Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2016 OG w5000: Vivian Cheruiyot 14:26.17 MR

T&FN formchart:

1. Almaz Ayana (Ethiopia) 14:12.59 (’16)
    2. Vivian Cheruiyot (Kenya) 14:20.87 (’11)
    3. Senbere Teferi (Ethiopia) 14:35.09 (’16)
    4. Mercy Cherono (Kenya) 14:33.95 (’16)
    5. Hellen Obiri (Kenya) 14:32.02 (’16)
    6. Yasemin Can (Turkey) 14:37.61 (’16)
    7. Yeshaneh Ababel (Ethiopia) 14:41.58 (’16)
    8. Meraf Bahta (Sweden) 14:49.95 (’16)
    9. Steph Twell (Great Britain) 14:54.08 (’10)
    10. Shelby Houlihan (USA) 15:06.14 (’16)
    Last edited by dj; 08-20-2016, 12:55 AM.

Originally posted by dj View Post
    T&FN formchart:

1. Almaz Ayana (Ethiopia) 14:12.59 (’16)
    2. Vivian Cheruiyot (Kenya) 14:20.87 (’11)
    3. Senbere Teferi (Ethiopia) 14:35.09 (’16)
    4. Mercy Cherono (Kenya) 14:33.95 (’16)
    5. Hellen Obiri (Kenya) 14:32.02 (’16)
    6. Yasemin Can (Turkey) 14:37.61 (’16)
    7. Yeshaneh Ababel (Ethiopia) 14:41.58 (’16)
    8. Meraf Bahta (Sweden) 14:49.95 (’16)
    9. Steph Twell (Great Britain) 14:54.08 (’10)
    10. Shelby Houlihan (USA) 15:06.14 (’16)
    I guess the T&FN formchart is more up to date than the Rio site. The latter shows T Dibaba entered in both the 5 and 10 K. If so, I would expect her to place in the top ten in this event.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post
      I guess the T&FN formchart is more up to date than the Rio site. The latter shows T Dibaba entered in both the 5 and 10 K. If so, I would expect her to place in the top ten in this event.
      If she do well in the 10k, you would see her in the 5k. Just like in 2012.

Comment

T DiB only listed as the Ethiopian alternate on the entry list. They can always change, but it could be that the 5k is a fallback for her.
        Last edited by dj; 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I would not underestimate Obiri's finishing speed.

Comment

Bahta will run 1500m. Only if she bombs out there she will run 5k.

Comment

So...Does Ayana go for all the marbles and breaks 14:00? I can see her breaking 4:20 for the last mile if she is pushed.

Comment

One thing that's certain is that Ayana will not let it become a kicker's race.

Comment

Whatever happens I hope everyones ready for the pain she'll bring. Cheruiyot is probably already in pain just thinking about what she'll have to put herself through to have a chance. I can't imagine she ever thought in her life she'd run so far under 30 mins and only get a silver.

Comment

Let's not forget what happened to "Baby Baby" last year, when Ayana was fresh and she wasn't. I remember some posts stating that G Dibaba could coast through all the rounds and have plenty left for the 5000 final. A WR 10,000 is going to be in AA's legs, and she has to run a heat, as well. Cheruiyot will also be doubling back, but Obiri and Cherono will not. Let's not "mail" the gold medal/WR to her yet. Nothing is for sure.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank

Comment

Now maybe the surest bet for the gold...the 5k has been her better event.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                        Let's not forget what happened to "Baby Baby" last year, when Ayana was fresh and she wasn't. I remember some posts stating that G Dibaba could coast through all the rounds and have plenty left for the 5000 final. A WR 10,000 is going to be in AA's legs, and she has to run a heat, as well. Cheruiyot will also be doubling back, but Obiri and Cherono will not. Let's not "mail" the gold medal/WR to her yet. Nothing is for sure.
                        Cheers,
                        Alan Shank
                        Yes, for sure. She has to run 5K two more times. Another WR would be an achievement for the ages.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                          the 5k has been her better event.
                          Until this year it was her only event, so there's no real evidence either way. The only 10000 she ran before today was the Ethiopian trials.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                            Now maybe the surest bet for the gold...the 5k has been her better event.
                            She's never run the 10,000 until this year. She has never doubled, either. Learn from the past.
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank

Comment

Huddle might regret skipping this race. She is obviously in a great shape. The final is going to be a fast race. She would smash her NR if she were in. Of course, breaking your own record is not as important as becoming a record holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X