Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Prefontaine 2017 Friday night

Friday night at Pre seems to be Women's night - interesting! No 10K's??

2017 DATE: May 26-27

2017 EVENTS:
    FRIDAY – 8:15 PM START
    WOMEN
    200 METERS HIGH SCHOOL*
    800 METERS NATIONAL*
    1500 METERS NATIONAL*
    2000 METERS*
    STEEPLECHASE*
    IDL LONG JUMP
    IDL JAVELIN THROW
    SATURDAY - 12:30 PM START
    MEN
    IDL 100 METERS
    200 METERS HIGH SCHOOL*
    IDL 400 METERS
    INTERNATIONAL MILE *
    IDL BOWERMAN MILE
    IDL 5000 METERS
    110 HIGH HURDLES*
    IDL POLE VAULT
    IDL TRIPLE JUMP
    IDL SHOT PUT
    WOMEN
    100 METERS*
    IDL 200 METERS
    IDL 800 METERS
    1500 METERS*
    IDL 100 HURDLES
    IDL 400 HURDLES
    IDL HIGH JUMP

*Additional Event

What is "IDL"?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
      What is "IDL"?
      IAAF Diamond League??

Comment

I don't normally go to Pre, but if Mondo Duplantis were to somehow end up there, I would do whatever it takes to make that happen... even if it means being there with both kids!

Comment

Note W 2000 Friday night -- could this be another record attempt for "Baby Baby"? She ran 5:27.50 in a record attempt in 2014, then got the absolute record indoors this year at 5:23.75. There's not DL 1500 or 5000 in Eugene, although there's a non-DL W 1500 Saturday.
          Too bad about the 10k. I have a vague recollection that there will be a non-DL 10,000 in one of the other DL meets this year. Anyone?
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
            Note W 2000 Friday night -- could this be another record attempt for "Baby Baby"? She ran 5:27.50 in a record attempt in 2014, then got the absolute record indoors this year at 5:23.75. There's not DL 1500 or 5000 in Eugene, although there's a non-DL W 1500 Saturday.
            Too bad about the 10k. I have a vague recollection that there will be a non-DL 10,000 in one of the other DL meets this year. Anyone?
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank
            Woodland, CA, USA
            Interesting, even if it doesn't make too much sense for her to go after a record the IAAF already recognize for her. If I were her I'd rather try for the mile record, she missed it by nothing last year in Italy because of poor pace-making and strong wind.

BTW, mSP looks amazing. A shame they will show only top three on TV. I feel envious for those who can watch it live or with a cam. I know Eurosport started to let you choose between the cameras last year.

Comment

Rupp's 10000m AR might outlive anyone reading this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post
                Rupp's 10000m AR might outlive anyone reading this thread.
                Chelimo and Cheserek might have a shot, and there are just too many good runners coming through now and remember in a one-off, linebacker Solinsky denied Rupp the record on Rupp's first major attempt.

Comment

Chelimo and Cheserek might have a shot, and there are just too many good runners coming through now and remember in a one-off, linebacker Solinsky denied Rupp the record on Rupp's first major attempt.
                  Great runner that he is, I can't see Cheserek breaking Rupp's time - of course, now that I have said he will probably go out and prove me wrong.

Comment

I see Ches doing---at least potentially!---what Lawi Lalang did his senior year---AFTER the NCAA meet---
                    He ran his 5000 PR of 13:00.75!
                    Ches has that kind of potential---in a DL paced race!!
                    Ditto with the 10K---I can see him breaking 27:00!
                    Doesn't really matter that he hasn't come anywhere near that yet!
                    He's been running for team points---mostly!

In a paced Professional race, watch out!!

Comment

My comment goes to the disappearance of the 10000m from the Prefontaine schedule as a symptom of the continuing demise (and possible IAAF extinction) of the event.

Over the last eight years, only one race worldwide has seen anyone run faster than the winning 26:44 Rupp ran at Pre 2014: Brussels 2011. And even that was only by the barest of margins, with K. Bekele and Lucas Rotich finishing 1-2 on that occasion in 26:43.xx.

Runners expect to be paced when going for record times and setting up a sufficient "critical mass" for an event whose profile continues to decline is increasingly unlikely to occur. Rupp benefited from excellent pacing (courtesy of Nike's efforts) at Pre 2014 but still had to pull out a closing 1:57 800m to run 26:44.

I'm not holding my breath for either the WR or AR to be broken.

Comment

A 10,000 is basically an impossible sell in the context of a modern invitational meet. Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          A 10,000 is basically an impossible sell in the context of a modern invitational meet. Sad but true.
                          Date of the meet being so close to USA's is a deal breaker for top US guys. I'm guessing that if enough Oregon based Nike guys wanted a 10k there would be one.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            Pre's format with the Friday night session is the only setting for it. Cool conditions, the calendar is right for de facto Kenyan /Ethiopian championship trials as we have seen lately, and it doesn't interfere with the TV schedule on the main day.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley View Post
                              Pre's format with the Friday night session is the only setting for it. Cool conditions, the calendar is right for de facto Kenyan /Ethiopian championship trials as we have seen lately, and it doesn't interfere with the TV schedule on the main day.
                              And there is enough of a local crowd (and those in town for the overall meet) who appreciate a good 10k that you don't have an empty stadium.

Comment

Working...
                              X