Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJG
    Penn is just a excuse for high school kids in the NY-NJ-PA east(anyone see Pittsburgh schools?)-DEL- MD and D.C.-VA (DC area), hardly 20 states, to get of of school.

Cash Cow from start to finish.
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    HyVee has funded some high-level races bringing together athletes from the OG/WCs and some posters are treating that as a big negative. Go post on LetsRun.

By the way, how many different relay events does Penn have (events, not races)?

And last I looked, the population within 100 miles of Philly is a bit larger, but is there really a great deal of joy watching 200 4x100/4x400s? It is quite a feat, but not really of much interest for most people (note those here talking about going at other times.
    26miles385 piqued my interest, so I went to the Penn Relays program and counted.

There are 338 events listed including 244 relays, 42 individual track events, 50 field events, and 2 combined events.

Some details on how the 244 are counted:

High school-

The 70(+/-) trial heats each for the high school boys and girls 4x100 are treated as only three events: large school, small school, and prep. Seeded at random in the paddock and no medals for each heat.

There is no high school 4x200 at Penn.

The 45 boys races and 47 girls races in the high school 4x400s are treated as separate events, seeded in advance, and each race receives separate medals and plaques. Seeding goes from slower to faster races until the last 13 which are "classified" based on geography. Teams with best times advance to finals.

College:

The trial heats in the 4x100 are treated as one event.

The trial heats of the 4x200 are treated as one event.

Most of the trial heats of the 4x400 are treated as one event except for a couple of "classified" races at the end.

If you want to treat the high school 4x400 first round as two events instead of 92 events, the grand total of 244 relay events becomes 154 events.

As to the question of joy, I enjoy watching any race in our sport, although I freely admit that to the more casual observer, some races are more interesting than others.

Finally, I would suggest that the reason Penn works for the casual observer compared to other lengthy meets is that a casual observer who sees only a few hours is still guaranteed almost non-stop action at a Penn but guaranteed lots of dead time elsewhere.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Here's one way Drake is better than Penn---IMHO---

The timing system Drake uses provides EVERY mark in the field events series---and numerous splits in all running races longer than 400 meters!

Penn only provides final results---no series marks or lap splits!!

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
        I would say that Penn Relays leaves a bad taste in the mouths of thousands of competitors by the way they are treated in order to run some many heats in as fast a time as possible.
        Inadequate warmup areas, long waits in the tunnel without warmups ( and it is usually cold and rainy), rushed onto the track, no blocks for the start, barely enough time for marks, rush , rush rush, now get out of the way we have a schedule to meet.
        Good performance happen at Penn, but at a high price and inconvenience for 80% of the participants.
        Then why do they keep coming back?

And there are blocks for the finals, just not some of the trials.

I think you miss two things:

First, the huge impact that a Penn has in developing the infrastructure of the sport below the elite level. It is a major positive experience in the development of thousands upon thousands of athletes (below the Bolt level too) coaches, and officials.

Second, the huge amount of good will that it creates internationally which helps the USA.
        Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-29-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
          I would say that Penn Relays leaves a bad taste in the mouths of thousands of competitors by the way they are treated in order to run some many heats in as fast a time as possible
          What you would say would be wrong.

Comment

Amazing anchor leg by Elaine. USA didn't have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
              I would say that Penn Relays leaves a bad taste in the mouths of thousands of competitors by the way they are treated in order to run some many heats in as fast a time as possible.
              Inadequate warmup areas, long waits in the tunnel without warmups ( and it is usually cold and rainy), rushed onto the track, no blocks for the start, barely enough time for marks, rush , rush rush, now get out of the way we have a schedule to meet.
              Good performance happen at Penn, but at a high price and inconvenience for 80% of the participants.
              Exactly the reason why I've never taken a team over there, despite being an easy drive from Ohio, and a few times having 4x4's that ran in the mid-3:40's for HS girls.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

D. Brazier eased up in 1:44.1

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                  What you have described is the total mystique of Penn, for both runners and fans. An unforgettable and unique experience for high schools kids.

Comment

No

Originally posted by DJG
                    On the nBC gold stream, the announcer just said there were 52,000 spectators in the stands. Total capacity at Franklin Field is 52,000. Must be a lot of people in the upper decks down at the concessions because most of those seats are empty.
                    I am here at the meet and there isn't 52,000 people in the stands.

Comment

Great come from behind victory by Jamaica in the men's 4x 400m beating the US.

Comment

Another tremendous win by Jamaica in the women's 4x 400m. It's gonna be a great year for Jamaica.

Comment

Hastings let Thompson get too close to her before she started her acceleration out of the exchange zone.

Comment

Originally posted by tracktown2017 View Post
                            Another tremendous win by Jamaica in the women's 4x 400m. It's gonna be a great year for Jamaica.
                            Another long year of "Jamaica great, USA bad" from trackcamp folks.

Comment

Jamaica's track and field future will be left in good hands when Bolt retires later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tracktown2017 View Post
                                I am here at the meet and there isn't 52,000 people in the stands.
                                People is one of the two plural forms of person.

Comment

Working...
                                X