Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Watching Grant Holloway, I wondered if 5 to 10 years ago, he would have been a dual-sport athlete splitting his time with football, rather than a full-time track and field athlete. Certainly recent news about the long-term affects of concussions, the increasing number of early NFL retirements and Devon Allen's two major football injuries had to have influenced his decision.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post

P.S. Maybe if the Ducks didn't spend all their INdoor season in---Seattle----Just saying!!
    To correct a previous comment, there are no banked tracks in the Pac 12. However, the Duck sprinters ran at both Albuquerque and the Armory this year and have a pattern of running on at least two banked tracks each year prior to nationals. Needless to say, that doesn't at all replicate training on a banked track. We Eugenians have been waiting for years for Uncle Phil to cough up the cash to build an indoor facility.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    There were no comments on the Woman's vault, which is not too surprising because it was pretty lackluster by recent standards.
    We have become jaded by some of the more recent great breakthroughs.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    There were no comments on the Woman's vault, which is not too surprising because it was pretty lackluster by recent standards. Despite coming in as favorites the Weeks sisters went out pretty early (making 4.25 and 4.35, I think, and scored almost no points rather than the possible 18). The winning height was 4.45, not too bad but not really what was expected, and only two made that height.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    While reading the list of NCAA Indoor winners from the link on the front page, I believe I noticed that all of the winners in the women's events (not sure about relays) are American citizens. Not true for the men's winners.

Did some checking on the relays. All of USC's team are American citizens except one runner from Norway. Cameron Pettigrew's grandfather is George Kerr (1960 Rome Olympic bronze medal in the 800 and relay). I think Cameron Pettigrew ran the first leg for USC's team.

Everyone on Colorado's relay team are American citizens. Looks as if that leaves one woman from Norway in the gold medal department, unless I am missing something.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 03-12-2017, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Also, in the midst of the discussion, its important to note Washington ended up running 22.42 to with the 200m, which surpasses VCB for the #2 NCAA time and is only .02 off of the NCAA record.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A woman (an athlete!) does something bad, and we can't criticize her??
    Because of her age?
    Because she's an Oregon Duck?
    Because she's female?
    I don't think running out of your lane is "bad". It's an error that cost her standing in her event. She probably felt quite discouraged for a while after the race. She may have lost an American record. I think shoplifting and telling lies are "bad". DS made a mistake, she's not a bad person.

Age, school affiliation, and gender have nothing to do with why people responded to your post as they did. It was your choice of words, including "stupid", that came across as mean. For someone who does so much writing, some more contemplative editing prior to posting wouldn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    I absolutely agree. What could be better than the home team winning the team title by coming from behind in the final straight to win the last race of the meet! Very exciting, no matter what team you were rooting for.
    You might have a point. I recall the 2010 NCAA Outdoors in Eugene where the home team ran stride for stride down the homestretch on the final leg of the 4x400 to edge out a challenger in a photo finish to the deafening roar of the crowd, but that didn't win them the team title. I also recall meets such as 2012 NCAA Outdoors, where a team came from behind on the anchor leg of the 4x400 to clinch the team title, but they didn't do it at home. And at the 2002 NCAA Outdoors, LSU clinched the team with the 4x400 at home, but the race was someone anti-climatic since they went into it with the lead and didn't need to win it in order to clinch the title (they placed 3rd). Yesterday's 4x400 combined all three elements of drama.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Because of her age?
    Because she's female?
    Look at it this way:
    You screw up sometimes, right? You don't mean to. To err is human.
    Do you want some guy on the internet to discuss your screw-ups for every one interested in T&F to read?
    Keep the negative comments about well-meaning athletes to yourself (or your blog).

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    One of the greatest finishes I have ever seen to an NCAA meet.
    I absolutely agree. What could be better than the home team winning the team title by coming from behind in the final straight to win the last race of the meet! Very exciting, no matter what team you were rooting for.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Oh, come on, admit it---you (& others here!) just like to criticize ME!!
    (LOL)
    But seriously, let's look at this for real!
    Because of her age?
    Because she's female?
    But yes, maybe I went a bit overboard in my "vitriol"!
    Because the self admitted "vitriol" was uncalled for.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
    UO is miles ahead in the women's scoring. No worries there.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    I was having a demented moment when I wrote that. Got my girls and boys mixed up for a minute .

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    You take it to a personal level and not just in this case. Referring to someone's actions as stupid shouldn't be part of your criticism. There are multiple posters here giving you the same "feedback".

We just witnessed a meet with some pretty good performances and you're ranting about one and inappropriately.
    Wait until you read my blog post about the NCAA---if you do!
    And see how LITTLE space I give to Stevens's DQ!!
    Guaranteed (Haven't written it yet!) it will be---TINY!!

As you noted, too much FANTASTIC stuff happened there to make the DQ more than a footnote in passing!

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Oh, come on, admit it---you (& others here!) just like to criticize ME!!
    (LOL)
    But seriously, let's look at this for real!
    Because of her age?
    Because she's female?
    You take it to a personal level and not just in this case. Referring to someone's actions as stupid shouldn't be part of your criticism. There are multiple posters here giving you the same "feedback".

We just witnessed a meet with some pretty good performances and you're ranting about one and inappropriately.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Fastest split of the race goes to Grant Holloway on the second leg (44.81). Is this guy a stud muffin or what?
    He doesn't even look like it's an effort for him. Fabulous athlete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X