Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzer has also taken advantage of the "first woman to run Boston" theme and built a bit of a legacy around it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
      Switzer has also taken advantage of the "first woman to run Boston" theme and built a bit of a legacy around it.
      Most definitely. But to be honest the road running scene in the early 70s was entirely men. So by the time the 80s rolled around and the need for women who had a recognizable name for the Bonne Belle races etc. Switzer didn't have much competition. After all Diana Nyad became a marathon 'expert' on ABC about then.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        Come on man. I was on this yesterday. Give a boy a little credit!
        Didn't see that, ND5, wasn't trying to steal your thunder.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
          Tracktown Schmacktown. I was shocked to see less than 30 seconds coverage of the great races today by former Ducks on tonight's local news. They actually used footage of Hasay running at Hayward. At least for Rupp they showed him just past the finish line.

Putting Hasay's performance into perspective, she ran her great time on a tough course in pretty warm weather (and yes, I know Boston isn't a legal course, but it sure offers a tough finish). Put her on an easy, flat legal course with weather in the mid-50s instead of 70s and she might have broken 2:20.
          was the wind and "high" temp the reason the men ran 2:09?

Comment

The course was not that fast or there would not have been so many dropping off even before Kipligat and Kirui/Rupp lit things up. Kipligat's finish was absolutely stunning with the 5:01 mile up the hill. After the hill, it is mostly downhill, of course, but unless the wind was the right vector (supposedly a WNW wind is better than the WSW wind that they were expecting) and on a warm day a tailwind can reduce your cooling. Also, the listed wind if for a meter 10 meters above ground level, so ground level winds are slower and at one point in the race they had a headwind.

Comment

"Switzer has also taken advantage of the "first woman to run Boston" theme and built a bit of a legacy around it."

Didn't she also claim performing first heart transplant?

Comment

"was the wind and "high" temp the reason the men ran 2:09?"

I missed the race accidentally--I usually try to take it in on desktop while moving paper/working.

I've been trying to get a feel for the races from comments here and trying to understand such impressive ladies times vs men's 2:09--did the men cruise for first half then start racing?

I kinda settled on noting how close in time Hasay was to the proven world class marathoners she trailed...no matter if some tailwind (and it was hot) --very impressive on that basis to me.

Comment

Originally posted by exdrake View Post
                  "was the wind and "high" temp the reason the men ran 2:09?"

I missed the race accidentally--I usually try to take it in on desktop while moving paper/working.

I've been trying to get a feel for the races from comments here and trying to understand such impressive ladies times vs men's 2:09--did the men cruise for first half then start racing?

I kinda settled on noting how close in time Hasay was to the proven world class marathoners she trailed...no matter if some tailwind (and it was hot) --very impressive on that basis to me.
                  Men hit the half in 1:04:35, so the winner ran 1:05:02 for 2nd half!
                  Women (including Hasay) hit the half in 1:12:33.
                  So Kiplagat ran 1:09:19 for her 2nd half, while Hasay ran 1:10:27---VERY impressive negative splits for both women!

The men were cruising the 2nd half---until Kirui put down the hammer with a 4:24 mile!

Comment

Working...
                  X