Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Athletics Under 23 Championships

From Thursday, July 13, through Sunday, July 16, in Bydgoszcz, Poland, European Athletics will be holding its Under 23 Championships. Information about the event can be found at http://www.european-athletics.org/co...championships/. The European Athletics website will also stream the event worldwide, except in Poland, Sweden, and Germany.

Bukowiecki 21.26 meet record in qualifying.

Comment

And it's 21.59 for Bukowiecki in the final, a new outdoor PB.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
        And it's 21.59 for Bukowiecki in the final, a new outdoor PB.
        Assuming the ball is 16 lbs, he broke the Age 20 record of Randy Matson (70-7.25)---set in 1965!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          Assuming the ball is 16 lbs, he broke the Age 20 record of Randy Matson (70-7.25)---set in 1965!!
          Matson's mark of 21.52/70' 7¼" was a world record in 1965, breaking Dallas Long's 20.68/67' 10" WR by a whooping 2' 9". He actually broke Long's record on his first throw that day (20.95/68' 8¾"), but he threw the 21.52 in the second round and that was the only one submitted for WR ratification.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Yes it was. The Under 23s use senior specifications in all events.

Comment

Karsten Warholm is trying to double in the 400m and 400m hurdles.
              He runs the semis in the 400 hurdles tomorrow, and the 400m final a few hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
                Karsten Warholm is trying to double in the 400m and 400m hurdles.
                He runs the semis in the 400 hurdles tomorrow, and the 400m final a few hours later.
                He's got a good chance of pulling it off. He can afford to take it very easy in the 400H semi and there's something like 2.5 hrs. before the 400 final, which should be enough time for him to rest.

Comment

Caroline Agnou's 6330 Hept win broke the Switzerland National Record for the 2nd time this year----by 2 different women!!
                  Geraldine Ruckstuhl broke it earlier this year!!

Comment

And Ruckstuhl is a U20! Let's see what she can do in Grosseto next week. She's also the European U20 leader in JT and is entered in that event as well, although I'm not sure she'll actually go for the double, given the schedule (JT qualifying is on day 1, final on 2, the same two days as the heptathlon).

Comment

I have been watching the women's mid-long distance events most closely here. I was curious to see who else might medal in the w10k, after Yasmin Can, who was so far superior to the rest of the field that her gold medal was pretty much a foregone conclusion, unless she became ill or injured.

Sarah Lahti seemed a good guess for silver, and I was glad to see her earn that medal -- that's a nice addition to her career. She has some experience with senior area and global championships, having finished 9th, iirc, at EC last year, and she also set a Swedish NR with her 12th place 31:28 at Rio. She ended last year as the Swedish NR holder, and also had the #2 and #6 performances on that list. (Those have all been bumped down one slot, after Meraf Bahta ran a new NR of 31:13 earlier this year.)

After that I would have had no rational guesses for medals, and so Busra Nur Koku (TUR) was as much a possibility as anyone, given that this was just her 2nd outing at 10k. She ran Euro Cup last month in 33:48, so this is a PB.

Comment

Kiriazis beaten by Rivasz-Tóth in the JT; Warholm beaten by Janežič in the flat 400.

Comment

EAA commentators bore me to tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
                            EAA commentators bore me to tears.
                            I'm not sure I've heard the commentator pronounce even one non-British name correctly yet.

Comment

w800
                              G Renee Eykens (BEL) 2:04.73
                              S Anita Hinriksdottir (ISL) 2:05.02
                              B Hannah Segrave (GBR) 2:05.53

Eykens and Hinriksdottir were the class of this field, each coming in with similar PBs (RE 2:00.00; AH 2:00.05). These two are about the same age, and now have a good head-to-head record, from U18 to U23 championships, and some other competitions. Hinriksdottir is 4-3 against Eykens, but Eykens is now 2-1 in championships. Prior to this, in championships: 2013 WYC, Hinkriksdottir earned gold, and Eykens was 6th; EJC 2015, Eykens earned gold, and Hinriksdottir bronze. Each of them is so close to sub-2:00 now, I hope they get good opportunities to get to 1:59. Hannah Segrave is a 4-time NAIA champion (indoor, outdoor 2016 and 2017), was 2nd indoor and outdoor in 2015, and was 4th/5th indoor/outdoor in 2014. She now has this medal to add to her accomplishments, in her first post-collegiate international championship.
                              Last edited by Master Po; 07-15-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X