Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'17 Penn Relays

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Maybe the SEC should change the name of its meet to "Championship of America Sprint Medley Relays"

    Comment


    • #32
      Even if they do count the athletes in attendance (about 15k), they still triple Drake's attendance.

      What it comes down to is this:

      At the high school level, Drake draws from one state while a Penn draws from about 20 states, about a dozen countries, and 3 continents.

      At the college level, Drake draws primarily a midwestern field while Penn draws a national field.

      At the elite level, Drake has some great individual events especially in the field events, while Penn has the USA vs the World Relays.

      Keep in mind, also, that without Penn's Caribbean connection, there probably would be no World Relays. And Penn was the first big meet Bolt ever attended.
      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 01:32 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        Err, ummm, maybe a group of 19 and 20 year old "High School" athletes??
        LOL
        For the record the ages for the girls are 19 years, 3 months, 18 years, 7 months, 18 years, 7 months and the baby of the group 15 years, 4 months.
        And for the record you have to be under 19 in the previous September in order to run for a Jamaican High School
        Last edited by Fortis4Eva; 04-29-2017, 02:38 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          HyVee has funded some high-level races bringing together athletes from the OG/WCs and some posters are treating that as a big negative. Go post on LetsRun.

          By the way, how many different relay events does Penn have (events, not races)?

          And last I looked, the population within 100 miles of Philly is a bit larger, but is there really a great deal of joy watching 200 4x100/4x400s? It is quite a feat, but not really of much interest for most people (note those here talking about going at other times.
          Last edited by 26mi235; 04-29-2017, 02:45 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Fortis4Eva View Post
            For the record the ages for the girls are 19 years, 3 months, 18 years, 7 months, 18 years, 7 months and the baby of the group 15 years, 4 months.
            And for the record you have to be under 19 in the previous September in order to run for a Jamaican High School
            So that would make the athletes, in a general sense, potentially a year older than US athletes who are seniors.

            Comment


            • #36
              FWIW...I love the Penn Relays and have often sat through the 4 x 400m morning in a happy state. To each their own.

              Comment


              • #37
                I've been coming to Penn for 25 years, and my son, it will be 3 of the last 4.

                There was once upon a time where this event shut the entire city down, by itself. Now, it appears the NFL Draft and Philly Jazzfest have taken a lot of that. Add to that, World Relays taking a lot of USA v. World's luster, and you now have a meet that maybe is just down to Jamaican high school hardcores!

                I was hoping that next phenom Tyrese Cooper would show up, tomorrow. I don't know if he even has a half-decent team!

                Comment


                • #38
                  And one of those NJ schools has an athlete whose performances will be talked about for years--maybe decades--to come!!
                  LOL

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                    So that would make the athletes, in a general sense, potentially a year older than US athletes who are seniors.
                    US high school athletes can also be 19 years old.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      OK, I spent most of the day at Penn yesterday. Part of the reason the crowd looked smaller is that it was blazing hot (mid-80s and sunny), and most people sought the shade. The shade is on the backstretch, which wasn't shown on camera. Today's weather should be the same as yesterday, only adding a chance of thunderstorms late in the afternoon.

                      There were some good races throughout the day, but I think the new SEC relay meet has taken some luster off of the event.

                      Oh, and I saw Carl Lewis doing some coaching for Houston.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by DJG
                        Penn is just a excuse for high school kids in the NY-NJ-PA east(anyone see Pittsburgh schools?)-DEL- MD and D.C.-VA (DC area), hardly 20 states, to get of of school.

                        Cash Cow from start to finish.
                        A California high school won the DMR. Penn does get high teams from 20 states plus the international ones.

                        I would guess that the meet runs in the black but would not call it a cash cow. The meet is expensive to host because security and some other University personnel are union labor on overtime. It would not survive if the 300+ officials were not mostly volunteers paying their own expenses.
                        Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 01:28 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by DJG
                          Penn is just a excuse for high school kids in the NY-NJ-PA east(anyone see Pittsburgh schools?)-DEL- MD and D.C.-VA (DC area), hardly 20 states, to get of of school.

                          Cash Cow from start to finish.
                          Brilliant analysis. Just brilliant.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                            US high school athletes can also be 19 years old.
                            Did you read my comment or feel the need to point out minutiae which anyone would have been able to figure out from that comment?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              For those pining for coverage of the Drake Relays, 3pm today nbcsports.com Gold. Right after coverage of Penn.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by DJG
                                Penn is just a excuse for high school kids in the NY-NJ-PA east(anyone see Pittsburgh schools?)-DEL- MD and D.C.-VA (DC area), hardly 20 states, to get of of school.

                                Cash Cow from start to finish.
                                Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                                HyVee has funded some high-level races bringing together athletes from the OG/WCs and some posters are treating that as a big negative. Go post on LetsRun.

                                By the way, how many different relay events does Penn have (events, not races)?

                                And last I looked, the population within 100 miles of Philly is a bit larger, but is there really a great deal of joy watching 200 4x100/4x400s? It is quite a feat, but not really of much interest for most people (note those here talking about going at other times.
                                If anyone is criticizing Drake for providing more athletic opportunities, that is plain dumb. It is also plain dumb to criticize Penn for being too big or having too much. We constantly lament that our sport needs to broaden its base and attract a wider following. So why attack the one USA event that actually does that?

                                I do not want to bad mouth Drake. It is an important meet with a significant tradition. But it's focus has changed. When I was in college, the college relays at Drake were competitive with Penn, but it has not been that way for decades. I really do think it is now more of an invitational meet for individual events which is not a bad thing but narrower in scope than what Penn does.

                                If Drake ever went out of business or moved its date, it would be a nightmare for Penn because Penn hasn't any more capacity to add an influx of additional entries.

                                May both meets thrive.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X