Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhausted Runner Helped Across Line By Opponents

A nice thing to do but is the assisted runner disqualified? It would seem to be fair to the other runners who were behind her.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/exhauste...opponents.html
    Wow. I was just about to post the link and start a thread. Exactly what I was afraid of when I saw the reaction to Hamblin/D'Agostino.
    So, if this is "sporting" does that make not stopping, not assisting, and not getting passed by other runners "unsportsmanlike"?
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by is 74 really old? View Post
      A nice thing to do but is the assisted runner disqualified? It would seem to be fair to the other runners who were behind her.
      The rule should be:
      Opponents helping her across - OK.
      Anyone else - no.

There's even a problem there, though. The opponents may be advantaged by this runner finishing ahead of another team's runner.

Comment

Video of the assistance.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/...line-opponents

Comment

Originally posted by is 74 really old? View Post
          If I was referee, the assisted competitor (not a runner anymore) would be a DNF for not completing the course. I could also go with a DQ for not completing the course as marked. I also think there is a case to be made for misconduct by the assisters (who at this point are hardly competitors).
          But maybe I'm becoming a curmudgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
            A. If I was referee, the assisted competitor (not a runner anymore) would be a DNF for not completing the course.
            B. I also think there is a case to be made for misconduct by the assisters
            A. Yes
            B. No - they were not AIDED by their efforts.

Comment

Sport: What could we possibly do to make us less popular and make people want to blow-off running. I have an idea, let's get a 'feel good' story and make it into one where everybody was bad and we disqualify as many people as possible.

Average person looking at this as a very different reaction and that should tell you something about what the details of the rules are and how they should be applied and how they should be politely ignored. From the comments here many probably disagree but shot yourself in the foot again.

Comment

The runner dragged across the line is listed in the results as DQ.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                  Sport: What could we possibly do to make us less popular and make people want to blow-off running. I have an idea, let's get a 'feel good' story and make it into one where everybody was bad and we disqualify as many people as possible.
                  Overzealous track nerds clamouring for draconian application of rules.....

Comment

Why isn't someone making sure the runner is okay? Dragging her across the line if she's near death isn't as important as dragging her to an ambulance.

Yes, she should be Dq'd.
                    No, the others who were obviously well-meaning, if horribly misguided, shouldn't be Dq'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      A. Yes
                      B. No - they were not AIDED by their efforts.
                      Agree....helpers possible forfeited finish position and collapsed runner DQ does not affect placings.

Comment

Rules have to apply across the board and I'm not sure we need officials trying nuance the various situations which could come up.

My biggest issue is from a medical standpoint. The athlete clearly was not capable of finishing under her own power and this wasn't what appeared to be a lower body injury of any kind. Clearly this was exhaustion. In addition, the women who helped her by dragging her in the fashion they did could have potentially injured the athlete in distress. Why medical people or race officials didn't jump into this mess I'm not sure.

I guess it's a bit of a "feel good" type of story to some and the two women who tried to help did show fine sportsmanship in trying to help but they really shouldn't have been permitted to by the officials.

Comment

Until I saw the video, it appeared from the still pic they were only a few feet from the finish line and officials would not have had time to interfere..... I doubt it occurred to the helpers that they were in any way endangering the collapsed runner.. I don't know if it affected team scoring but both of the helpers gave up many finishing positions. ...it was a selfless gesture to be applauded, not criticized..

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            Until I saw the video, it appeared from the still pic they were only a few feet from the finish line and officials would not have had time to interfere..... I doubt it occurred to the helpers that they were in any way endangering the collapsed runner.. I don't know if it affected team scoring but both of the helpers gave up many finishing positions. ...it was a selfless gesture to be applauded, not criticized..
                            Is there anyone criticizing the helpers?

Comment

I won't bother defending myself against the earlier misguided personal attack.
                              But as Referee, I need a rules-related reason to talk to the coaches of the runners involved. I'm not looking for a reason to DQ them, but these feel-good moments cannot become A Thing.

I have seen runners sit for a minute in a marathon, recover, and finish with a high placing. I have also seen simple exhaustion, hyperventilation, and a fatal heart attack at finish lines. The idea that a runner approaching at ten miles an hour can evaluate from behind that the proper action is to pick someone up should not be encouraged.

Further, many of the posters on this board have worked finish lines next to medical staff who are trained to evaluate runners in distress approaching the finish. They make an informed decision as to whether to go onto the course or to let the runner struggle, crawl, and do whatever to get to the line. Picking up and dragging someone prevents medical from doing their job.

Finally, when the opposing runners carried the fallen runner, that guaranteed a DQ or DNF. For the sake of argument, what if a runner was in the front pack, ran out of gas five yards from the finish, collapsed and was carried the last few feet by competitors to a scoring position. Would this be a feel-good moment?

Comment

Working...
                              X