X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by Lp171781 View Post
    Does anybody know what Barber split in the 400 leg of the womens sprint medley?
    On my watch, it was 50.9. According to the Penn Relays site, 50.90.

What are the chances we'll see Miki compete in the 400 at the USATF next month, with the possibility of getting a spot on the 4x400 relay?

Leave a comment:

• tracktown2017
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I had a chance to watch the Penn Relays last night and here are the things that I noticed:

2) Jamaica's Fitzroy Dunkley gave a good example of how a 4x400 anchor can make up a large deficit if he/she is patient, which contrasted with Natasha Hasting's tactic of making up the whole deficit in the first 100 meters, with predictable results at the end.
    0.[/list]
    Yes. That was a smart run by Dunkley. Years of experience running at LSU trained him for this. I do expect him to finish in the top 3 at our National Championships in June.

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    Truly remarkable for other reasons, too: The 39.00 is only .03 slower than the listed Jamaican Junior National record (national team) and the U.S. is the only NATION to run faster. Surely no four Junior-level athletes from the same school have ever run faster. Calabar should now be #3 on the all-time Junior list, should they not?

Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post
    That Calabar team that ran 39.00 consists of Tyreke Wilson DOB 10 JAN 2000 Christopher Taylor DOB 01 OCT 1999. Michael Stephens DOB 19 AUG 2000 De'jour Russell DOB 01 APR 2000. The truth is that these 4 guys have been running together for 4 years now. They have 2 years left at Calabar although I expect that next year will be their last together. Russell and Stephens haven't been at their best this year. If all are healthy next year 38.5 is possible

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I had a chance to watch the Penn Relays last night and here are the things that I noticed:
    • 1) The piece on how the athletes were herded into the paddock like cattle, having wait as long as 45 minutes without their warm-ups before they raced, illustrated one of the reasons why so many coaches at the bigger schools have decided to abandon the Penn.
    The situation at Penn has actually improved in recent years. It used to be that the athletes would enter the stadium in a cramped driveway in the SW corner and into the paddock which is also in the SW corner near the starting line. There was not much room to move around.

Now, the athletes come in the SE corner and there is a lot more space to stay looser in the open end of the horseshoe shaped stadium under the scoreboard as they move to the SW corner on the green carpet and eventually called into the paddock.

Drake Stadium is also horseshoe shaped but the open end is on the other side. I do not envy the Drake clerks who have to check in athletes at a clerking tent outside the stadium and walk them in near the 200 meter mark and then a half lap on the outside of the track to the starting line. Beyond philosophy or anything else, the physical logistics would not allow Drake to do the volume Penn does.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I'm not particularly sure why there are so many posts picking apart any of the meets.

Enjoy. Stop whining about what you clearly don't care about. It's like a bunch of 12 year olds arguing about who the better shortstop was...Gene Michael or Bud Harrelson.
    Rico Petrocelli, dadgummit!

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Ok. Na na na na na. My relays are better than yours.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    When the day comes that you can't get on message board and bicker about trivial matters, the terrorists will have won.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I'm not particularly sure why there are so many posts picking apart any of the meets.

Enjoy. Stop whining about what you clearly don't care about. It's like a bunch of 12 year olds arguing about who the better shortstop was...Gene Michael or Bud Harrelson.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    • 1) The piece on how the athletes were herded into the paddock like cattle, having wait as long as 45 minutes without their warm-ups before they raced, illustrated one of the reasons why so many coaches at the bigger schools have decided to abandon the Penn Relays.

2) Jamaica's Fitzroy Dunkley gave a good example of how a 4x400 anchor can make up a large deficit if he/she is patient, which contrasted with Natasha Hasting's tactic of making up the whole deficit in the first 100 meters, with predictable results at the end.

3) The 100/100/200/400 SMR experiment that had all of the runners breaking for the pole at the end of the first lap is a bad idea, which gives an unfair advantage to the team in lane one and which could have easily turned into a cluster**** if the race had played out differently.

4) The winning times of both the college and elite non-distance relays were all inferior to the winning times of the SEC Relays with the exception of the men's SMR and the women's 4x400.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 05-01-2017, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied
    The Penn Relays results now lists it as 50.90, which seems more reasonable than the other fantasy that was reported.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Where??

ADD: I found them!
    But I don't recall the SMR splits for UO being there when I first checked---right after the race!!
    Were they added to the results later??
    I'll answer with a definitive probably. I know in other events the splits were not available immediately.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Bullshit! Full field event series marks are on the Penn website.
    Where??

ADD: I found them!
    But I don't recall the SMR splits for UO being there when I first checked---right after the race!!
    Were they added to the results later??
    Last edited by aaronk; 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    I like to believe in the Easter Bunny, but I'm afraid I'm having trouble with the "splitting 49 seconds" that the USATF story has. She's closer to 37 than 36 and has an open 400 PR of 50.63 that goes back 16 years!

This would bean over-the-top monumental feat. (I'd be happy to get some Easter eggs though)
    I thought it was a little shaky on a number of fronts. One is that I saw the Barber leg and don't think 49 matched what I saw. Secondly, I can't believe an article on a track and field site would state an athlete ran 49 secs. If it was written as 49.72 or 49.03 it would have been more believable even if it was incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied
    That Calabar team that ran 39.00 consists of Tyreke Wilson DOB 10 JAN 2000 Christopher Taylor DOB 01 OCT 1999. Michael Stephens DOB 19 AUG 2000 De'jour Russell DOB 01 APR 2000. The truth is that these 4 guys have been running together for 4 years now. They have 2 years left at Calabar although I expect that next year will be their last together. Russell and Stephens haven't been at their best this year. If all are healthy next year 38.5 is possible

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I like to believe in the Easter Bunny, but I'm afraid I'm having trouble with the "splitting 49 seconds" that the USATF story has. She's closer to 37 than 36 and has an open 400 PR of 50.63 that goes back 16 years!

This would bean over-the-top monumental feat. (I'd be happy to get some Easter eggs though)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X