Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While Oregon was trumpeting Rogers' run as an NCAA record, I find it odd that Groenendaal is listed ahead of her on their webpage of school records. I would support TFN's position that one's senior year ends at the end of the NCAA season, not a month or two later. You've either graduated and/or used up your eligibility or not. I further don't understand why the Pac 12 would consider Langerholc's record (which was set in the 2000 Olympics while she was enrolled as a junior at SC) to be the conference record while both TFN and the NCAA ignore her for record purposes. I guess the Olympics don't count since they're not an NCAA-sanctioned event.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I think a good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be eligible for school, conference or collegiate records if you have no collegiate eligibility remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        I think a good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be eligible for school, conference or collegiate records if you have no collegiate eligibility remaining.
        I completely agree and nowadays a graduating 1:58 racer would have a shoe contract the day after the NCAAs ended anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          That's correct. She ran it in Europe right after her senior season of eligibility at Oregon.
          If that's the case, I'm not sure why she'd have the school record. I guess every school can determine on their own what they wish to count as a record and Oregon wants to count Rupp's 26:48 as their school record, to stretch to make a point, they are free to do so but I agree with the others on the thread which mention that any record purposes should really end when your eligibility ends.

Comment

I would also say the same thing about high school records. If you're not eligible for high school competition, you shouldn't be eligible for high school records regardless of whether or not you're enrolled in high school.

Comment

this thread should be about celebrating Raevyn Rogers, not kvetching about irrelevant rules

Comment

It's Oregon's record; since it is not official (like world or US) they can do anything that they want.

Comment

the problem with "anything they want" is that schools do whatever makes them look best, including ignoring monster wind readings, etc.,etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X