Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He actually has good hurdling technique due to his 110H experience in high school. What he has no experience at is reading the hurdles and using his non-dominant leg. His problem the way I see it is that he's not tall enough to start out with a 13-step stride pattern which means he'll have to learn a 14-step pattern which requires him to alternate right out of the blocks. Most of the top men and top women are able to carry an odd-number step-pattern deep into the race which means they don't have to use their non-dominant leg until the 8th ot 9th hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      He actually has good hurdling technique due to his 110H experience in high school.
      That actually works against him. The more experience you have using just one leg, the harder it is to get good at the other one. It feels so weird, like throwing left-handed after throwing righty all your life. From day 1 as a hurdles coach, I made my charges use both in practice, if only to compensate for the hard time I had with my 'other' leg.

Comment

At his height, I wonder if he might just do well just doing 15 steps the whole way? 24 to the first, 15 all the way and 20 in. 189 total steps including hurdles. Not fool around with lead leg switches. It’s a pretty close pattern to his 400 race model which is just under 200 steps.

Comment

Originally posted by deca View Post
          At his height, I wonder if he might just do well just doing 15 steps the whole way? 24 to the first, 15 all the way and 20 in. 189 total steps including hurdles. Not fool around with lead leg switches. It’s a pretty close pattern to his 400 race model which is just under 200 steps.
          Makes it hard to go low 47. What does Warholm do - he could be the model.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Makes it hard to go low 47. What does Warholm do - he could be the model.
            13 the whole way. Burrell (5'10") is shorter than Warholm (6'2"). .

Comment

I think Batman is shorter than Burrell. What was his step pattern?

Comment

I'm pretty sure Batman did 15 the entire way. Warholm does 13 strides the entire way on a good day. Most of his days are good days!
                In his 49.21 Burrell did 13 strides between hurdles 1 and 2 and then chopped to fit in 15 strides over the next three or four hurdles. He then looked very comfortable on 15 strides for the last half of the race.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  I think Batman is shorter than Burrell. What was his step pattern?
                  He's a 15-stepper but that pattern doesn't constrain him as much as it constrains Burrell, nor the top women either for that matter. It's tough for guys Burrell's height to make an odd number of steps work.

Comment

Comparing Burrell to Privalova is pointless, they are two completely different athletes from different event backgrounds and were/are at different stages of their career re 400mh. Come 2000 Privalova had over a decade experience at the elite level, had participated in 2 prior Olympics Games, 4 World Championships & 3 European Championships. She'd won medals in 3 different sprint distances and her preparation for the 400mh consisted of running 60mh, 100mh, 100m, 200m and a 400m.

Comment

Working...
                    X