Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• athletes' "obligation" to fans

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
    See this is what I just don't get about Semenya. Sport shouldn't be about how people "look, speak and run". Fine. So run! Stop farting around.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...-a7201981.html

And run means RUN! As fast as she can. Fans deserve no less.
    She runs and wins against all her main competitors, week in week out yet people still find something to complain about.

Are you saying the same about sprinters who spend all year avoiding each other ? Mo Farah who runs about 3 raced if any consequence every year? Marathon runners who don't chase the clock? Asbel Kiprop who doesn't know if he's coming or going? Deratu Tulu who has never once chased a fast 10k time. Most PV or HJ who increase records 1cm at a time when capable of more.

Would I like to see CS run as fast as she can? If course but maybe she is she's always had the same style and certainly doesn't owe fans anything other than to keep winning in any way she sees fit (actually she doesn't even owe us that)
    i deserve extra credit

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
    She runs and wins against all her main competitors, week in week out yet people still find something to complain about.

Are you saying the same about sprinters who spend all year avoiding each other ? Mo Farah who runs about 3 raced if any consequence every year? Marathon runners who don't chase the clock? Asbel Kiprop who doesn't know if he's coming or going? Deratu Tulu who has never once chased a fast 10k time. Most PV or HJ who increase records 1cm at a time when capable of more.

Would I like to see CS run as fast as she can? If course but maybe she is she's always had the same style and certainly doesn't owe fans anything other than to keep winning in any way she sees fit (actually she doesn't even owe us that)
    Suddenly the conversation has shifted to how much jumpers increment, unnamed marathoners, and a jab at Tulu. I will say it again: Semenya leaves the impression that she is holding back, toying with lesser opponents, giving far less than 100%. That is a giant yawn-provoking approach to sport. Does she owe fans anything? Strictly speaking no, and she could go out there and run around with her middle finger in the air if she wanted, but that might kill the paycheque at some point.

Comment

I've got an idea; if you want to piss and moan about running styles, start another thread. This one is about AOY candidates.

Comment

See this is what I just don't get about Semenya. Sport shouldn't be about how people "look, speak and run". Fine. So run! Stop farting around.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...-a7201981.html

And run means RUN! As fast as she can. Fans deserve no less.
        Fans do not deserve anything. Athletes have no obligation to fans

Comment

Suddenly the conversation has shifted to how much jumpers increment, unnamed marathoners, and a jab at Tulu. I will say it again: Semenya leaves the impression that she is holding back, toying with lesser opponents, giving far less than 100%. That is a giant yawn-provoking approach to sport. Does she owe fans anything? Strictly speaking no, and she could go out there and run around with her middle finger in the air if she wanted, but that might kill the paycheque at some point.
          Like you I think Semenya is holding back a lot and would love to see Semenya really go for it. But if Semenya doesn't want to go for it I guess we all remain tormented in our frustration

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            Let's start a different thread if we're going to discuss this further.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
              Athletes may feel that way, but they should be aware that the money that they live on (prize money, appearance money, endorsements, etc.) all comes ultimately from the support of fans. If, for whatever reason, fans get turned off by the athletes and stop going to track meets and watching track meets on tv, the money will dry up in a hurry. Most pro athletes are aware of that and actively try to help fans be enthusiastic about the sport.

Comment

I realize this thread is about AOY so I will keep this brief. Re tandfman's comments, that's where I believe something called gratitude can come into play. Doesn't have to, but it's always an option for those who choose to exercise it. In its absence, the sport is diminished.

Comment

Likewise, your average business - long after the transaction has been completed - has no obligation to its previous customers. But it's just wise business to treat them a certain way. Long term vision and all.

Remember, without fans there is no demand. Without demand, the athletes don't make much (or any) money.

And I dropped out of business school after my sophomore year! Pretty amazing, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Likewise, your average business - long after the transaction has been completed - has no obligation to its previous customers. But it's just wise business to treat them a certain way. Long term vision and all.
                    And hardcore fans like us on this board aren't just previous customers, they are regulars.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

There have been many athletes over the years who didn't look like they were trying, but you can be sure they were and I am sure Senenya is one of these. Quirot always floated along and never looked like she was giving it her all but that's becaus she ran relaxed, just as Semenya does. An athletes doesn't have to be gritting their teeth and flailing their arms to prove they are giving 100%. In fact, athletes are taught to run relaxed! You can only run as fast as you can.

Now, maybe tactically she could go better; maybe starting her sprint finish sooner, leading at the gun or whatever would make her run faster, but the 800 is and always has been about pacing it correctly. Very rarely do we witness solo run 800s or elite athletes taking it out from the gun at a sensible, exerted and optimal - not suicidal - pace.

Comment

athletes' "obligation" to fans

since this most decidedly didn't belong on the AOY thread....

Comment

So if Semenya pretends to be human, she gets critizised for not giving it everything. If however she did run a full speed race and ended up improving the WR by 2-3 seconds, she would get crucified for not being a woman. Basically there is no way she can get it right.

Comment

Rio looked pretty right to me

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                              So if Semenya pretends to be human, she gets critizised for not giving it everything. If however she did run a full speed race and ended up improving the WR by 2-3 seconds, she would get crucified for not being a woman. Basically there is no way she can get it right.
                              If that's the case, improve it by 0.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X