Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugene weather….. are you shitting me?!

today (Tuesday) high of 85

Wednesday (meet starts) 79 and mostly cloudy

Thursday 63 and chance of rain

Friday 60 and thunderstorm

Saturday 59 and chance of rain

professor positive welcomes the damping down of pollen :-)

Originally posted by gh View Post
    Given the gripping nature of spikes in the wet (very good!), I'm less worried about that, and yeah, temps in the low 60s aren't the best, but what do the wind vectors look like? All in all, I'll take all the rest of the bad news as long as the winds are friendly.

Comment

I'll never forget the 10K when Henry Rono and Alberto Salazar dueled in the pouring rain----start to finish---and ran 27:30----one-tenth apart!

Comment

Well, at least the pole vault is scheduled for the least rainy days, but I bet the wind is a swirly mess

Comment

Generally the winds are light to modest. Strongest winds are a couple sets of several hours at 10mph, and remember that is at 10m above ground level, so most all winds should be wind-legal. Worst part is starting at 11am on Saturday, which also has all-day rain with the rain beginning mid-day Friday.

Comment

This sort of weather in Eugene always makes me laugh after all the whining west coasters complain about the heat and humidity in the midwest. I would take the weather the last time the meet was in Des Moines every day of the week.

Comment

all depends what you're used to; as somebody born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, high humidity just destroys me and rain and cool doesn't trouble me a whit. (talking personally; the rain can make a track meet miserable for the performers, to be sure)

Comment

I'll take cool and drizzly over hot and humid and I live in a hot humid climate.

Comment

For a track meet? Heck, no. Hot and humid, or hot and dry.

Comment

the rain can make a track meet miserable for the performers, to be sure)
                    And for spectators. Fortunately, the East and West grandstands at Hayward have roofs that provide cover for most of the seats. If the wind isn't too bad, it may be possible to sit there and not get wet even though it's raining.

Comment

today (Tuesday) high of 85

professor positive welcomes the damping down of pollen :-)
                      Time for an East Coast counterpart as an alternative to Hayward Field, no?

Any suggestions? I have 2 in NYC. Icahn Stadium, with stands on the back-straight (which used to be the case at one point late last decade and early this decade), is a possibility. So is Wien Stadium, which held the New York Games for 7 summers from 1989 to 1995.

Speaking of which, I was one of hundreds, if not a thousand (and something in the far corners of my memory is telling me that it may have actually been two thousand), who took to the field at Wien Stadium in 1989 to form a huge square around the high jump area, to watch Patrik Sjöberg attempt to become the first 8-footer. It didn't happen (Javier Sotomayor jumped 8 feet a week later), but the gathering at the HJ area was something I never thought would happen at a track meet beforehand.
                      CookyMonzta
                      Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-08-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Not going to happen in NYC, it is too expensive for so many competitors and their coaches etc., and families/friends. They may also not have the personnel to run this meet, something a lot of people overlook at times.

Comment

I believe the NCAA pays for the travel of the athletes and teams who qualify for the D1 meet? I doubt they would want the increase in cost that NY would bring.

Comment

Should have the meet back at Sacramento State.Hot and dry during the day.Cooler at night.But no entire days of rain.
                            "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by fourjz View Post
                              Should have the meet back at Sacramento State.Hot and dry during the day.Cooler at night.But no entire days of rain.
                              So by nightfall you can finally actually sit in the stands? 100 and sunny can be brutal.

Comment

Working...
                              X