Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Alsu Bogdanova eligible to compete for Eastern Michigan?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Alsu Bogdanova eligible to compete for Eastern Michigan?

So i saw this in the Stanford results:

9 Alsu Bogdanova Eastern Michigan 15:54.94

According to every webpage i checked she is Russian, so why is she allowed to run? Did she get an exception by the IAAF? I'm guessing she would be eligible for one since she is apparently studying in the US, but did she actually get one?

Originally posted by norunner View Post
    So i saw this in the Stanford results:

9 Alsu Bogdanova Eastern Michigan 15:54.94

According to every webpage i checked she is Russian, so why is she allowed to run? Did she get an exception by the IAAF? I'm guessing she would be eligible for one since she is apparently studying in the US, but did she actually get one?
    Did the ban extend to all competition or just IAAF Championship meets such as the Olympics or World Champs?

Comment

This is primarily a collegiate meet and she is a NCAA runner. I doubt the IAAF is going to have any authority there.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
        This is primarily a collegiate meet and she is a NCAA runner. I doubt the IAAF is going to have any authority there.
        If NCAA meets don't fall under IAAF rules, then logically no results from NCAA meets should be acceptable as qualifying marks for IAAF championships. I find this confusing, how can NCAA be outside of the IAAF jurisdiction?

Comment

If NCAA meets don't fall under IAAF rules, then logically no results from NCAA meets should be acceptable as qualifying marks for IAAF championships. I find this confusing, how can NCAA be outside of the IAAF jurisdiction?
          It appears that under rule 22 of the eligibility requirements which covers domestic meets that Bogdanova would not be eligible to compete. Since she's been competing all along for EMU, I assume there is some way around this rule which we are unaware of. How any of us would know whether she's been given some level of special dispensation I don't know other than calling up EMU's compliance department and be willing to deal with them hanging up on the caller when the question was asked.

Comment

I have questioned this many times in the past. The response from some posters on this board has been along the lines of "because this is America and our laws say that the NCAA doesn't have to follow the international "laws/rules".

IMO the NCAA and every NCAA sporting program should be subject to WADA /USADA testing rules. And any institution that refuses to comply then every athlete competing for that school should be suspended. It is an unacceptable hypocrisy that NCAA (and the USA) are allowed to thumb their noses at the rest of the world in this way.

Comment

I've got a novel idea: let's leave this topic on this weekend's news, not digressing into another political rant.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                I've got a novel idea: let's leave this topic on this weekend's news, not digressing into another political rant.
                Hardly a political rant considering the endless "political" attacks on the Russian misbehaviour which occur and are allowed by you on this site.

Clearly as Animal Farm noted "some animal are more equal than others". The point made in the post before yours about the NCAA and their arrogant nonsense is utterly justified.Shameful response by you and not worthy.!!!

Comment

I've no problem with the topic; I have a problem with it taking over the theme of the thread. Hijacking is frowned up on no matter how righteous the cause.

Comment

Why is Alsu Bogdanova eligible to compete for Eastern Michigan?

Topic brought up in another thread. Worthy of discussion? Maybe.

Does the Russian ban apply to all meets? Does it only apply to IAAF meets? Is there a way around the ban if it is, in fact, an across the board ban?

Rule 22 of the IAAF eligibility rules seem to apply here which suggest she's not able to compete but, if that is the case, how would the Stanford Meet allow her entry assuming she is not eligible under the ban even if the NCAA concluded she is eligible.

Chances of getting an accurate answer as the NCAA and their institutions are likely only to provide a "she's eligible" with no further information.

On your marks....set....BANG!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      I've no problem with the topic; I have a problem with it taking over the theme of the thread. Hijacking is frowned up on no matter how righteous the cause.
                      I started a thread on the topic if you want to move the posts over there.

Comment

The problem was not having independent testing. The one athlete allow in Rio for T&F was based in the US; as are the college athletes. Not necessarily inconsistent here.

Comment

During the Apartheid Era there were numerous South African athletes who competed for US schools who were not eligible internationally IIRC and a number of them were certainly not low profile.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                            The one athlete allow in Rio for T&F was based in the US; as are the college athletes. Not necessarily inconsistent here.
                            But only after Klishina got an exception by the IAAF.

Comment

I believe the simple answer is that the IAAF only has (or claims) jurisdiction over the running of "international competitions" (see Rule 1 in the IAAF book) and collegiate competition doesn't fall under that umbrella.

As for WC qualifiers, I don't believe there is anything in the rules which says marks have to be made in IAAF-sanctioned meets. That would eliminate too many competitions (in many countries).

Comment

Working...
                              X