Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Semenya scratched from the 400m in Rio?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has Semenya scratched from the 400m in Rio?

I have nothing against Caster Semenya...she is caught in a controversial dilemma through no fault of her own. But I think her coach is having her withdraw from the 400m because she would look TOO good. If she ran all out to win the 400m she would win and break 49.00. And if she did the same in the 800m she would win and break the WR. The out cry after this would be hard to take.

So, now,she will toy with 800m field and sprint to an easy win with her devastating final 100m...winning in the 1:54 to 1:55 range and thus avoid the obvious truth that her advantage is unfair.

Isn't she with Nike? Need I say more?

Comment

Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post
      Isn't she with Nike? Need I say more?
      Yeah. Likely paid off by NBC and Nike to protect Felix.

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
        Hide...Here come the trolls !
        Funny how the conspiracy theorists can't ever back their claims with facts

Comment

I think it may be because of the uncertainty an not wanting to risk the 800.
          With the 400, she is obviously has sub 49 potential, but who knows. She could run 47 or not even break 50.

Comment

I'm not convinced that Semenya would have been a bigger threat to Felix's title hopes than Miller.

Comment

Sounds about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
                I'm not convinced that Semenya would have been a bigger threat to Felix's title hopes than Miller.
                Agree with this, though Semenya certainly had the most shock and awe potential
                There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  I think it may be because of the uncertainty an not wanting to risk the 800.
                  With the 400, she is obviously has sub 49 potential, but who knows. She could run 47 or not even break 50.
                  Yes, That makes sense to me too.

Comment

you know, I could swear the motto of these forums is "facts, not fiction"

just sayin'

Comment

She could have won the 800m in any cases, since there would have been a day to rest between the two competition. The schedule was permissive, she could have clearly do both (or even 800-1500). Moreover, she doesn't need to bring her A++ game to beat Niyonsaba, Wambui and the others. I think an 80/90% Semenya could do it as well. I am quite disappointing since she would have been a dark horse in the w400. As for the 800, I (at least) expect her to run close to her real best.

Comment

It does potentially offer the mouth watering possibility that Semenya could run a 400 post Rio against whoever is the champion. Bit like the Felix-Schippers-Thompson match up in Brussels last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                          It does potentially offer the mouth watering possibility that Semenya could run a 400 post Rio against whoever is the champion. Bit like the Felix-Schippers-Thompson match up in Brussels last year.
                          Well, I hope this happens. And it's quite likely since she said, if I recall well, she was going to run different events but after the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            you know, I could swear the motto of these forums is "facts, not fiction"

just sayin'
                            Come on. I was just connecting the dots from the post above (which I assumed was a joke).

Nothing unusual for a big favorite (Semenya) choosing to focus on her main event.

Semenya would have won the 4 though.

Comment

Tangentially I wondered why no W4x400 for RSA--- with a 51mid and two 52 flat PR types on the books a 51-52 carry from CS should yield a sub 3:30 team. Surely someone in the RSA federation could have intuited her listed 52 high PR from 5 years ago might, just might, be a step or so slower than she actually could run in 2016.
                              Tom Hyland:
                              "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Working...
                              X