X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New DL Rules

from article

https://www.diamondleague.com/rules/

I like the new dual-final concept in Zurich and Brussels. Hope they don't muck it up.

Of course, the weight throws, horizontal jumps, 400H and distance events get screwed over, only being contested four times before the "winner-take-all" finals. So, showing up for meets and consistency are being lowered in priority vis-a-vis one performance on one day. As long as athletes get enough point to qualify for Zurich/Brussels, they don't have motivation to compete in most of the meets, which may cause fields in the "warmup" meets to suffer. I guess the IAAF got tired of having some events clinched before the finals, but the winners still had to show up for Zurich or Brussels. Last year, Christian Taylor and Sandra Perkovic both had their events sewn up, but Taylor jumped 17.80 at Zurich and Perkovic tossed 68.44, "just going through the motions".

Now they are going to run the men's and women's discus throws simultaneously in Shanghai, alternating a man and a woman throwing. They did the same thing in Eugene indoors WC with the PV, the big difference being that in Eugene nothing else was going on, so you could watch every attempt, whereas in Shanghai the discus events start just a few minutes before the races, with other field events, started earlier, still in progress. It will be interesting to see how the TV director handles the situation.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I like the new dual-final concept in Zurich and Brussels.
      There's always been a dual-final concept, with Zurich and Brussels each serving as the final meet for one half of the events on the program. It's been this way since the DL was created in 2010.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
        They did the same thing in Eugene indoors WC with the PV, the big difference being that in Eugene nothing else was going on, so you could watch every attempt, whereas in Shanghai the discus events start just a few minutes before the races, with other field events, started earlier, still in progress. It will be interesting to see how the TV director handles the situation.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA, USA
        Are you kidding? There were DL meets last year, where zero seconds of field events were shown live. Hoping for the discus to get any kind of coverage is very optimistic unless you bought the NBC thingy, in which case you should get a dedicated stream for each event.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
          There's always been a dual-final concept, with Zurich and Brussels each serving as the final meet for one half of the events on the program. It's been this way since the DL was created in 2010.
          No, this is different, in the sense that the winner of the Diamond is the winner of the final meet, be it Zurich or Brussels. Points in earlier meets serve ONLY to qualify for the finals, so every event in Zurich or Brussels decides the diamond for that event.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
            Are you kidding? There were DL meets last year, where zero seconds of field events were shown live. Hoping for the discus to get any kind of coverage is very optimistic unless you bought the NBC thingy, in which case you should get a dedicated stream for each event.
            Of course, but if they are trying this special male/female thing to increase fan interest, you'd think they want to SHOW some of it, no?
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

No, this is different, in the sense that the winner of the Diamond is the winner of the final meet, be it Zurich or Brussels. Points in earlier meets serve ONLY to qualify for the finals, so every event in Zurich or Brussels decides the diamond for that event.
              I'm fully aware of it, but that's not what Atticus was talking about. At least that's how I read his post.

Comment

Now they are going to run the men's and women's discus throws simultaneously in Shanghai, alternating a man and a woman throwing. They did the same thing in Eugene indoors WC with the PV, the big difference being that in Eugene nothing else was going on, so you could watch every attempt, whereas in Shanghai the discus events start just a few minutes before the races, with other field events, started earlier, still in progress. It will be interesting to see how the TV director handles the situation.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA
                Are you sure? I was under the impression that they will be alternating rounds, not every throw. From a TV standpoint it will probably not make things better, or worse. Different countries show a different amount of the field events to their taste.

Anyway, a co-event for the genders isn't that much of a big deal since the DL throwing fields are very small.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                  I'm fully aware of it, but that's not what Atticus was talking about. At least that's how I read his post.
                  I'm almost certain that's what he was referring to, since he provided a link to the "new rules", which provide for the "winner-take-all" final, as well as cutting back lots of events to four competitions.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by trackk View Post
                    Are you sure? I was under the impression that they will be alternating rounds, not every throw. From a TV standpoint it will probably not make things better, or worse. Different countries show a different amount of the field events to their taste.

Anyway, a co-event for the genders isn't that much of a big deal since the DL throwing fields are very small.
                    Yes, it does say "rounds", but I'm not sure what they mean by it. We'll see.

BTW, the DL can't even describe its own rules correctly:
                    "In the jumps, throws and long distance disciplines, athletes will have the chance to pick up points in four qualifying meets, while in all other disciplines, there will be six chances to pick up points."

The HJ and PV are still getting 6 competitions.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Yes, it does say "rounds", but I'm not sure what they mean by it. We'll see.
                      I'm pretty sure it will be the same format I've seen at some meets in Poland (including the Skolimowska Memorial, where Anita Włodarczyk set her last WR). First all the women get their round 1 throws, then it's the men, then it's the women's round 2 etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X