Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ban and 2024 bid

Don't know if this was discussed but I would like to know if you think the ban will negatively impact LA chance? I had my heart set on been in LA for 2024, so much for trump spoiling the party

You do know "the ban" expires in 85 days, right?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, worrying about 2024...
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post

But the decision is in September this year.
      In the current political climate, if LA will be elected it will be more surprising result than the US election.
      I need to work on my French connections

Comment

You do know the impression/opinion dosent dissipate when the ban expire.

Comment

Hosting 2026 World FIFA Cup is online as well.

2017 World weightlifting championship is in south California in late November.

Comment

I can't see this one ending well.

Comment

The ramifications of "the ban" will last for years to come.

Comment

"The ban" was only supposed to be applied to citizens of 7 Middle East countries, but it looks like they've implicitly extended it to Trinidadian citizens with Muslim names.

https://twitter.com/s_m_i
                My husband, a Trinidadian citizen and a US permanent resident, is currently detained at FLL. CBP says he has "no right to counsel".
                Shout out to the two immigration lawyers at FLL holding it down on his behalf.
                After 3 hours, as of 18:15 PT, he's out. Just spoke to him. He was asked, among other things, about his ethnicity and "how he got his name".

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                  "The ban" was only supposed to be applied to citizens of 7 Middle East countries, but it looks like they've implicitly extended it to Trinidadian citizens with Muslim names.

https://twitter.com/s_m_i

Let me know when it hits the mainstream news(and if it's legit it will, considering news outlets are staking out every airport looking for just this type of situation). Til then you'll excuse me if I dont jump to believe twitter accounts of those with agendas.

And speaking of Trinidad...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170...a-policy-in-tt

Comment

Originally posted by olorin View Post
                    But the decision is in September this year.
                    In the current political climate, if LA will be elected it will be more surprising result than the US election.

Alan Abrahamson, on why the LA Olympic sky is not falling

http://www.3wiresports.com/2017/01/2...-lets-chillax/

Comment

Alan Abrahamson, on why the LA Olympic sky is not falling

http://www.3wiresports.com/2017/01/2...-lets-chillax/
                      The ONLY part that is convincing in the article is that if the part about Le Pen being elected to French president. The part about China and Russia is extremely weak (and I am being diplomatic here). The world has different expectations from the US than from Putin and Company. In my opinion, the only realistic chance for LA, is if Le Pan will win the French election, which is this stage is unlikely (her best poll in the second round is 43% and usually she gets ~35%).
                      See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio..._2017#February
                      Last edited by olorin; 02-02-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but I'd think one plus for the USA as an Olympic host in normal times is a great deal of stability. The last three weeks have been a departure from that stability.

Comment

Ehh, I actually don't mind US not hosting the Olympics, mainly financial reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                            Ehh, I actually don't mind US not hosting the Olympics, mainly financial reasons.
                            You mean financial in terms of taxpayer dollars? LA '84, ATL '96, and Salt Lake City '02 were funded by private sponsorships and donations at no net expense to the taxpayers.

Comment

Closer to 2017, how does the ban change things for foreign athletes planning to compete in NCAA, Pre and other domestic meets? Not only those athletes from the banned countries, but also other foreign athletes who'll say "screw the US, I'll pass".

Another potential bit of T&F-related fallout: will foreign crowds act more negatively towards US athletes, similar to Brazillians v. Lavillenie in Rio?
                              Last edited by bad hammy; 02-02-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X