• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a3...price-retires/

She told Runner’s World in a conversation on September 24 that she was mulling retirement.

“After everything I’ve had to overcome these past four or five years, I’m just tired, if I’m being honest,” she said. “It’s been hard. If I do come back, I want to make sure I’m all in, and I’m just not quite sure. Right now, I’m exhausted. If I had to answer right now, my answer would be: I’m done.

“I want to end on a high note,” she continued. “I don’t think enough athletes leave on their own terms. Most athletes leave when they’re injured or their contract ends. This has been my best season ever. I’m okay with walking away after PRing.”

She confirmed that decision in a message on October 5.
    :-(

I wanted her to stick around just long enough (next year, perhaps?) to rabbit Athing Mu to the WR! Maybe in the same race she could sneak a high-1:57.xx!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by The Klingon View Post

I thought she retired a long time ago.
    ran in Tokyo

Leave a comment:

• The Klingon
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Former World 400 Champ Amontle Montsho is retiring.

https://news.thevoicebw.com/2021/11/queen-of-the-track/
    I thought she retired a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Former World 400 Champ Amontle Montsho is retiring.

https://news.thevoicebw.com/2021/11/queen-of-the-track/

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Angelica Bengtsson has announced her retirement from Pole Vaulting, according to Twitter!
    She's just 28!
    Anyone know why, or what's next for her?
    At 28, with 3 Olympics under her belt, and not performing well enough to win a global medal or make big money, why continue? Now isn't a bad time to move on and invest time in her personal life and/or post-competition career.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Angelica Bengtsson has announced her retirement from Pole Vaulting, according to Twitter!
    She's just 28!
    That does seem surprising. This is the translation of her post from Swedish:

"Hi everyone ❤️ Today I have chosen to end my career. And you know what? It feels so right in the stomach. I've still been doing this since I was 6 years old, and constantly moved around and made great sacrifices to get better. Now it will be so nice to land. I am so grateful to everyone who helped me. All coaches, all training mates, everyone who cheered and supported and cheered. Thanks to you, I have both won championship medals and broken records. And, above all, gained lots of experiences and memories that I will always carry with me. THANKS! Now it's time for me to invest in life outside of sports. Now I intend to be the best at being me instead. Kram, Angelica"

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    She's just 28!

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Is it sad, though?
    Well, it's sad for Australian athletics.

And she certainly had a chance of another Commonwealth Gold next year, even if not quite at her best.

But yes - it sounds like she has had enough.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    Sadly, former World Youth, World Junior, Commonwealth & World Champion Dani (Samuels) Stevens has called time on her discus career:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/fo...on-her-career/
    Is it sad, though?

It will depend on whether she's been forced out by injury when wanting to continue or she's just had enough after 20+ years.

I get the feeling that she is probably making a similar decision to Lauren Jackson who retired when she could have continued because the tradeoff for a few more years of competition vs the rest of her life was too small. Basiclly, Jackson wanted to be able to play with her children in future years rather than just watch them after turning herself into a near cripple running the court.

Athletes are a long time retired and a successful retirement should always take priority over the tail end of a career.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Sadly, former World Youth, World Junior, Commonwealth & World Champion Dani (Samuels) Stevens has called time on her discus career:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/fo...on-her-career/

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a3...price-retires/

She told Runner’s World in a conversation on September 24 that she was mulling retirement.

“After everything I’ve had to overcome these past four or five years, I’m just tired, if I’m being honest,” she said. “It’s been hard. If I do come back, I want to make sure I’m all in, and I’m just not quite sure. Right now, I’m exhausted. If I had to answer right now, my answer would be: I’m done.

“I want to end on a high note,” she continued. “I don’t think enough athletes leave on their own terms. Most athletes leave when they’re injured or their contract ends. This has been my best season ever. I’m okay with walking away after PRing.”

She confirmed that decision in a message on October 5.
    Might she still do any pacing for Diamond League races and the like? She became quite good at that.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Huddle is 37. I suspect we have seen the last of her in terms of seriously contending for a spot on a national team.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Molly Huddle is NOT retiring!
    But she IS pregnant, due on April 22, 2022!
    So she scratched from the 2021 Boston Marathon, and won't be available for the 2022 version either.
    She says she'll be running during her pregnancy, and will be returning to competition!

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Not sure if it was noted, but saw that Jesús Ángel García retired in August. Competed in the 50k walk at 8 Olympics (92-20) and 13 world championships (93-15, 19)

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
    National Federation record - while competing for Easton, PA
    Ah so.
    She will be missed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X