Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing Zones

Besides cutting time limits in field events, I note the IAAF Rules Amendments redefined the takeover zone:
    In the 4x100m and the 4x200m relays and for the first and second changes in the Medley Relay, each takeover zone shall be 30m long, of which the scratch line is 20m from the start of the zone.
    Wording was changed so that for all relays runners must start within the takeover zone.

I know one country that will not have to change anything in its relay coaching.
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Originally posted by DJG
    It seems the wording was changed to eliminate the DQ's for early touching. Wonder why that change was made?
    Agree the (former) acceleration zone is now part of the exchange (takeover) zone
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
      Wording was changed so that for all relays runners must start within the takeover zone.
      My original post might have been clearer if I had said "Wording was also changed ..."
      As correctly noted, the 10-meter (former) acceleration zone for the 4×1 and 4×2 is now part of the 30-meter passing (takeover) zone, and there is no acceleration zone ahead of the takeover zone for any relay.

I assume this will ripple down through all levels, and
      1) Eliminate the early touching foul,
      2) Change the responsibility (and positioning) of the umpire at the beginning of the zone,
      3) Move the big painted triangles 10 meters,
      4) Certainly change the coaching of the event, and possibly the strategy for younger teams who may have uneven talent.

Maybe not a bad rules change, but a little too far beneath the radar for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
        2. You still need an official to watch that the outgoing runner does not drift further down track so that the lead-off leg, lets say, only runs 80 meters or so.
        Agreed. But under the new rule, instead of being positioned to observe whether passes commence 10 meters ahead of the scratch line, the umpire will move 10 meters to ensure the outgoing runners start within the zone. Not a big change from the current duty, and consistent with the 4×4, but a change nonetheless. This may differ with geography, but many of the officials I have worked with do not adapt well to change.

Comment

As I understand this rule, I do not mind it at all. Not sure why we want rules to disqualify teams when it is a situation that does not provide a benefit to any specific team, still determines the winner by who runs that fastest and gets what I tend to think of as an essentially pointless rule.

Comment

You are not going to exchange the baton in zero meters and Bolt is not going to be as fast in the first five meters as someone running hard. Yes, Bolt my get in an extra five meters but is that really that bad a thing. And since we really are talking about the 4x100, you are making a really minor change in any net distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
              if it really doesn't matter that all four runners share basically the same load of the running -the concept of teamwork and all - then just eliminate the exchange zones completely and let them make three passes wherever they want.
              I do not think that you mean this at all. We all know that this is a slight relaxation of a rule that is of little practical significance in terms of the nature of the event. Rather, it merely serves as a place where, by a tenth of a second or so, a team can be disqualified. I have a similar dislike for some of the rulings on the 4x400, where teams have been disqualified because there was a shuffling at the line that merely reflected where the teams where all down the straight, and possibly the putting out of order was a result of gaming by a team to get the other team DQ'd. Such rules are really the worst thing for the sport, as no one is really happy, the average fan is clueless why it happened and would have no reason to suppose that it is a reasonable rule.

Comment

personal attacks frowned upon here. you have been warned

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
                  Agreed. But under the new rule, instead of being positioned to observe whether passes commence 10 meters ahead of the scratch line, the umpire will move 10 meters to ensure the outgoing runners start within the zone. Not a big change from the current duty, and consistent with the 4×4, but a change nonetheless. This may differ with geography, but many of the officials I have worked with do not adapt well to change.
                  I can't imagine officials having a problem with a rule change that makes their job quite a bit easier.

Comment

Any rule changes in relays will bring their own complexities.

I am sure the US team can find new ways to demonstrate their lack of preparation.
                    Any rule that prevents DQs by inches is fine by me. If you don't drop it and leave, then let them run.

And please - saying some will run long and some short is a red herring. Bolt will run 230 and a slower guy will run 170. Just nuts. Bolt at 230 is not near as fast as Bolt at 200.

Comment

Working...
                    X