Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Marathon 2017

Time for a thread on this. It looks like it will be modest temperature, with dropping dew point and a pretty brisk WNW tailwind. With Mutai often one to push the pace, someone like Rupp will have to decide if they will go with a very quick early pace. Such a pace would probably prove difficult for Meb Keflezighi and Wesley Korir (although they might pick off those getting too reckless).
    Last edited by gh; 04-18-2017, 05:08 AM.

My thoughts:
    1. There's no clear favourite on the men side. I don't know why you think Mutai will push the pace when he hasn't ran a good marathon since his 2:03. I think if Rupp is not affected by his injury, he has a great shot to win. But I'm picking Hayle.

2. Cherono is the favourite for the women. But she hasn't run a championship and hilly marathon. I'm actually more excited about the domestic faceoff between Linden and Hasay. I actually think Hasay will win it although this is her debut. But Linden has tons of experience at Boston and she looks like she is extra motivated to win it (I have doubts on this).

I may add other thoughts at a later time.

Comment

My only thought right now is---

Where the F-K is "BOTON"???

LOL

Comment

At Boston it is not uncommon for the race to unfold slowly. Mutai may push early and he is not someone that the rest can let go, so he could have a big effect on the pace the first half of the race.

I favor Linden over Hasay; the vet with the ability to focus continually on training and then race with discipline of what she thinks she can do. She is probably better than almost any top-level runner at being able to run on her own 50m from the pack because she knows her own pace and does not need to stick to a group (which can bury you running a bit too fast for too long).

By the way, they still have the wind forecast for the race to a strong WWNW wind, 13mph, gust to 25mph (20/40kph) but remember that those winds are for a clear area 10m above the ground, so ground-level winds are 50-75% of those values. Since the course curves around some, occasionally that will hit some quartering headwinds and side winds. That should help cool some because the temperature forecast has been bumped up about 64F/18C; however the dew point is low and falling so the relative humidity will be falling from the 50s% to the 30s%. Also note that further to the west the temps are several degrees lower and the wind a bit milder (59F/15C, wind 9mph/15khp).
        Last edited by 26mi235; 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

http://www.baa.org

Link includes leaderboard, athlete tracking, twitter feed, link to what is described as local/national broadcast coverage.

Comment

It's already 71 in Hopkinton and 70 in Boston.

Comment

66:25 at 12 miles, but they have been running 5:18-5:25 of late (women) after a slowish first 5km (17:45) and 28-mid for five miles.

Comment

At the halfway point, Linden and Hasay are still with the lead pack. Hope they can stay there.

Comment

Rupp and Kirui

Comment

Hasay 2:23.00 for 3rd!

Comment

Jordan Hasay <3

Comment

Rupp is first forrmer Duck to finish second since Art Boileau in 1986.

Comment

Is Hasay's 2:23 the fastest marathon debut by an American woman, if record-ineligible courses are included?

Comment

God bless Jordan Hasay. I wasn't aware of her mom's passing. Heartbreaking interview with her on TV now. Alberto Salazar had to tell Jordan the terrible news when it happened.

Jordan said her mom told her that she could be a great marathoner. She said when she trains, she imagines she and her mom alternating miles.

So happy for her. She is an inspiration. I'm not handling my mom's passing as maturely as she is. I'm going to change that, thanks to Jordan. Amen.

Hats off to Tatyana McFadden, women's chair 4th place, too. An emotional interview with her, too. What a story.

And, of course, Meb, such a great person and professional.
                            Last edited by BillVol; 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Hasay fastest American debut by almost three minutes.

Previous 2:25:53 Kara Goucher New York City 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X