Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro Indoors

Euro Indoors in Belgrade now underway. Live results here.

Thiam on a very good pace in the pentathlon, with a 8.23 - 196 - 15.29 start; 650 in the LJ and 2:16.94 in the 800 would get her the WR, which is a pretty big ask but not unthinkable.

Dutkiewicz looked good in the w60H heats, leading with 7.86. Laura Muir saved energy in the w3000 heats, qualifying on time!

Finland's Kristiina Mäkelä qualified for the wTJ final with a season best 14.18 Hopefully she can break her own indoor NR (14.20) tomorrow; that could put her in medal contention.

Was a bit worried about Muir---thought she might become the first BIG casualty!!
    WHEW!

Thought Maslak was a bit too arrogant---looking over his shoulder 4 or 5 times---daring anyone to try to pass him!
    Bolt does that too---but with a sense of humor!!

Thiam!!
    WOW!! Her 3rd attempt at 1.99 was pretty good!!

Looks like that Dutkiewicz gal is for real!
    Was a bit doubtful when she PR'ed by 0.28---from 8.07 to 7.79---but now she's backed it up with a 7.86 in a heat---so appears to be the real thing!

That woman who crashed in the 400----went to a hospital!!---reminded me of the crashes of Simpson & Rowbury a couple of years ago!
    But I could see it coming--when 4 or 5 of them crowded together as they passed the 200---too close together, all trying for position!!

One of the Pentathletes---can't remember who---has GREAT tattoo's on her arms!!
    LOL

BTW, I posted a Preview of the Euro meet (and one for USATF) on my blog---predicting which Meet Records might fall, and naming the top contenders for every event!!
    Last edited by aaronk; 03-03-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

How is Dutkiewicz pronounced? As it is in Polish with -wicz as -vich (or -witsch in German)? I'm asking because the German tennis player Sabine Lisicki's surname, which is also Polish (but without the feminine inflection -cka!), is pronounced LiZICKi as though it was a German name, not LiSITSky as it would be in Polish.

Comment

Heptathlon field is not really exciting, but the competition has been quite good so far in comparison with my expectations.

Comment

Sanna Kallur makes the final Albeit she only ran 8.12 and isn't likely to make any impact, but it's presumably the last competition of her career, so a nice way to go.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by andyjgt View Post
            How is Dutkiewicz pronounced? As it is in Polish with -wicz as -vich (or -witsch in German)? I'm asking because the German tennis player Sabine Lisicki's surname, which is also Polish (but without the feminine inflection -cka!), is pronounced LiZICKi as though it was a German name, not LiSITSky as it would be in Polish.
            LOL, it's not as if many commentators had the opportunity to do it yet, but generally her name is mangled into -witz because that sound more comfortable to a German tongue and ear than pronouncing her as in -vich. I'm tempted to write them that she's not a joke (witz=joke). The Lisicki name has basically left its native surroundings because as you correctly remark she should be named Lisicka, but German doesn't know this inflection, so they might just as well properly massacre her name in the pronounciation as well. And it's not only the ck which is pronounced differently, the s is also a very soft s in Polish for which German knows no equivalent.

Back to the sport, I hope it's going to be an exciting final with most likely Dutkiewicz, Roleder and Talay collecting the medals and hopefully a good winning time on top..

Comment

6.37 for Thiam and the chance of a WR is pretty much gone. She'd need to do 2:14 to pull it off.

Comment

17.52 for Max Heß in the TJ qualifying!

Five men over 580 in the PV already.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                  17.52 for Max Heß in the TJ qualifying!
                  Yup, that eliminates the 26 year old national record which was 17.31. I think it's just a matter of time until he gets the 17.66 from outdoor, too.

Comment

17.52 for Max Heß in the TJ qualifying!....
                    some of us were predicting Max's ascension last year... Finally a worthy competitor for Christian Taylor.

Comment

Five men over 580 in the PV already.
                      And the competition ended with six men at 5.80 and above. Before the EIC, Lisek had been the only European over that height this year.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                        some of us were predicting Max's ascension last year... Finally a worthy competitor for Christian Taylor.
                        "Finally" -- how quickly we forget that another ~18m jumper was coming on to the seen, and his teammate beat him at the Trials, if I recall correctly. But, yes, another worthy competitor.

Comment

They say the floor of the arena is very bouncy. Not great for runners (and the banking is very gentle too, which hurts performances in the 400), but it clearly benefits jumpers.

Comment

Grrr, this embarassing false start orgy has ruined a potentially great hurdle race, at least regarding the times.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                              They say the floor of the arena is very bouncy. Not great for runners (and the banking is very gentle too, which hurts performances in the 400), but it clearly benefits jumpers.
                              Heß said after his jump, the track was very fast and like the one in Portland which suited him well.

Comment

Working...
                              X