Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 7 Hours Too Long for a Dual Meet?

The University of Washington has posted the schedule for the 98th edition of their dual meet with Washington State. It's here:
    http://admin.gohuskies.com/documents...T_SCHEDULE.pdf

I'm about as hardcore as a T&F fan can be. I actually can enjoy a long day of T&F, as long as things keep moving along without dead times. I'm in the stands at the big meets when the multi-events start in the early mornings. But a 7-hour dual meet is fan abuse!

Recent editions of this dual meet have been conducted in 5-1/2 hours, both at UW and at WSU, which is still a long time for just 2 teams. Live TV (Pac-12 Network) caused this meet to be moved to Sunday, and it's possible that TV may also have dictated some other schedule changes. And having the HT on the infield, something I thought was a positive when the new Husky Track was inaugurated for the 2013 season, seems to have done nothing but dragged out the meets, and few fans will arrive an extra 3-1/2 hours earlier just to watch the HT & JT.

To me, a scored collegiate meet can be one of the most exciting things in the sport, and I support all scored meets, especially duals, and I support the UW coach and team. But I wish that the meet could be shorter.

There's not a chance I would sit around for 7 hours to watch a dual meet. And if the only reason for it being so slow is to accommodate multi-discipline athletes, too bad. There are plenty of opportunities to compete in multiple events.

Whatever is going on, that would just bore me silly. That's a baseball double-header (and I hate baseball)!

Over the course of 7 hours, what are we watching? The grass grow?

Comment

Yes.
      Next question?

Comment

If they filled in the gaps with distance races--including 5K's & 10K's---then all day meets are fine with me!
        That's why I love Payton Jordan so much---tons of 10's & 5's!!

Comment

A bit misleading...The running events, the only thing that matters, are under 3 hours...Which for both genders is not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            A bit misleading...The running events, the only thing that matters, are under 3 hours...Which for both genders is not bad.
            I thought that this was the Track & Field News MB. But perhaps you're being facetious.
            Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 04-20-2017, 04:34 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

They could ditch the long throws, or move them to an exterior field. Hammer, discus and jav can't share a field, so even at just an hour each per gender, that's six hours of long throws.

The good running events are in a two-hour window, which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
                I thought that this was the Track & FIELD News MB. But perhaps you're being facetious.
                Not at all....2 hours plus for the running events is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                  They could ditch the long throws, or move them to an exterior field. Hammer, discus and jav can't share a field, so even at just an hour each per gender, that's six hours of long throws.

I find it interesting that the steeples and the w3000 are not considered "good" running events. I seem to have accidentally landed on some sprinting forum, where not only field events but also distance events are dissed.

Comment

The throws point makes sense. 2 teams x 2 genders x 4 competitors x 6 throws x 3 events plus warmups would take a while.

Comment

If this were a men's or a women's meet, the field events could fit within a better time window. not doing jav and hammer near other events is a good for safety. I also don't think you need steeple in a dual meet, but that might just be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
                        I find it interesting that the steeples and the w3000 are not considered "good" running events. I seem to have accidentally landed on some sprinting forum, where not only field events but also distance events are dissed.
                        I love field events, especially the long throws. I was just pointing out that you can't have them all and have a meet of reasonable length.

As for the steeple in a dual meet... no thanks.

Comment

I love field events, especially the long throws. I was just pointing out that you can't have them all and have a meet of reasonable length.

As for the steeple in a dual meet... no thanks.
                          Thanks for clarifying. In the Pac-8/10/12, unlike some other conferences, the steeple has been standard in dual meets going back to at least 1978, and possibly back much further. In the Pac-12, the long distance races for both men & women can be either a 3000 or a 5000.

Comment

I work a lot of single-gender meets, there are a lot of them in the MAC since there are six women's-only programs. They're never too long and never feel like too many field events are jammed in.

Years ago, Ohio State and Michigan had a brilliant idea for their briefly revived dual meet series: the men ran in Columbus, the women in Ann Arbor. It worked because neither program had combined their coaching staffs, but for something like UW-WSU you could be at one site one day and the other the next.

Comment

As others have stated, the long throws create the problem for a single-day meet.

As a fan of the field events, my pet peeve in a schedule like this meet is that almost continuously from 2:30pm there are five field events being contested simultaneously. With any more than 3 field events at the same time it is not only impossible for fans to follow, it is impossible for the public address announcer to guide and inform. (And TV coverage? Forget about it). We all love the three-ring circus atmosphere of a track meet, but five field events plus running races is insanity.

Move some jumps or a shot put up to 12:30 or 1:00 while the javelin is on and relieve the logjam a bit during the TV window.

Comment

Working...
                              X