Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
    Chaunte Lowe seems to be officially retiring.
    Great career. Still holds the CIF-SS Div 1 record, which will have its 20th birthday next month. She was a great all-around jumper at JW North and even then had a real sense of style about her.

Comment

Allyson Felix retiring after 2022: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcTQdm4PHT9/

"As a little girl they called chicken legs, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined I’d have a career like this. I have so much gratitude for this sport that has changed my life. I have given everything I have to running and for the first time I’m not sure if I have anything left to give. I want to say goodbye and thank you to the sport and people who have helped shape me the only way I know how—with one last run. This season isn’t about the time on the clock, it’s simply about joy. If you see me on the track this year I hope to share a moment, a memory and my appreciation with you.

Here’s to my final season"
      The timing makes sense, but will be weird for me to watch the sport without her.

Comment

• Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
        The timing makes sense, but will be weird for me to watch the sport without her.
        The relays in particular will be weird to watch without her. Since Osaka 2007 she only missed 2013 - the year the US didn't win because she wasn't in the team! The only Championships the US didn't win in the 4x400m when Felix was in the team was in 2015, illustrating what a MVP she has been in that event. If Felix was in the 4x4, you kinda knew the US would win! She will be a big loss to them in that event, and there will be reliance on Mu and the hurdlers to keep the US on top.*

I have gotten used to not seeing her in the 200m (no shade!) as she hasn't run that event at a Championships since 2013. (I wonder, in hindsight, how much affect that injury had on her in that event? She was never the same over 200m after). Her career has been a career of two halves; 2003 to 2013, where it was the 200m and generally a head to head with VCB; and then 2014 to the present day, where it has been about the 400m, and effectively her v SMU. Two great rivalries she has been involved in, and great for the sport.

It's not altogether clear from her statement whether she runs at the Nationals or not, but my interpretation is that she is unlikely to start there, and will pick and choose some meetings she either really likes or has never competed at before, to enjoy her well deserved farewell tour.

*Just when the other nations might have thought they stood a chance of beating the US, with Felix coming to the end of her career, along comes Mu, to further strengthen a great US team that already has super-talent McLaughlin on it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
          2013 - the year the US didn't win because she wasn't in the team!
          The US did win though (eventually)😉

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
          It's not altogether clear from her statement whether she runs at the Nationals or not, but my interpretation is that she is unlikely to start there, and will pick and choose some meetings she either really likes or has never competed at before, to enjoy her well deserved farewell tour.
          I think that's the goal, make her final team, earn her final medal and retire "on top". Guessing the publicity, endorsements etc of a home soil World Championships for the greatest US athlete of this generation was a bit too hard to just leave on the table. I would bet that if Worlds weren't in the US, she would have retired after Tokyo.

Also, Felix is running the 300m at Penn Relays at the end of this month: https://twitter.com/pennrelays/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
          Last edited by ATK; 04-14-2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• I follow her on IG so I was pretty sure already but Georgianne Moline has confirmed she retired a year ago today. I kinda figured since she hasn’t run in a while and seems to be doing quite well as an influencer/brand ambassador but nice to have confirmation. I hadn’t seen her name on this thread before.

Comment

• 400m Hurdler Kenny Selmon (2018 US Champion, 2020 Olympic Semi-Finalist) retiring from the sport. Didnt give specific details as to why, but only 25 years old.

His post on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/CdMKCvwv_hV/

Comment

• Zuzana Hejnova of the Czech Republic has retired at age 35 to have a baby!
                She said she's pregnant, or rather the tweet, as translated, said "her friend Marek is expecting a baby"!!
                It had a link to an article about it, and that said "He and his friend Mark are expecting a descendant"!!!
                Whatever the case, she had a great career!!
                LOL

Comment

• Not a "retirement", but more of a comment on retirements. I wish some athletes would announce their retirements instead of just fading away. Lashawn Merritt comes to mind who is one of my favorite runners that doesnt compete much anymore and for all intents and purposes is done with competitive racing. He deserves a sendoff of some kind like Bolt and AFelix. Just call it a day Lashawna and let us all celebrate that great career.

Comment

• Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                    Not a "retirement", but more of a comment on retirements. I wish some athletes would announce their retirements instead of just fading away. Lashawn Merritt comes to mind who is one of my favorite runners that doesnt compete much anymore and for all intents and purposes is done with competitive racing. He deserves a sendoff of some kind like Bolt and AFelix. Just call it a day Lashawna and let us all celebrate that great career.
                    I think athletes who fade away like that haven't come to terms with the prospect of actual retirement. They keep thinking they still got it, until they experience an extended period of not getting invited to major professional meets (for the money they're used to getting), or a series of injuries keeps them out of competition until they're forced to accept retirement as a reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I think athletes who fade away like that haven't come to terms with the prospect of actual retirement. They keep thinking they still got it, until they experience an extended period of not getting invited to major professional meets (for the money they're used to getting), or a series of injuries keeps them out of competition until they're forced to accept retirement as a reality.
                      I agree with you. and by the time they wake up and realize their career is over, they are semi forgotten and not especially relevant to the current fanbase. I think there is a window of opportunity (2-4 years?) at the end of ones career to say thanks and goodbye to the fans then sit back and enjoy the well deserved praise that comes your way.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                        I agree with you. and by the time they wake up and realize their career is over, they are semi forgotten and not especially relevant to the current fanbase. I think there is a window of opportunity (2-4 years?) at the end of ones career to say thanks and goodbye to the fans then sit back and enjoy the well deserved praise that comes your way.
                        Tell that to Shawn Crawford who tried to just fade away quietly (7th place at 2012 Olympic Trials final so still one of the best in the world), but the IAAF forced him to go out with a huge announcement.

Comment

Tell that to Shawn Crawford who tried to just fade away quietly (7th place at 2012 Olympic Trials final so still one of the best in the world), but the IAAF forced him to go out with a huge announcement.
                          They don't "try" to fade away quietly. Fading away happens to them when they don't proactively retire on their own terms. And the fading may or may not be quiet depending on the circumstances.
                          Last edited by 18.99s; 05-17-2022, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I don't recall ever hearing that before.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

I don't recall ever hearing that before.
                              He was dinged for missed tests, after having "retired" without filing the official retirement paperwork.

Comment

He was dinged for missed tests, after having "retired" without filing the official retirement paperwork.
                                https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sting/2097035/

Comment

Working...
                                X