Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Not Field

Since one other board category is Things Not Track and Field, perhaps there should be a separate category for Things Not Field, as in the USATF schedule for this June's meet in Sacramento. Barring a massive reconfiguration of Hornet Stadium, it appears that fans will have to choose between watching track events in the stadium or watching field events (long throws) adjacent to the stadium. Has USATF not learned a thing from previous meets in Des Moines and Sacto where similar situations occurred? Or maybe they just don't care enough about the long throws. The simple solution would be to reschedule long throws finals to occur before or after the current schedule. Or maybe it would be easier to just adopt a new motto with apologies to the Firesign Theater: How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?
    bruce3404
    Last edited by bruce3404; 03-24-2017, 02:47 AM.

The link on the front page is only for the Senior events; here is a link to the U20 schedule:

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend.../Schedule.aspx

The Senior events end after 9 PM on Thursday and Friday, and a bit after 3 PM on Friday, while the U20 events go until around 6:30 PM on Saturday, with the long string of finals. Sunday is Senior-only, ending around 3 PM.

I've got tickets for the top row of section 213 for all days.
    I second Bruce's complaint about the long throws; there are plenty of other things wrong with Hornet Field, as well. OTOH, I don't have to drive 700 miles and stay in a motel.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

There are not a whole lot of choices, especially with Oregon under construction. I'm super happy that Eugene and Sacramento continue to bid and host, and wish there were more locations with the ability to do so.

Running the junior and senior meets and all four multis makes for a crowded schedule.

Comment

Maybe when Mt. SAC is finished, we will have another choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
          Maybe when Mt. SAC is finished, we will have another choice.
          I attended the AAU meet in 1962 out there, and again in 1979 (??). I think the long throws were held on an adjacent field. That may have been the venue of Al Oerter's first 200-foot throw (or may not).
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

I appreciate bruce3404 for raising this issue, and same for the other comments. An ongoing problem. All I can think of in response is "Forward into the past!"

Comment

Nothing to do with this, but wanted to let you know I just sent you a PM!!

Oops!
              It's to Glen McMicken---GM!
              Sorry!

Comment

I saw the 1979 meet at MtSAC, but it was only a 15-minute bike ride away at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                  There are not a whole lot of choices, especially with Oregon under construction. I'm super happy that Eugene and Sacramento continue to bid and host, and wish there were more locations with the ability to do so.

Running the junior and senior meets and all four multis makes for a crowded schedule.
                  I have no problem with Sacramento hosting the meet. I'd prefer that the main throwing events collide with Jr events on the track vs Sr events on the track, given the higher stakes involving the WC team.

Comment

BTW, I looked and looked, but I couldn't find anything on the USATF site or the Sacramento Sports Commission site about the long throws not being held in the stadium. That's somewhat similar to TrackTown not disclosing about the obstructed seating at Portland.

BTW, I see that the 2018 World Indoor Championships are being held in Birmingham, UK. Somehow, I don't think they will be using a convention center with a thrown-together track and seating and a huge column obstructing vision from some of the best seats. D'ya think?
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

If this works, here's a photo of the Birmingham indoor stadium:

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/media/Lar...?v=-1286679957

Alan Shank

Comment

A friend who complained directly to the Sac Sports Commission received this, which represents a small victory: I appreciate your concerns…as the artificial turf does present some obvious challenges relative to the field events. For the Championships in June, we will be conducting the Shot Put and Discus inside the main stadium. Unfortunately, there is no ideal solution for the hammer or the javelin, so those two events will be on the warm-up track. Additionally, the shot and discuss for the juniors and multis will be on the warm-up track.

Given the success of Team USA in the men’s and women’s shot, we are thrilled that we are going to be able to hold that event in the stadium, as we knew the fans would likely have a particular interest in that event.

As it relates to the Trials bid, we are working to present the Trials in the most ideal way possible. It will be our goal to bring all of the events inside the main stadium<<<<<<<<

Not sure how they're going to conduct a discus throw on artificial turf, but happy that both the DT and SP will be held inside the stadium (some will remember that at the last USATF in Sacto in 2014, the SP was held in front of the State Capitol Building). Men's HT will be watchable vs the rest of the track schedule, but the WHT, MJT, WJT and some of the multi events will conflict with events in the stadium. All in all, a slight improvement over the poor scheduling in Des Moines several years back, mainly due to the DT being inside the stadium.

Comment

the DT was in-stadium in Sacto in '14.... some good bounces as I recall

Comment

Working...
                          X