Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London marathon women

Looks like it was a fantastic race. How many marathons has T Dibaba run? Moves to third place on all-time performer list!

Originally posted by catson52 View Post
    ... How many marathons has T Dibaba run? Moves to third place on all-time performer list!
    Given how long she has been on the global scene (even though she will only turn 32 in June), and how great she has been in so many ways, this is just her second marathon. Her first was London 2014, where she finished 3rd in 2:20:35, a few seconds behind Edna Kiplagat, and Florence Kiplagat.

Comment

its another example of what an astounding talent Tirunesh is, 2:17 in only her second marathon....even though she had to stop dead in the later stages with stomach cramps and almost be sick....she can definitely be the one to go under 2:17 in the next two years!

She should take a well earned rest now then work on her speed in preparation for the 10k at the worlds in august!

Comment

Originally posted by Liuxuan_rol View Post
        She should take a well earned rest now then work on her speed in preparation for the 10k at the worlds in august!
        It might be actually be a better idea to run the marathon than the 10k in London.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

its another example of what an astounding talent Tirunesh is, 2:17 in only her second marathon....even though she had to stop dead in the later stages with stomach cramps and almost be sick....she can definitely be the one to go under 2:17 in the next two years!

Agreed. She's still 31, 4 years younger than Keitany and seems to have more to give in the marathon. Personally, I think she should focus full-time on the marathon because she's basically done (almost everything) in the 10000m. And I think she can't beat Ayana in the 10000m.

Comment

As for Keitany, the question now is, if she should pass up the World Champs, which big city marathon will she close out the year with? I remember her not having a good outing in NYC; but she might give it another chance. Then again, if she really wants Paula's 2:15:25 in a women-only race, she'll go to Berlin.

Comment

I don't think she ever bothered about world championships. Yes, if she wants to target Radcliffe's overall WR, she should run Berlin and not NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                I don't think she ever bothered about world championships.
                Which is true of most marathon stars nowadays. Not enough of a payoff compared to a major city marathon. Dibaba, though, could add to her legacy by winning a WC gold in the marathon to go along with all her golds on the track.

Comment

its another example of what an astounding talent Tirunesh is, 2:17 in only her second marathon....even though she had to stop dead in the later stages with stomach cramps and almost be sick....she can definitely be the one to go under 2:17 in the next two years !
                  eh ?!

that attribution shoud go to Mary, who if not for suicidal 1st 5k/10k/half-way, shouda been looking in a more measured race

~ 2"16-flat

remember also, that in paula's 2"15'25, it has been pointed out in past that lot of last 1/2 had big +ve wind which helped a lot in addition to male pacers

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    Which is true of most marathon stars nowadays. Not enough of a payoff compared to a major city marathon. Dibaba, though, could add to her legacy by winning a WC gold in the marathon to go along with all her golds on the track.
                    The WC marathon is irrelevant these days. They should just get rid of it.

Or do something clever and open it to anyone willing to pay. Like a World Series of Poker. $10,000 entry....winner takes all. Now that might be fun to watch.

I think it would be fairly easy to get a thousand entrants. $10,000,000 to the winner.....take that Berlin.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-28-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Conor Dary; there is an expression from physics that this reminds me of. I think your post is Not Even Wrong.

As for Ingrid being diminished by the lack of a title; there was a lack of opportunity. How long was it before there was a 10,000 or even a 5000m event for her to win. The number of marathons is small and there were multiple stars in that first OG 84.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        Mary Keitany won a total of $280,000 in property money on Sunday + a substantial appearance fee (has anyone a year idea what that might be), I see very little incentive for her to run a championship marathon.

Having said that if you want to be considered an all time great, I think you need at least one gold medal in your collection. At the moment all those in contention (Paula, Geta, Joan, Catherine, Rosa) have at least one global title, Ingrid doesn't and I think it hurts her when calculating GOAT status.

If you're going to run a champs Marathon better do it in London in August (when there is every change of rain) than Doha !!
                        In my opinion, given the depth of the field, winning the London marathon is more prestigious than winning a WC gold. But of course, a gold medal in the collection is great as well.
                        Nevertheless, you can't blame athletes from not competing the WCs. Athletes' lifespan is short; grab as much money as you can from appearance fees and prize money.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                          In my opinion, given the depth of the field, winning the London marathon is more prestigious than winning a WC gold. But of course, a gold medal in the collection is great as well.
                          Nevertheless, you can't blame athletes from not competing the WCs. Athletes' lifespan is short; grab as much money as you can from appearance fees and prize money.
                          Indeed....just because it's called the WC Marathon doesn't make it so. It's time has past.

I still like the World Series of Marathon format...let anyone run for a big entry fee. And give the collection to the top 3.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-29-2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                            As for Ingrid being diminished by the lack of a title; there was a lack of opportunity. How long was it before there was a 10,000 or even a 5000m event for her to win.
                            We are talking about titles in the marathon, which was a championship event since 1983 (1982 if you count the Euros). She actually does have a WC gold on the track.

Comment

And WCs were four years apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X