Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCLA Moves Forward in Attempt to Kill the Dual Meet

In what's inarguably the greatest historical dual meet in NCAA history, UCLA pulled a disgraceful move by refusing to run either 4x400. Yes, both meets had already been determined, but what a dis-service to the nice crowd in attendance and the Pac 12 TV audience which was "treated" to winning times of 3:49 and 3:22. Coach Mike Maynard should be censured by the conference for this gutless move. I guess he's saving his teams for the point or two they'll both get at conference in a few weeks.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 04-30-2017, 11:57 PM.

USC - UCLA Dual 2017

Today was this year's edition of what used to be the greatest dual of the year (and in some respects, still very good).

Excerpts

Men 4x100 Relay
    1 USC 39.39
    2 UCLA 39.77

Women 100 Hurdles
    1 Cockrell, Anna USC 12.91 1.1
    2 Hall, Dior USC 13.03

Men 110 Hurdles
    1 Morris, Marquis USC 13.56 2.0
    2 Viltz, Misana UCLA 13.75

Women 400 Dash
    1 Ellis, Kendall USC 51.37

Men 400
    1 Norman, Michael USC 45.22
    2 Benjamin, Rai UCLA 45.72

Women 100
    1 Hill, Deanna USC 11.12 3.0

Men 100
    1 Powell, Leon UCLA 10.26 0.9

Women 800
    1 Rizk, Julia UCLA 2:05.12
    2 Smith, Mikaela USC 2:05.17

Women 400 Hurdles
    1 Iuel, Amalie USC 55.62
    2 Cockrell, Anna USC 55.86

Women 200
    1 Hill, Deanna USC 22.74 1.7
    2 Ellis, Kendall USC 22.79 1.7

Men 200
    1 Sourapas, Christia USC 20.63 0.9

Women Javelin
    1 Haury, Zaybree UCLA 52.23m 171-04

Women Long Jump
    1 Jones, Margaux USC 6.30m 2.3 20-8
    2 Maduka, Jessie UCLA 6.15m 1.5 20-2.25

Men Long Jump
    1 Sloan, Eric USC 7.85m 1.0 25-09.25

And then there were these two abominations!

Men Pole Vault
    1 Gonzalez, Michael USC 5.11m 16-9.25
    2 Turner, Riley UCLA 4.76m 15-7.25
    3 Holmes, Isaiah UCLA 4.01m 13-1.75

Jumpers in the 60s woulda beat ‘em!

Men 400 Hurdles
    1 Benjamin, Rai UCLA 54.58
    2 Morris, Marquis USC 55.28
    3 Viltz, Misana UCLA 58.27

I (!), 2nd from the bottom on the Stanford depth chart, woulda come in 3rd!

Team Scores

Women
    1) USC 86
    2) UCLA 77

Men
    1) UCLA 88
    2) USC 75

Comment

USC runs a 'thin' team, and if the person is not good, there is not much in the event. To an extent all college teams are this way, as the costs are non-trivial and the scholarships are much more limited than before.

Comment

The coaches were in a contest. Usually the winning team, if at home, does not bat in the bottom of the ninth inning. Conference meets are coming up, maybe a key member of a team was not in the right shape, minor injury and getting an inferior time was not going to add anything. This is probably the most misleading headline I have seen on here in a long time.

Comment

The dual meet has been dead in most of the country for over three decades.

Comment

Given that we're not talking about baseball, I can't recall ever seeing a dual meet where a coach pulled his 4x4 team(s). UCLA/USC remains a viable meet, though perhaps not for long with this sort of behavior. The fans deserve more. I'm not alone in my thoughts as the announcing team (which included ex-Bruin Dwight Stones) castigated UCLA as well.

Comment

There was a time when a coach would have caught hell for this. I don't know what's worse: that hardly anyone will care, or that more than a few coaches think such a development is a good thing.

Comment

I'm with 26mi235 on this one. I can fully understand why a coach would not contest an event in these circumstances, and I think I'd feel the same way if I were a paying spectator at the event.

Comment

name 3 really good dual meets any place in the country. no longer relevant. sad, but true. I was at the UCLA-USC dual meet in the Coliseum when the Bruins defeated the Trojans for the first time. I cannot even remember the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                    name 3 really good dual meets any place in the country. no longer relevant. sad, but true. I was at the UCLA-USC dual meet in the Coliseum when the Bruins defeated the Trojans for the first time. I cannot even remember the year.
                    I was thinking about a dual between USC & UCLA. I think that it was about the end of high school and it was a great meet; I think that I was cheering for UCLA. I lived just east of LA (i.e., 8 miles) at the time so it was likely about 1968.

Comment

The Pepsi meets at Hayward have been very entertaining over recent years, though they've been triangular and quadrangular meets. Washington has always attended, SC, UCLA, A&M, Arkansas, Penn State and others have made for interesting meets and a reasonable number of quality entrants in most events, while allowing Duck fans to enjoy the Washington/Oregon rivalry. Apart from the 4x4 situation today, it was pretty sad to watch some events with zero participants from the other side or other events when only 3 or 4 lanes were filled. Perhaps quadrangular meets with old rivals and a few other quality schools are the answer. I liked the East vs West concept at the Armory this indoor season; granted that the West was only two schools (UCLA and Oregon), they competed against ten or so Eastern schools and it was a very entertaining meet.
                      Last edited by bruce3404; 05-01-2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Hard to have a good men's dual meet with 12.6 scholarships.

Comment

Bowerman had great dual meet teams with 2 scholarships. Pining for more than 12.6 is wasting your time. Point is that college T&F has been kicking fans in the teeth for 35 years and we can all see the results.

Comment

Most impressed by Anna Cockrell's 12.91 (1.1).
                            I don't think she'd run faster than 13.20 all season!
                            I'd been expecting this (the 12.91) for awhile, based on her having broken the 60H HSR TWICE INdoors in 2016---8.08, then 8.02!

Hope there's much more there---maybe 12.6 or 12.7!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                              name 3 really good dual meets any place in the country.
                              Cal-Stanford
                              Washington-Washington State
                              Arizona-Arizona State, etc

And don't forget traditional rivals that have great dual meets, not with the high level of marks produced by the likes of USC and UCLA, but with exciting competition that everyone enjoys. Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale are two examples in the East, but there are "really good" dual meets all over the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X