Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IAAF is at it again (another rule change for jumps and throws)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The IAAF is at it again (another rule change for jumps and throws)

    For the third time within six months we're getting a rule change for horizontal jumps and throws. This time the IAAF is using the U20 world championshops as testing ground.
    All athletes in the final get three attempts, the first six after three rounds get one extra attempt.
    The incompetence behind these decisions is appauling, new rules for Portland, different new rules for the DL, again different new rules for Bydgoszcz. A monkey with a stick trying to get to food learns quicker than these people.
    Last edited by norunner; 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM.

  • #2
    So it's only 4 rounds in the final?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

    Comment


    • #3
      Do I understand this? Six throwers to finals, one throw final?
      I don't know how you would apply this to vertical jumps.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry, my bad, i meant horizontal jumps.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
          Do I understand this? Six throwers to finals, one throw final?
          I don't know how you would apply this to vertical jumps.
          Just one extra jump too. I think that is too much of a cut to have only six get one extra attempt after the bottom six are eliminated. How about the top six getting at least two extra jumps?

          Comment


          • #6
            These clowns make Donald Trump's campaign team look like a world class organization.

            Comment


            • #7
              Heck, if "they" just want to speed things up, just have every competitor throw/jump one time and go home...after all, you (usually) only get to run a final once.

              The margin for error in fouling horizontal jumps, subject to the vagaries of wind, weather and luck, is so small that you will not determine the best jumper that day but who takes the best "safe" jump.

              I have many times seen the competition won by the first jumper on the first jump. Admittedly, it was all downhill from there but more often it is won by the last jumper on the last jump after a mano a mano battle in the forth, fifth and sixth rounds.
              That is the essence of competition and what will be lost in these abbreviated competitions.

              Jut my opinion after competing/officiating in literally more than a thousand competitions over eighty five years.
              Last edited by lonewolf; 07-18-2016, 06:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think we SHOULD experiment with some 'presentation' methods (I wouldn't consider it a rule change, per se), but these sure look like random choices. How 'bout we vet this out before we try it in a championship?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  How 'bout we vet this out before we try it in a championship?
                  A loud Amen..
                  Last edited by lonewolf; 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by norunner View Post
                    For the third time within six months we're getting a rule change for horizontal jumps and throws. This time the IAAF is using the U20 world championshops as testing ground.
                    All athletes in the final get three attempts, the first six after three rounds get one extra attempt.
                    The incompetence behind these decisions is appauling, new rules for Portland, different new rules for the DL, again different new rules for Bydgoszcz. A monkey with a stick trying to get to food learns quicker than these people.
                    But this is way worse than the DL one. This is almost horrible, I hope they don't dare to ruin olympic games with a bullshit like this. What's the meaning of having a qualifying round? Couldn't all the field events be direct final since there will be no difference?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Worst idea of the bunch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This "new" IAAF is even worse than the old one, if we consider the ideas it has.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The only person who will be happy with this format is today's winner.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So, if I am retroactively applying this new protocol correctly, Claye's 8.42 (a 5th jump) at Eugene would never have happened. WTF?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To suddenly experiment with this at a World Junior Champs is utterly ridiculous. For the vast majority of the athletes in these finals, this event will be something they have been aiming towards for months. For many, it will actually turn out to be the most high-profile prestigious competition they ever take part in. To use that as an experiment is shameful IMHO.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X