Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy crap, Mondo [19-4¼/5.90] [HSIR 19-1½, 19-3½] [19-5 WJR] [19-5½] [19-6¼] [6.05!]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap, Mondo [19-4¼/5.90] [HSIR 19-1½, 19-3½] [19-5 WJR] [19-5½] [19-6¼] [6.05!]

Just minutes ago. Highest ever Junior indoors, right? Looks like =#4 absolute list with the 5.72. I imagine outdoor AJR holder Andrew Irwin's 5.72 came when he was 19 ... I think Mondo is 17(?)

Last edited by gh; 08-13-2018, 12:00 AM.

His marks won't count for American Junior records since he represents Sweden internationally, but I assume he has all of the Swedish Junior Records by now?

That qualifies him for Worlds in London this summer!

Comment

I would expect the video to appear on the interwebs soon since I saw his mother video recording his jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
        His marks won't count for American Junior records since he represents Sweden internationally, but I assume he has all of the Swedish Junior Records by now?

That qualifies him for Worlds in London this summer!
        Yes, old marks were 5.50 both indoor and outdoor, he already had them beat before this. 5.72 sees him climb to 7th all-time, and T3rd indoor among men. The Swedish records are 5.87/5.81i.

Comment

So much for my bold prediction that he'd jump 5.70 some time this calendar year.
          Can 19' really be very far off?

I don't want to jinx him, but he still so physically undeveloped, I can imagine him being the 2020 Oly Chmp at near WR height as a 20 yo!
          Last edited by Atticus; 02-05-2017, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            So much for my bold prediction that he'd jump 5.70 some time this calendar year.
            Can 19' really be very far off?
            I'm no expert, but he seemed to have a lot left in the tank based on his series (5.20-O, 5.50-O, 5.65-XO, 5.72-O) and his final clearance from my vantage point.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I don't want to jinx him, but he still so physically undeveloped, I can imagine him being the 2020 Oly Chmp at near WR height as a 20 yo!
            He is still slight of build but he's noticeably bigger than last year as you would expect for a 17-year-old boy.

Comment

I have the video posted at twitter.com/polevaultpower

Comment

His marks won't count for American Junior records since he represents Sweden internationally . . .
                As I read the rule, you don't have to be able to represent the US internationally in order to set an American Record. You only have to be an American citizen. If he has dual citizenship, he should be able to set American Junior records.

See USATF Rule 26.1(a).

Comment

What differentiates Duplantis from all of the other young hopefuls? Others were men among boys. Duplantis looks his age. He is not tall. He is superbly coached.

Is he exceptionally fast? Fearless? Something else?
                  Last edited by Dave; 02-06-2017, 05:27 AM.

Comment

He's quick, agile, strong, coordinated and super-technical. But . . . and this is scary - he will get faster, stronger and all-around better.

Comment

I'd actually say, based on seeing him in person at the WJC last year, that he looks younger than his age. And he wasn't just scrawny, but pretty short as well. Maybe he has or will still grow a bit in height.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                        I'd actually say, based on seeing him in person at the WJC last year, that he looks younger than his age. And he wasn't just scrawny, but pretty short as well. Maybe he has or will still grow a bit in height.
                        He's at least couple inches taller than he was last year.

Comment

He is currently around 5'11" 150lbs on a 5 meter 15.8 (16'5 190).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                            What differentiates Duplantis from all of the other young hopefuls? Others were men among boys. Duplantis looks his age. He is not tall. He is superbly coached.

Is he exceptionally fast? Fearless? So,etching else?
                            He has been passionate and serious about the pole vault since a very young age and dedicated himself to it the same way we see young gymnasts and swimmers do. Honestly, I think his dad guides him more than coaches him, Mondo has always been the one studying the event and pushing things. It's a great combo of a passionate kid and parents who are supportive without being pushy, knowledgeable/able/willing to give him the tools he needed to succeed.

His technique has always set him apart from his peers. He is now a decent height, but as a child breaking all of the younger age records, he was much smaller than the other kids his age, which made his records even more special.

Comment

He is currently around 5'11" 150lbs on a 5 meter 15.8 (16'5 190).
                              That may be the most amazing thing of all - he can push a 16'5 pole to vertical!! If he can use that big a pole now, what'll the future bring??!!

Comment

Working...
                              X