Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best High School Record ever

In the thread on Mondo Duplantis and his winter exploits, one person wrote: "So, I'll repeat my guess that he gets to 5.80 indoors and that will be the peak for this year."

If he gets to 5.80 either this year or next, that would put his HSR in the pantheon of best HSRs ever along side recent additions 1.99 by Vashti Cunningham, Candace Hill's 10.98, Syd Mclaughlin's 54.15 and counting, the legendary 81' Put by Michael Carter, Alan Webb's 3:53, or maybe Allyson Felix's 22.11.

Which one of these tops the rest? Or perhaps another one is up for the title.

Thoughts?

Lukas Verzbicas' 8:29 and Webb's 3:53.

Of course, in Kenya I don't think you're allowed to graduate if you haven't run these times.

Comment

Carter's record is the best, and has stood for 37+ years.

Comment

Apropos of nothing, here are the common events where the HSR is within 5% of the WR.
        For men:
        m400: 43.03 vs. 44.69 = 3.86%
        m100: 9.58 vs. 10.00 = 4.38%
        mMile: 3:43.13 vs. 3:53.26 = 4.54%
        m200: 19.19 vs. 20.09 = 4.69%

For women:
        w400H: 52.34 vs. 54.15 = 3.46%
        w100: 10.61 vs. 10.98 = 3.49% (note: 10.61 used as WR)
        w200: 21.34 vs. 22.11 = 3.61%
        wHJ: 2.09 vs. 1.99 = 4.78%

Of course it is hard to compare HS events that have a different implement, e.g. shot put.

Comment

When I think of 'ridiculous' HS records, I think of Carter first and Webb second. 19' would put Mondo squarely in that category.

Comment

In a field event, you still have to do it alone while in elite competition. In running events, you are pulled along by better elite athletes. Would not put Webb's mark as high for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by halharkness View Post
              In a field event, you still have to do it alone while in elite competition. In running events, you are pulled along by better elite athletes. Would not put Webb's mark as high for that reason.
              On the other hand, Webb had to put himself in a position to be able (mentally and physically) to withstand the pace. All Carter had to do was put out one brief (herculean) effort. The result is exactly the same. Ryun was an outlier and then Webb outlay (?!) him!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                On the other hand, Webb had to put himself in a position to be able (mentally and physically) to withstand the pace. All Carter had to do was put out one brief (herculean) effort. The result is exactly the same. Ryun was an outlier and then Webb outlay (?!) him!
                My thoughts as well. I don't want to take away from the accomplishments of field athletes or make light of their disciplines in any way. But for a high school kid to endure the pain it takes to run a 3:53 (or 8:29) - that just impresses me more.

Comment

When was the last time a U.S. high-schooler broke a world record, indoors or out? More likely, I think it happened indoors first.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                    Carter's record is the best, and has stood for 37+ years.
                    Absolutely. Nothing close.

Comment

As of right now, I'd put (sic!) Jordan Geist's 68-4 with the 16 pound SP on top!!
                      It still ranks 4th or so on the 2017 WORLD list!!

(Not apropos, but Raven Saunders's 62-8 ranks FIRST!!)

As for the other HSR's, you have to separate INdoors from OUTdoors---in ALL events!!
                      If you do, then INdoors, here's my lists---

Men
                      Geist's 68-4
                      McCullough's 93-3.25 with the HS WT
                      Duplantis's 18-10.25
                      Casey Combest's 6.57
                      Hunter's 3:57.81

Women
                      Cunningham's 6-6.25
                      Sammy Watson's 1:27.13
                      Watson's 2:01.78
                      Mary Cain's 4:11.72 & 4:28.25 (Pro marks not included!)
                      Tonea Marshall's 8.02

I don't consider OT marks legit, so also not considered (such as Efraimson's 9:00.16 in Seattle)!
                      Last edited by aaronk; 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                        When was the last time a U.S. high-schooler broke a world record, indoors or out? More likely, I think it happened indoors first.
                        FWIW, Casey Carrigan attempted the PV World Record at Golden West in 1969. I've always considered him to be the greatest high school vaulter of all-time (he made the Olympic Team as a HS Junior and nearly made the final save for a now defunct rule), but I think Mondo has surpassed him, or will.

Of course it's a little hard to compare the two, as the pole vault of those days was in the relative infancy of fiberglass poles.

Mondo is farther from the WR than Carrigan was, but both are/were competitive with the elite vaulters of their day. Mondo wasn't quite to the Olympic qualifying height as a sophomore, but as a junior he is. I think he'd have a great chance of making the team even if he was competing for Team USA. I mean we'll see what kinds of heights he can consistently jump outdoors, but last year, excluding Sam Kendricks, we only had two men in the US who jumped 5.70+ two times or more.

If Mondo can jump in the 5.70 area consistently, that's big at the elite level. There are a decent number of men who jump 5.70+ every year, but when you start looking at who can jump it 2x, 3x, 4x, etc, that list gets much smaller fast.

The fact that he's been over 18' in every meet this year (4 meets) is also mind blowing as a high schooler. I think he's cleared 9 18'+ bars in those 4 meets.

Comment

Considering his body height, to say Duplantis is "head and shoulders" above everyone else is a misnomer!
                          LOL

Comment

Hmm maybe not the greatest HS records in terms of pure time, but all the Slaney's American and world records she set when she was still a teenager!

Comment

I consider Ryun's 3:55.3 ( an AR ) far superior to Webb's 3:53 something. Ryun ran his in the AAU championship, and WON the race, beating some double Olympic Champ from the year before named Snell.

Comment

Working...
                              X