Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain to adopt Olympic Trials model?

see story linked on front page

I REALLY hope the UK (and other world powers) go to this format, so they too can leave home some of the sport's best athletes, as we do!!!
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-14-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

How many events does the UK actually have where there is any meaningful competition for places on the national team? Even the US, a number of events nowadays have no more than 3 people with the qualifying standard.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
        How many events does the UK actually have where there is any meaningful competition for places on the national team? Even the US, a number of events nowadays have no more than 3 people with the qualifying standard.
        A good point...at most 2 or 3 on the men's side....

But anyways I think it's a great idea. More than once...like the women's 800 last year they leave someone off just because they feel like it. Even though she had the qualifying time and was 3rd in the UK trials.

You know exactly what it takes to make the team...which I think is most important.

Comment

Sprints and maybe wLJ and w middle distances.
          First time they'd have to leave someone like Mo or Jessica at home the UK press would kill their federation.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
            First time they'd have to leave someone like Mo or Jessica at home the UK press would kill their federation.
            I think so, too, but because there are so few events where people would really have to qualify through the trials, a situation like this might not occur very soon.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Does the UK always send everyone who has met the qualifying standard(assuming there are fewer than 4 athletes)? Would this system force the federation to send people they might have otherwise left at home?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                Does the UK always send everyone who has met the qualifying standard(assuming there are fewer than 4 athletes)? Would this system force the federation to send people they might have otherwise left at home?
                As I noted...no...last year they demanded that runners have broken the qualifying time twice...and even then it wasn't enough.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/athletics/36799132

As to your second question...one would hope so.
                Last edited by cubehead; 12-14-2016, 10:18 PM.

Comment

What is the outcome of three past the post? Is the US depth so good that they're likely to see nearly all of their top three make finals? Yes/No? I wonder if it would be the same for the GB team? Would we fry out athletes to get them to peak twice? How would preparation of athletes need to change and how far out from making this change would athletes need to know. Now?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                    Is the US depth so good that they're likely to see nearly all of their top three make finals? Yes/No?
                    Back in the 60s and before, the USA could afford this model - not no mo'.
                    K Harrison is my current poster child for this. But every OG/WC Trials has their problems with people with solid medal chances left home.
                    USATF needs to hurry up and acclaim me Presidente-for-Life so I fix this thang!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Back in the 60s and before, the USA could afford this model - not no mo'.
                      K Harrison is my current poster child for this. But every OG/WC Trials has their problems with people with solid medal chances left home.
                      USATF needs to hurry up and acclaim me Presidente-for-Life so I fix this thang!
                      It absolutely killed the US in the women's 100mh in Rio.

Comment

This will not happen in UK
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
                          This will not happen in UK
                          Mump - do you think this is to do with depth or because of the funding available to athletes. I guess there's no risk that the ROI of a funded athlete in the US as there is no funding structure as such.

Comment

Firstly it doesn't make any sense, as previously noted we only have the depth in about 5 events to even make it relevant. Also there is no way the federation would allow so much power out of their hands.

At the moment we have what should be a very simple selection system that they have over complicated with so many additional criteria that nobody understands it, which is exactly what they want.
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

British selectors can be guaranteed to make a pig's ear out of team selection no matter what policies are written down. Come the revolution ...

Comment

Working...
                              X