of anyone at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
                        Beyond that though, there are few/no attempts made to make corrections of earlier mis-statements.
                        There is no way they are going to make themselves look so silly to correct all the misstatements. Only die hard track fans pick up on most of them and I don't think they care that much about the die-hards. They attempt to reach the casual fan who doesn't know a foot from a hand when it comes to Track & Field and to those people, they appear sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by JY View Post

The single announcer that NBC is using on their stream broadcasts deserves an Emmy Award for his work by comparison!
                          Agree 100%!!
                          That guy should do the whole telecast!
                          Informative (with details!!), history-aware, knew all the names, understood every event (what the times meant, techniques of athletes, what each race, jump, throw meant, etc).
                          Not only that, he had the excitable orgasmic tones of the Flotrack guys----without him being with Flotrack!!!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan View Post
                            There is no way they are going to make themselves look so silly to correct all the misstatements. Only die hard track fans pick up on most of them and I don't think they care that much about the die-hards. They attempt to reach the casual fan who doesn't know a foot from a hand when it comes to Track & Field and to those people, they appear sharp.
                            Which is of course a problem in and of itself in that they care so minimally about the quality of their product. I'd like for them to just correct some of the mistakes. The lack of corrections also speaks the lack of overall knowledge of the crew both on and off camera-though I understand that does not include all of them. The errors to such a group don't ever stick out as being errors because only a few might know better or more to the point care enough to improve upon the product.
                            Last edited by cladthin; 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

The NBC Sports Network (regular TV) coverage Sunday night (July 3rd) was the worst I have ever, ever, experienced by NBC.

It was an abomination. It's disgustingly bad.

What's frustrating is that they cut off the stream option, which is pretty good (women's high jump coverage was good except they missed a couple key medal deciding jumps between the stream and TV segment), and force people to sit through 1.5 hours of commercials and garbage for what, 10 minutes of chopped up nonsensical, all forced into a preordained narrative.

It's pathetic. The Eurosport and BBC coverage is like watching a completely different sport.

If NBC is this bad this summer I'll just stream, illegally while fighting off malware and popups, BBC and/Eurosport.

NBC sports you are pathetic.

Tom Hammand has been covering Track a long time and still seems to get things wrong all the time. Masback is knowledgeable but dull. No emotion whatsoever.

Ato Boldon is excellent. Engaging, shows some passion, and technically knowledgeable.

Please NBC, do better. You're killing us.

Comment

Working...
                              X