Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTEP's Korir sets world indoor record in 600 [now 1:43.73 outdoors]

Emmanuel Korir of UTEP ran 1:14.97 at New Mexico's Cherry & Silver meet at Albuquerque today to break the WIR in the 600. Previous WIR was 1:15.12 by Germany's Nico Motchebon.
    Last edited by gh; 04-29-2017, 11:03 PM.

Questions---

Exact birthdate?
    (Is he yet another of UTEP's 25 year old freshmen??)

Is Emmanuel Korir---5K & 10K guy from early 80's---his father?
    Or ANY relation?

He took down the WR and CR and (maybe!) the Collegiate Frosh Class record and whatever Age he is Age record and the Kenya National Record!!

BTW, I believe 3 other guys ran in the 1:17's behind him!

I saw a video (on Twitter) of the whole race!
    He ran 2nd for 400 before taking the lead right AT 400 mark!
    Had about 10 meter lead at 500, then extended it to maybe 20 meters at finish!

Comment

IAAF has no birth date information and they only show one best for him last year with a 1:46 800.

Comment

"I saw a video (on Twitter) of the whole race!"

Dear Aaronk:
        Would you show the link/address? Thank.
        GHM

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post
          "I saw a video (on Twitter) of the whole race!"

Dear Aaronk:
          Would you show the link/address? Thank.
          GHM
          It's on the twitter account of @ChrisChavez, and the tweet came on at 7:34 p.m. tonight----about 3 hours ago!
          Sorry, that's the best I can do!
          It appears to be from an iPhone or whatever----a bit shakey, but entire race is shown!
          Announcer and crowd noise is heard too!

ADD: Just watched it again. It starts about 50-60 meters into the race! And it's VERY shakey!
          Last edited by aaronk; 01-21-2017, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Incredible mark! This record has been chased down so many times by almost all the top 800m runners (Solomon, Loxsom, Aman, Ksczcot...) and NONE of them could take it down. Now we have this never-known kenyan 1.46 athlete (who ran 1.46 indoor, BTW) who manages to take it down. I am stunned. Mark English said he wanted to make an attempt this year, though. And we have 600s and USATF's championships... I wonder if anyone will lower it, but I doubt.

Comment

Altitude certainly helped

Comment

TFRRS also has no DOB information. Shows these marks -- from last Fall XC, 25:45 at CUSA championship (25th place); 33:35 NCAA Mountain regional (83); 33:33 NCAA (249). And from Vanderbilt meet last weekend, 1:46.50.

Comment

UTEP's brief report on the race here:

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Also links to their page for the athlete, but all it says is he is from Iten, in Kenya.

El Paso Times article from a few days ago, reporting on his mark from last week's 800, with some more info on and comments about his background, from coach Paul Ereng:

Last edited by Master Po; 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Perusing profiles of him in Tilastopaja and all-athletics, also no DOB info, and these marks from last year:
                    14 May Central Rift Ch Eldoret 1:47.38
                    27 May KEN Ch Nairobi 1:47.70 sf (1st)
                    28 May " " 1:46.94 (8th)

Comment

Originally posted by Atanvarno View Post
                      Altitude certainly helped
                      No, the 800 is a distance where the effects of less wind resistance is matched by the lower oxygen content.

Comment

Big Shout to Mr. Chris Chavez who placed a personal video on his tweeter account.

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        It's on the twitter account of @ChrisChavez, and the tweet came on at 7:34 p.m!
                        Thank you very much. Here is the link and it is better than nothing!

GHM

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                          No, the 800 is a distance where the effects of less wind resistance is matched by the lower oxygen content.
                          If altitude has a neutral effect at 800, it has to be helpful in anything below that distance, which includes the 600.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Korir was a member of Complete Sports Kenya (http://www.complete-sports.org/Start...e__Sports.html), described on their website as the first Athletics Traning Centre in Kenya that is registered as a society.

Here is their Facebook page celebrating his accomplishment. https://www.facebook.com/CompleteSportsKenya/

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                              If you're referring to thinner air, that might be a better term than "wind resistance". This was an indoor meet and an indoor record. Wind was not a factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X