Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Retirement Thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I didnt realize that you had to file retirement papers but it makes perfect sense. So using Merritt as an example, this would mean that even though he is not running competitively, he is still putting up with the headaches and inconvenience of ongoing drug testing?

    By the way, the last part of that article was a great anecdote about Shawn Crawford giving up his medal to Churandi Martina in that 200 OLY final who was disqualified for running outside his lane. Class act!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
      So using Merritt as an example, this would mean that even though he is not running competitively, he is still putting up with the headaches and inconvenience of ongoing drug testing?
      The opposite in Crawford's case -- he just ignored the requirements for testing, until eventually that resulted in 3 missed tests.

      Comment


      • Yea Crawford just ignored it and got dinged, which as 58 noted, makes sense.

        I don't know if Merritt has "officially retired", paperwork and all, but after the Olympic trials last year he did post this on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQW9fSxj8Rg/

        "My 400m Olympic Cycle Is Over. I’ve Enjoyed And Will Be Passing The 400 Torch And Olympic Wisdom To Some Young Guns Soon To Represent The United States At The Games 2021. Ive Appreciated All The Love And Support!!!"

        Unfortunately, there's no perfect way to retire. But when I see athletes competing well past their prime, I always remember this is their job/career. Most track athletes aren't in a position to just quit and move on to something else. If they are making money and able, why stop?
        Last edited by ATK; 05-17-2022, 03:50 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ATK View Post
          Unfortunately, there's no perfect way to retire. But when I see athletes competing well past their prime, I always remember this is their job/career. Most track athletes aren't in a position to just quit and move on to something else. If they are making money and able, why stop?
          That's the thing. Athletes past their prime who haven't earned and invested enough during their athletic career to completely retire from working have a valid financial incentive for continuing to compete while they're still making more money in the sport than whatever other job they'd likely be able to get outside the sport. Eventually their sports earnings decline to the point where they'd be better off financially by delivering pizzas, then they retire.

          Comment


          • Marcin Lewandowski announced his retirement today. He originally planned to compete this year, but following his daughter's accident and surgery (which was also the reason for his withdrawing from the WI) he decided to stay home instead of doing warm-weather training and has now concluded he wasn't in the sort of shape to be internationally competitive.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

            Comment


            • Marcin Lewandowski announced his retirement!
              Powell beat me to it!
              With a lot more detail!
              LOL

              Comment


              • The end of a great era for Polish mid-distance running what with Kszczot retiring recently too.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                  The end of a great era for Polish mid-distance running what with Kszczot retiring recently too.
                  I think they have got a few promising young guys here and there like the one that won the European U20s last year, Krzysztof Różnicki. I remember after Seb Coe retired, the likes of Curtis Robb and the late Mark Sesay being lumbered by the lazy British press as "the new Seb Coe". Not that Lewandowski or Kszczot won double Olympic gold but they rank very high in any assessment of all-time Polish m-d runners and will be missed by their compatriots.

                  Comment


                  • Yarisley Silva announced her retirement

                    Comment


                    • Isabelle Pedersen of Norway https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceqfag-t...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

                        I think they have got a few promising young guys here and there like the one that won the European U20s last year, Krzysztof Różnicki. I remember after Seb Coe retired, the likes of Curtis Robb and the late Mark Sesay being lumbered by the lazy British press as "the new Seb Coe". Not that Lewandowski or Kszczot won double Olympic gold but they rank very high in any assessment of all-time Polish m-d runners and will be missed by their compatriots.
                        Różnicki is out for this season But we've still got Kacper Lewalski, who also ran 1:44 last year and is still U20 in 2022. He's run 1:45.48 so far this season
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                        Comment


                        • Brittney Reese has retired - https://twitter.com/tianna_mad/statu...63592045838336

                          Comment


                          • Tianna Madison has all but retired - https://twitter.com/tianna_mad/statu...63592045838336

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bhall View Post
                              https://www.runblogrun.com/2021/11/b...%20outstanding.

                              Comment


                              • Funny... that is the link I meant to post. Went searching after the Madison quote tweet.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X