Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were some great stories in the Boston Marathon, including Meb's final competitive Boston. But how do they fill 4 1/2 hours, with several interviews with Meb and recaps of his career, and never mention Bob Larsen, his coach since 1994?
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Desiree Linden's comments showed a lot of introspection and self-awareness. She's confident that she's maxed out her talent and executed her race as planned but unfortunately that's not good enough to win a major marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        Desiree Linden's comments showed a lot of introspection and self-awareness. She's confident that she's maxed out her talent and executed her race as planned but unfortunately that's not good enough to win a major marathon.
        She's a tough competitor but the lack of foot speed kills her at the top levels.

Comment

First female Boston runner returns...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/s...ies-below&_r=0

Comment

And the great Katherine Beiers, already Boston's oldest finisher (84 at present), crosses the halfway point in 2:51.22.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol View Post
              First female Boston runner returns...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/s...ies-below&_r=0
              First official woman to run Boston. Roberta Gibb is generally credited with being the first woman to run the race.

Comment

I would say Jordan Hasay has found her Olympic event. If she can stay healthy through Tokyo (2020), I would not be surprised to see her make her first Olympic team. She will still be in her 20's. Good for her.

Comment

Hasay now #5 performer (#9 performance) on US a-t marathon list, behind Kastor, Flanagan, Samuelson, and Linden. That goes well with her becoming #5 on the US a-t half-marathon list (all performances, record-eligible and other) earlier this year. She is having an excellent year, and it is not hard to imagine her improving on what she did today. Even though she could not keep pace with the top 2, her fastest 5k was 35-40k, which she covered in 16:28 (and her last 2.2 was at a faster pace than that). Given how long she has been on the US athletics scene, I have to remind myself that she is just 25yo. I wish her the best!

Rupp also very impressive, and as with Hasay, I am impressed with how long he has been around, at such a very high level.

And those "longevity" reflections do not even include Abdirahman and Keflezighi. I am impressed that he had a 2:17:00 in him today; and -- as I once thought with Keflezighi himself -- I thought Abdirahman's career was over a few years ago. His performances at NYC last year, and today, are a pleasure to watch.

And Linden is really in the midst of an excellent career. She made her marathon debut at Boston ten years ago (2:44:56/18th), and ran the 2008 OT there for her second marathon (2:37:50/13th). Since then, she has run 12 marathons, with 4 @ 2nd place, and 7 more @ 4th-8th. Her lowest finish was Berlin WC, in 10th (yes, I know she 'originally' finished 11th, and that subsequently she moved up to 10th, after another athlete's drugs DQ). In any case, that is an excellent racing career. She makes the most of her competition opportunities. Linden has, by the way, 3k, 5k, and 10k bests that are favorably comparable with Hasay's, but it seems pretty clear from today to me that Hasay is and will be the superior marathoner. Nevertheless, I admire Linden's performances, and enjoy watching her. I appreciate her contributions to USA athletics.

Comment

Edna Kiplagat's performance is really impressive. She really cranked up the uphill section and really paid off while destroying the field, in particular Cherono. And she's 37! Probably a lock for the Kenyan WC team.

Solid performance from Hasay. Can't really tell her potential yet cos Boston is a course that may boost your performance. Hope she runs a time trial soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                      I would say Jordan Hasay has found her Olympic event. If she can stay healthy through Tokyo (2020), I would not be surprised to see her make her first Olympic team.
                      If she stays healthy leading up to 2020, I would be surprised if she does NOT make the Olympic team. She just debuted with 2:23 for crying out loud! And by 2020 Flanagan, Linden and Goucher will be either retired or too slow to beat a healthy Hasay.

Comment

And don't forget Emily Sisson for the Tokyo team as well. I look forward to her debut, probably NY or Boston.

Comment

Following up on Juicy News' comment on Edna Kiplagat's excellent performance: She's another one about whom I am amazed at how long she has been around at such a high level. Starting from 2010 (she ran a 2:50 marathon in 2005), she has now run 16 marathons, with a top 10 average of 2:23:30. It's hard for me to keep track of some of these athletes, even at the top level. Ms. Kiplagat, a very long time ago, earned the silver medal in the 3k at the 1996 WJC (behind Anita Weyermann) -- nearly 21 years ago. For USA context on how long ago that feels, Julia Stamps was in that WJC 3k. Given how many things can go wrong with the body, and in a career, it is amazing to me to see someone working at the level Kiplagat displayed today, for so many years. Given her record in WC competitions (Daegu gold, Moscow gold, Beijing 5th), I also think she would be a strong candidate for selection.

Comment

It makes me smile to watch Jordan Hasay run. I have been a fan/admirer since she was four feet tall with a three foot ponytail running fantastic times.

Comment

Hasay seems to be perfectly built for the event. There's nothing to her. Let's hope she stays healthy.

Molly Huddle is a name likely for the marathon in Tokyo.

Comment

Tracktown Schmacktown. I was shocked to see less than 30 seconds coverage of the great races today by former Ducks on tonight's local news. They actually used footage of Hasay running at Hayward. At least for Rupp they showed him just past the finish line.

Putting Hasay's performance into perspective, she ran her great time on a tough course in pretty warm weather (and yes, I know Boston isn't a legal course, but it sure offers a tough finish). Put her on an easy, flat legal course with weather in the mid-50s instead of 70s and she might have broken 2:20.
                                bruce3404
                                Last edited by bruce3404; 04-18-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X