Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 USATF Outdoor Champions: Where Should It Be Held? [Drake named]

I have been at the USA Track and Field website and I haven't seen any news about where the 2018 Outdoor Championships will be held. I was thinking that the championships should be held somewhere other than in the Western USA. My idea is that it should be held in Indianapolis, Indiana, or in Des Moines, Iowa. What are your thoughts about it? Other places are welcome for consideration.
    Last edited by gh; 01-11-2018, 10:34 PM.

Indy no longer has a suitable facility, far as I know.

There has probably been no news because nobody wants to step and claim the meet in a non-qual year (for OG or WC). It's a familiar problem once every quadrennium.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      Indy no longer has a suitable facility, far as I know.

There has probably been no news because nobody wants to step and claim the meet in a non-qual year (for OG or WC). It's a familiar problem once every quadrennium.
      Mt. Sac in Walnut, California..daytime highs 88-91 F; evening in high 70's/low 80's; light winds; no rain...
      Last edited by 1runner1; 06-12-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

The Spire facility near Cleveland is more than suitable.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
          The Spire facility near Cleveland is more than suitable.
          There are some SEC facilities that are great, not that any of them would want to bother with USATF.

Comment

How many of the SEC facilities have an adjacent warmup track(serious question)? Spire does, and can seat 10,000 outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
              How many of the SEC facilities have an adjacent warmup track(serious question)? Spire does, and can seat 10,000 outdoors.
              good thing not in Cleveland this year....rain likely every day of USATF's...I'll stick with newly renovated facility in SoCal! Had enough of running in the rain!

Comment

Mt. SAC will not be finished by next summer.

Comment

Lawrence, Kansas!

Jacksonville, Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                    Mt. SAC will not be finished by next summer.
                    too bad!

Comment

I've never heard of the folks at Spire bidding on any USATF events.

I'm guessing that both Oregon and Mt SAC will be unavailable due to construction? So probably Sac St or Drake, since they are the only other two facilities that have shown any interest in hosting in recent times (as far as I know).

The facility at Indy was turfed for a local soccer team, there is nowhere to conduct the long throws.

There are other facilities in the US that are suitable for hosting the meet, but most people here don't realize what a huge financial risk it is to host this event. There just aren't many LOCs interested.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                        I've never heard of the folks at Spire bidding on any USATF events.

I didnt say they had(so far), but the facilities are certainly more than adequate, and they've hosted several major collegiate championships(including this year's NCAA D3 meet)

Comment

Dallas!
                          What? No? Anyone?
                          (sigh) Just wishful folly.

Comment

Problem at SPIRE is the field events are ALL outside the stadium. Fans couldn't easily watch the jumps or throws from the stands.

Comment

and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, perhaps the biggest reason the meet traditionally hasn't moved around much is that you have to have somebody at the local level with the time/money to set up an LOC and the hundreds and hundreds of people to make it work. (That's not event getting into the expertise side of things)

It's not like the national office takes care of all these things. Never have (well, other than increased presence at an Indy hosting), probably never will.

Comment

Working...
                              X