X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillVol View Post
    First female Boston runner returns...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/s...ies-below&_r=0
    Actually first female Boston runner was Bobbi Gibb (but without #), not Katherine Switzer. All for Switzer and what she did for women's running but Bobbi Gibb is definitely glossed over by the media attention on Switzer.

Comment

As impressive as Hasay's performance was, I think that some people are discounting the strong tail wind that the runners appeared to have during the race. To claim that she could have done sub 2:20 on a flat course may be overstating things a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        Bobbi Gibb is definitely glossed over by the media attention on Switzer.
        Gibb hasn't been entirely ignored.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...aths-to-change

http://www.newburyportnews.com/sport...a75dfd093.html

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
          As impressive as Hasay's performance was, I think that some people are discounting the strong tail wind that the runners appeared to have during the race. To claim that she could have done sub 2:20 on a flat course may be overstating things a bit.
          Regardless of what the tailwind was, it was an impressive sight seeing Hasay mix it up with the best Africans in the world in her marathon debut. I'll even admit that at one point in the later stages of the race, when the lead group consisted of Hasay and five Africans, the Sesame Street song "One Of These Things" began playing in my head. lol Needless to say, her next marathon will be must-see TV for me.

Comment

Actually first female Boston runner was Bobbi Gibb (but without #), not Katherine Switzer. All for Switzer and what she did for women's running but Bobbi Gibb is definitely glossed over by the media attention on Switzer.
            Indeed....what made Switzer famous was Semple jumping off the bus to take her number off. I suspect if Semple had just ignored her few would have notice....that is where Gibb was shortchanged...

Comment

True but it's like the equivalent of the Yankees first baseman that Gehrig replaced in 1925.

Comment

Wally Pipp? Not quite the same.

Comment

Yeah, Wally Pipp is a household name for sports fans. As a matter of fact, I often hear his name used as a verb - eg. "Drew Bledsoe got Wally Pipped by Tom Brady".

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    Indeed...Pipp is better known.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Indeed...Pipp is better known.
                      Pipp is certainly also better known than Babe Dahlgren.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        The better question is, "Who replace Gehrig when he stepped out of the lineup circa 1937?" Not nearly as well known.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                          Pipp is certainly also better known than Babe Dahlgren.
                          Well, damn, WRC, I just asked that question and you already had answered it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                            First official woman to run Boston. Roberta Gibb is generally credited with being the first woman to run the race.
                            Thanks, ND

Comment

Women weren't allowed officially to run Boston until 1972.
                              Even in 1971, four years later, it was still men, 18 and over.

Switzer may have had a race number entered under K. Switzer but I don't think Semple agreed that she was officially entered.

Comment

Come on man. I was on this yesterday. Give a boy a little credit!

Comment

Working...
                                X