Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of LSU's runners are American, but there's been some questions about Cunliffe. By the way, six of the eight runners ran open 100's afterwards:
    • Stevens - 11.00
      Washington - 11.06
      Johnson - 11.09
      Brisco - 11.14
      Hobbs - 11.18
      Martin - 11.45

Comment

Has Cunliffe ever competed at a world level representing a different country? If not, then she counts as an American in a relay.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
        Has Cunliffe ever competed at a world level representing a different country? If not, then she counts as an American in a relay.
        There was talk of her wanting to run for Italy, but I don't think anything ever came of it!

Comment

No, she never competed for Italy and at this point she's certainly good enough to make the American team for London. Perhaps if she doesn't, then she could offer her services to Italy, but for now she would count as an American in the relay.
          Last edited by bruce3404; 04-16-2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

She probably counts as both American and Italian until she actually represents one of them. Her most certain path to competing in the Olympics is as an Italian. Her most certain path to a medal is on the US relay team

Comment

At the great risk of derailing the discussion in a way I don't want it to go, this is possibly the biggest thing that irks me about the national affiliation thing. You can choose to compete for a nation in which you have never resided.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to the NCAAs this June and this race is circled in red on my paper copy of the meet schedule. It's going to be great fun to watch.

Comment

As I said earlier, don't count Texas A&M out because while LSU and Oregon occupy five of the top seven spots on the 100 performance list, the Aggies occupy three of the top seven spots on the 200 performance list. Let's see what happens at the SEC Relays two weeks from now.

Comment

an exploration of the Cunliffe situation from a year ago (and with the current IAAF stance on nation-change, she's probably locked in as an American for the foreseeable future):

http://paulmerca.blogspot.com/2016/0...ent-italy.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    She probably counts as both American and Italian until she actually represents one of them.
                    But she did actually represent the US. (See the Paul Merca article cited by gh.)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                      But she did actually represent the US. (See the Paul Merca article cited by gh.)
                      What was/is the rule for nation change?

I think of Regina George who represented USA at world Juniors in 2010 but then within 2 years represented Nigeria from London 2012 to present.

Is representation as a youth/junior different than the senior level? Also I'm not actually clear on the nation change rules than may, or may not, have been updated recently.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                        The Ducks would have placed 5th at last year's Olympics. Now that's astonishing.
                        The astonishing thing is that they'd have only placed 5th with that time; in almost any other OG or WC that would have been a medal time, and in 2008 it would have won gold even before the Russian DQ.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          What was/is the rule for nation change?
                          I started a new thread on IAAF Transfer of Allegiance. We seem to have passed outside the zone on this topic.
                          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

The results of the women's 100 regional prelims in both the East (LSU - 1, 4, 5, 6) and the West (Oregon - 1, 2, 5) further fuels the drama of the much anticipated NCAA women's 4x100 showdown. A few years ago, the IAAF decided to close out the World Championships with the men's 4x100 instead of the traditional men's 4x400 in order to take advantage of Usain Bolt's popularity. I know it won't happen, but this would be a great year for the NCAA to adopt this schedule change. I think there's a real possibility that a team can run sub-42 and go home empty-handed. Imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              The results of the women's 100 regional prelims in both the East (LSU - 1, 4, 5, 6) and the West (Oregon - 1, 2, 5) further fuels the drama of the much anticipated NCAA women's 4x100 showdown. A few years ago, the IAAF decided to close out the World Championships with the men's 4x100 instead of the traditional men's 4x400 in order to take advantage of Usain Bolt's popularity. I know it won't happen, but this would be a great year for the NCAA to adopt this schedule change. I think there's a real possibility that a team can run sub-42 and go home empty-handed. Imagine that!
                              Cunliffe a DNS in the women's 100 QF could be a game changer for the relay...

Comment

She can still run the relay and they might have had her pull out for that reason, as they are likely to have a lot of points. She did not look that good in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                                X