Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Women's Decathlon, All Conditions, All-Time

Now that USATF is accepting WDec marks set with either order of field events, and the IAAF is moving to follow, it seemed like a good time to try and put together an all-time list under ALL conditions.

Because there have been few remotely high caliber domestic meets for Women's Decathlon, many marks have been set in meets without wind gauges, but the bar to have a wind-aided mark in the decathlon is pretty high.

I don't see any reason to believe there is a significant difference in points scored depending on the order of events, as the order of running events stays the same. The women's order perhaps gives a slight edge to a good pole vaulter while the men's order may give a slight edge to a good heptathlete.

The all-time best USA mark was 7577 set in 2000 by Tiffany Lott-Hogan in a Women-only Decathlon in Germany. I was able to find the original results posted on the steeple.de archives, but no indication of whether or not wind-readings were taken. If anyone here knows anything about this, please do let me know, as we will need to consider whether or not to ratify this mark as the American Record in December.

I would also love any information anyone has on decathlons Stacy Dragila participated in.

I've also seen reference to Phil Raschker possibly participating in a Decathlon or two back in the 80s?

Here is the list, all marks I could find over 5,000. If you have any additional results please let me know! I do intend to eventually add the points to each event mark as well. All scores are using current scoring tables.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

7577 Tiffany Lott-Hogan 12.31 38.39m 3.00m 46.93m 58.01 13.57 5.77m 13.86m 1.69m 6:01.24

While these are solid marks, seems like several Hepers could break this with just a decent PV.

Comment

yeah, but herpes is a bitch to deal with... oh, never mind.

Comment

It's hard to have a good American record when there are basically zero domestic opportunities for Open athletes and no prize money or National Championship to use as incentives for elite athletes to make any attempt.

But on a happier note, Girls Decathlon has exploded in Vermont. They had over 60 athletes competing the past two years in the State Decathlon (they dropped the hep a few years prior to that) and have 81 high schoolers entered. The meet begins Monday. http://802timing.com/results/17resul...170619F001.htm

Also 105 boys entered. God bless the meet director and officials who have the patience to run that meet...

Comment

Sorry, PVP, but I think the Women's Dec (& the Men's) needs a standard sequence of events.
          Compare it to a marathon (or any road running) course that changes from time to time---even every year!
          It might be due to road repairs or whatever, but when the course changes, so does the course RECORD!!
          Even if the difference is negligible----a very slight uphill becomes a very slight downhill----it's still a NEW course---and therefore requires a NEW course record!!

So if you switch the events, you could have up to 10 different Dec records!!
          I'm sure you disagree, but please tell me why!

Comment

I thought the order of events for multis was already graven in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              Sorry, PVP, but I think the Women's Dec (& the Men's) needs a standard sequence of events.
              Compare it to a marathon (or any road running) course that changes from time to time---even every year!
              It might be due to road repairs or whatever, but when the course changes, so does the course RECORD!!
              Even if the difference is negligible----a very slight uphill becomes a very slight downhill----it's still a NEW course---and therefore requires a NEW course record!!

So if you switch the events, you could have up to 10 different Dec records!!
              I'm sure you disagree, but please tell me why!

The list states how the event was run, so you're welcome to keep your own lists however you would like. Have you ever kept a Women's/Girls Decathlon list?

I don't think there is enough data for anyone to truly know how the order of field events impacts the scores. Maybe someone in Europe can give a more informed opinion.

The Women's order is best if you want to run a full men's and women's competition at the same time.

But almost no one is doing that, and the problem is if you have a small number of women who want to do a decathlon, you still need another set of officials to accommodate them, they can't just jump in with the men in a low key event. The men's order is best if you have a small number of women looking for an opportunity at an existing men's meet.

I am trying to get the Girls Decathlon added to the Junior Olympic Regional Meets, and it's never going to happen if we need a bunch of additional officials. Not every region can support that.

The funny thing is, the Olympics and World Champs both have such a long window that, under the current format, it doesn't matter what order the women run, they wouldn't be on the same days/time as the men.

FWIW, my opinion is that Championship meets should probably be run with the Women's order of events, but that either order should be allowed for qualifying.

If the IAAF ever forces a change at the top, and all current heptathlons turn into decathlons, then sure, you are in a better place to force everyone to use the same order of events. But until that happens, decathlon opportunities are nearly impossible to find, and the order of events has been as much of a barrier as a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                I thought the order of events for multis was already graven in stone.

The stone can be changed every year.

We changed it at the USATF level to allow either order, a move that seemed to be of little to no consequence at the time, given the lack of meets being contested within our country. The goal was to have more flexibility to create opportunities for girls and women.

Apparently the IAAF thought that was a good idea and copied the move for next year. I have no idea what _their_ rationale was. I wasn't trying to get the IAAF to change it.

Comment

I still don't get it!
                  The men's order has remained the same for decades.
                  Tables have changed, but NOT the order of events!

Why would the number of meets holding a Woman's Dec make any difference?
                  Whether 1 or 2 meets hold it (or 1 or 2 states!)---or there's 50 meets (states!!)----the ORDER should remain standard!!

The Hammer has been relegated to a HT Challenge series---for the most part.
                  But the rules of the HT remain the same.

There are less and less track 10K's run....but the race still requires 25 laps of a 400 meter track!!

But no, I don't have a list of Women's Dec marks----for the obvious reason that there's probably not enough to fill my Top 24 list!!

Once it becomes a frequently held event, you can bet I'll start a list & set of records for it!!
                  I'd LOVE for there to be a Women's Dec----but with a SET sequence of events!!

Comment

But no, I don't have a list of Women's Dec marks----for the obvious reason that there's probably not enough to fill my Top 24 list!!
                    There are plenty of marks to fill up a list of 24 if you are willing to go low enough in quality.

Comment

I still don't get it!
                      The men's order has remained the same for decades.
                      Tables have changed, but NOT the order of events!
                      The women's order is different because, if men and women are held concurrently, one gender wouldn't have to wait for the other to finish using the field event venue.

Comment

And the men never had to worry about the Woman's Deca making them wait. Aaron, you can be so focused on stuff that does not matter much in the current context. If you want to pony up enough money to make it possible to not have that constraint then you can make the rules. To think that the major issue facing the event is the order is just ludicrous.

Comment

For what it's worth, a girl from West Virginia is presently gathering signatures to petition the IOC and IAAF to add the women's decathlon to the Olympic Games. Here's a link if you are interested:

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                            a girl from West Virginia is presently gathering signatures to petition the IOC and IAAF to add the women's decathlon to the Olympic Games.
                            Signed it! (Can't hurt, but I'm guessing the groundswell has to start in the IOC constituency.)

Comment

All-time list now has a new tab for high school! I went ten deep in each grade, plus found three 8th grade marks!

Overall list has been updated with two more 5000+ marks from the VT state decathlon held a week ago.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I have now scoured athletic.net, Milesplit and the google for results. Main thing I am missing right now are obscure results from women jumping in men's decathlons. Need wind readings from Lott-Hogan's 7577. If I can find those, we may well be ratifying a new American Record in December.

I also intend to try and track down the right people to sign the paperwork to submit Kirstie Leslie's 5676 as the AJR.

Corrections/additions/comments welcome!!

Comment

Working...
                              X