Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    You saw a television shot of the stands before the Sprint Medley which is the step child of the eight college Championships of America. It is held near the end of Friday after 6 pm and most of the crowd has already left after a long day.

Crowd was 22k on Thursday and on a good Friday gets 30k and Saturday is usually 40k. Franklin Field holds around 50k last I looked.
    38,598 was their tweet

Comment

You saw a television shot of the stands before the Sprint Medley which is the step child of the eight college Championships of America.......
      and the stepchild produces a CR by Oregon... and then apparently about 4 minutes later AM ran 0.01 faster at LSU.

Comment

The 38k on Friday means they will likely go over 100k in attendance for the three days but only the hard core stay for an entire day. The three days total about 35 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          and the stepchild produces a CR by Oregon... and then apparently about 4 minutes later AM ran 0.01 faster at LSU.
          Men's record went down at LSU, too.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
            Men's record went down at LSU, too.
            I started a separate thread for all the SMR records!!

Comment

For all the complaining we normally do, I thought the NBCS telecast was quite good. Masback knows the meet well and they gave more competition and less fluff than usual on a track & field telecast.

Of course, I have not seen Penn on television for a few years since I usually am officiating but recovering from illness this year.

Races were very good and the casual observer can understand and understand the team aspect of college and high school races. This coverage compliments nicely the Saturday coverage which is mostly USA vs the World.

Comment

The 38k on Friday means they will likely go over 100k in attendance for the three days but only the hard core stay for an entire day. The three days total about 35 hours.
                of which 34:30 is HS 4x4s, or does it just seem like it? :-)

Comment

About 4 hours of 4x400 heats each for the girls and boys. The average is about 5 minutes per heat for the girls and about 4.5 minutes per heat for the boys. The real fire drill is the 4x100 when the average about 1.5 minutes for about 70 heats each for the girls and boys.

As I said, I would favor moving the High School Girls 4x400 heats to Friday morning. The boys heats are Saturday morning.
                  Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

For all the complaining we normally do, I thought the NBCS telecast was quite good. Masback knows the meet well and they gave more competition and less fluff than usual on a track & field telecast.

Of course, I have not seen Penn on television for a few years since I usually am officiating but recovering from illness this year.

Races were very good and the casual observer can understand and understand the team aspect of college and high school races. This coverage compliments nicely the Saturday coverage which is mostly USA vs the World.
                    Don't understand why they even televised penn today when there were much better events at drake this evening. Honestly even tomorrow's USA vs the world lineups are the weakest since the events inception. With the IAAF world relays last weekend, drake this weekend and diamond league starting next weekend penn has lost most of its luster.

Comment

Don't want this to get nasty but why doesn't Drake just change their name to the Drake Invitational since they seem not to care about relay events anymore. Still the best meet I will never attend and I enjoyed going to the USATF meet at Drake a few years ago.
                      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

There were 27 relays schedule just for today alone at Drake. The Mens 4x800 soon, then the Boy's and the Girl's 4x400 for the last three events today. There are another 27 tomorrow and the two 4x1600s were Thursday night. That makes 56 different events, not just 56 races.
                        Last edited by 26mi235; 04-29-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

On a quick check, from what I could see, before East Stroudsburg University winning the CM Shuttle Hurdles today, the last Division 2 college to win a championship relay at Penn was NY Tech in the sprint medley in 1988. Did I miss anyone?

Congrats to Coach Joe Koch and the hurdlers.
                          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

56 relay events at Drake? Get to triple digits and I will pay attention. And last time I looked higher schoolers outside Iowa are not even allowed. That's a national event?

Comment

how about becuase it is (and has been for decades) an integral part of the Drake alumni weekend? They should change the name because it doesn't have a ludicrous number of relay events and yuo somehow find that offensive?

if somebody should change names, it's Penn's pretentious highjacking of "Championship of America" nomenclature!

Comment

Almost all of Drake's publicity, press releases etc. now focus on individual events. They are two very different meets now.

Comment

Working...
                                X