Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question Regarding the 4x400 Mixed

First of all I was not aware of a 4x4 mixed relay. I've seen medley relays (at Penn for example) which consists of men and women on the same team, but never mixed where each leg of the race can involve different genders. I thought this is really a FUN idea. It makes it really diffucult to know which team is leading. So my question is, does each team has the right to choose the order of runners based on gender? For example, if Lane 1 consist of M-F-M-F, while Lane 2 Has F-F-M-M, and Lane 3 has M-F-F-M etc..etc? How much flexiblity is there in the order or runners per team?

Thanks

Each team lines them up however they choose. Definitely makes it more interesting
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Thanks Guru. I saw the race at the Worlds Relay in the Bahamas yesterday. It was really excited to watch especially on the anchor leg. I wish the IAAF would allow some of these "obscure" races at the Worlds. Certainly the 4x200 should be considered mainstream enough. Oh well.

Comment

I thought it was a disaster. I was all for it until I saw it.

Comment

I actually loved it. Nice change. Only problem was only Bahamas fielded top athletes. I wanted Merritt in this but given how reliant US has become on him in the Men's 4x400m it was never going to happen.

Comment

I like it because it gives nations without the depth to field a single-sex relay team with four elite athletes a chance to compete with deeper nations. Neither of the Bahamas' single-sex 4x400 teams made it out of the prelims, so their mixed team was comprised of rested elite athletes that would have held their own with anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
              the order is flexible and must be declared at the check-in. All teams led off with a male runner. The winning Bahamians went MFFM while the US went MFMF.

There was no prelim in this event because of the shortage of teams. If there had been, I am not sure if a team could change their order for the final. I suspect thy would be allowed along with making two subs.

My thinking is that this will NOT become a regular event.
              All teams do not have to use a man for the first leg. Most teams do run a man first because they want to get a lead.

Comment

I liked the idea at first and as the race progressed, but once the men made up impossible deficits and basically walked pasted the women it just became strange and very gimmicky.

I think the Bahamas being in contention, and ultimately winning, skewed some of the excitement of the actual event itself.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                  Did not say they did, DRB. On Sunday night, all eight teams decided to run the lead-off leg with a male athlete.
                  Sorry. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    I liked the idea at first and as the race progressed, but once the men made up impossible deficits and basically walked pasted the women it just became strange and very gimmicky.

I think the Bahamas being in contention, and ultimately winning, skewed some of the excitement of the actual event itself.
                    Totally agree. It made a mockery of women's sprinting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                      Totally agree. It made a mockery of women's sprinting.
                      Excuse me??? How does this concept makes a mockery of women sprinting? The fact that men are faster runners than women (an established fact since we were neanderthals) gives this unsual race the excitement. In theory, if one were to take the 4 fastest male and female 400 runners and put them in two teams in varying orders in terms of gender, it really shouldn't matter which order the Ms and Fs line up. Since each team will not know the lineup of the other teams, THAT is the reall strategy in winning this type of a race.

It really has nothing to do with reducing a female athlete to being a mockery.

Comment

As long as all the team's field top tier athletes it should be an exciting race but it's going to always be boring if you have a 53s woman running against a 44s man. Allyson Felix wouldn't have gotten walked down like Francis did.

Comment

Originally posted by mgb View Post
                          Excuse me??? How does this concept makes a mockery of women sprinting? The fact that men are faster runners than women (an established fact since we were neanderthals) gives this unsual race the excitement. In theory, if one were to take the 4 fastest male and female 400 runners and put them in two teams in varying orders in terms of gender, it really shouldn't matter which order the Ms and Fs line up. Since each team will not know the lineup of the other teams, THAT is the reall strategy in winning this type of a race.

It really has nothing to do with reducing a female athlete to being a mockery.
                          It does. Joe Public has no concept of how much faster men are than women. But when they see a woman with a 50m lead get run down and overtaken by 10m by a guy, the only message it's giving fans is "look how much faster men are than women! Ha!" It certainly is not giving a positive message about women's sprinting at all. It becomes a novelty act, a circus.

The only way this event will work is if there are set legs for each sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                            It does. Joe Public has no concept of how much faster men are than women. But when they see a woman with a 50m lead get run down and overtaken by 10m by a guy, the only message it's giving fans is "look how much faster men are than women! Ha!" It certainly is not giving a positive message about women's sprinting at all. It becomes a novelty act, a circus.

The only way this event will work is if there are set legs for each sex.
                            Exactly! Set the legs for each sex, and don't mix the sexes. I was not interested in watching a 45 second leg run against a 51 second leg.

Comment

Folks are complaining about the male-vs-female leg because the Bahamian anchor caught Francis so early, but I doubt they would feel the same way if Francis had held him off, or at least held him off long enough so that you didn't know the outcome until 10 meters. Also, some of these folks seem to have completely forgotten about all the times that U.S. teams, especially the men, won boring races when the outcome had already been determined with two laps to go.

he biggest drawback IMO is that too many teams were comprised of B, C and D list athletes. The IAAF needs to make the meet more attractive to A list athletes, some of whom competed in meets in the U.S. this past weekend instead of the Bahamas.
                              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X