• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCSIGMA View Post
    Stevens has been DQed
    Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
    she will run faster than 21.98
    She has likely learned her lesson once and for all and will not repeat this at a much more crucial moment , like Gwen Torrence Gothenburg '95. If she's never seen video of that race, I hope her coach sits her down and has her watch it. Probably the greatest half lap ever run by a woman, given the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhE0kzBC1Lw

Faster than 21.98? Maybe next year.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
      I thought she might have stepped on the line half a dozen times in the first turn. Absolutely stupid running, there is no reason that she should be red-lining the curve and she did it the whole race (and went outside her lane after the first turn as well, I think). I was going to comment on her very likely up for DQ but was too busy with the meet and the Wisconsin BB game (and dinner).
      She was so all over her lane during the entire lap that, if she were driving a car in that fashion, she'd have been pulled over and given a breathalyzer.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        She was so all over her lane during the entire lap that, if she were driving a car in that fashion, she'd have been pulled over and given a breathalyzer.
        Sprinting while souced, sloshed, and sauced? DUI- dashing under the influence.

Comment

There are not a lot of banked-200m tracks in the Pac-12; she looked inexperienced running on that surface. She should be more comfortable outdoors.

Comment

There are not a lot of banked-200m tracks in the Pac-12; she looked inexperienced running on that surface. She should be more comfortable outdoors.
            I agree and note, before this race, she has run a banked 200m a total of 5 times since starting at Oregon last year. Prior to that was in 2013, If I recall, as she graduated from Cardozo HS that year.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
              I agree and note, before this race, she has run a banked 200m a total of 5 times since starting at Oregon last year. Prior to that was in 2013, If I recall, as she graduated from Cardozo HS that year.
              I would imagine someone attending Cardozo HS would be fairly experienced running on a banked track. She's probably run many races and perhaps even trained at the Armory facility. I understand you point out more recent times however I don't think anyone forgets how to navigate a banked track.

Comment

In the last two years before yesterday Stevens had run five 200m races indoors, all but one on a banked 200m track. She'd had one race this year, at the New York City Armory's banked track.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  I would imagine someone attending Cardozo HS would be fairly experienced running on a banked track. She's probably run many races and perhaps even trained at the Armory facility. I understand you point out more recent times however I don't think anyone forgets how to navigate a banked track.
                  Sure, but she is literally way over a second faster both indoors and out since having left Cardozo almost 4 years ago and, as noted, being in the Pac12 does not allow her to train and/or compete frequently on banked tracks. I personally don't think 4 banked 200 races in 4 years is a lot.
                  In an interview after the DQ, she noted that she found it hard running that fast and staying in the small lanes is difficult for her because she is taller.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
                    In the last two years before yesterday Stevens had run five 200m races indoors, all but one on a banked 200m track. She'd had one race this year, at the New York City Armory's banked track.
                    And in '14 and '15 she ran no indoor 200s.

As a prep senior in '13 she ran 4 of them, all at the Armory. 2 heats and 2 finals.

Comment

Why all the excuses & alibis?
                      She ran out of her lane---PERIOD!!

She's an adult!
                      She's highly trained by her coaches!

That she has limited experience running on a certain type of track should have NOTHING to do with her STUPID and excuseLESS performance!!

Her fault--her consequences!!

Sad to lose a Collegiate Record, but it was HER doing!!

P.S. Maybe if the Ducks didn't spend all their INdoor season in---Seattle----Just saying!!

Comment

aaronk -- Here is my $.01 worth of opinion on this, not that it matters: I did not read anything in the posts preceding yours that seemed like excuses or alibis, or claims to be untrained, poorly coached, etc. Instead, I thought I was reading some interesting discussion and analysis of why that performance may have turned out the way it did.

Is it really necessary to describe this misstep in performance as "STUPID"? Your enthusiasm for the efforts and performances of athletes, especially younger ones, is admirable. Moreover, I am sure I have read your critiques here of the negativity and personal attacks that are common on other message boards, and I would agree with such assessments. So, your vitriol here, over this DQ, is surprising to me.

Comment

That anyone even mentioned her lack of banked track experience SOUNDED like an excuse to me!
                          Maybe it wasn't meant that way!

That said, having no---or little--experience on banked tracks shouldn't have anything to do with running out of your lane!

This was a heat, and she obviously was going to make the final!
                          So why take the chance of a DQ---in a heat?
                          She said in an interview that she WANTED to run fast in her heat---to make a statement!

But look what happened!
                          If she had been more careful, she might have STILL gotten the CR---AND made the final!
                          But she lost both!!

(Not that it's comparable,but the same can be said of anyone who false starts!)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                            That anyone even mentioned her lack of banked track experience SOUNDED like an excuse to me!
                            Maybe it wasn't meant that way!

That said, having no---or little--experience on banked tracks shouldn't have anything to do with running out of your lane!
                            Go back an read the comments, pausing to actually read them.

As for the notion that experience with running on steeply banked tracks should not have anything to do with running out of your lane (and, in fact, running all over the place as she ran out of her lane to the outside coming off the curve) seems to me to be rather naive with no one else expressing any opinion that seemed remotely close to that sentiment. If you were watching closely throughout the meet you would have seen many more people 'stumbling' compared to a standard outdoor track or to the nice 300OTs. The 200 is the event that is most affected because the runners are going so hard. Not sure, but are the indoor lanes narrower than typical outdoor 48"/122cm?

Comment

Not sure, but are the indoor lanes narrower than typical outdoor 48"/122cm?
                              According to this IAAF document from 2008, lanes are 90cm:

https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/documents/technical

IAAF Track and Field Facilities Manual 2008 Edition - Marking Plan 200m Indoor Track which is under the Manuals and Guidles section.
                              Last edited by ATK; 03-11-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Having much experience running sprints indoors - many years ago and not at the competitive level of Ms. Stevens - I can affirm that practice helps but also that, unlike outdoors, not all indoor tracks are alike. I personally ran on at least 4 different track configurations/surfaces a year. Nothing better than going from a flat track to a track that resembled the letter D to a track with an inch high rail on the inside - try running a 300 full out with everyone cutting to lane 1. Step on the rail and you're adz over teapot.

The 200 indoors is a far different event than outdoors and her lack of experience showed. It's too bad but she has a long (hopefully) career ahead of her.

Comment

Working...
                                X