Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Alt Jumps

From front page. This is crazy?!
    Not a track, just a runway. Would any record hold?

I thought it silly at first, but they've got some real deal kids - especially in the TJ.

With this altitude and no stadium to protect them from the wind, they'll need luck to get winds readings below 2 mps.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
      With this altitude and no stadium to protect them from the wind, they'll need luck to get winds readings below 2 mps.
      Hey, if people will watch a 2:00 marathon, I damn sure would watch a high windy mountain attack on 30 and 60.

Comment

Which may happen if they get tail winds, but what if it's 10 mps head wind?

Comment

guessing that a place like that probably has fairly predictable winds, regards to direction, given how terrain-driven it's likely to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
            We need a layout like (I think it was) Ricky Bruch had, where there was a ring in each corner of a field, and you just picked the wind you wanted. They could have runways laid out like an asterisk and just compete on the one with the legal tail-wind!

Comment

I imagine the reason the event is scheduled over three days (16-18 August) is primarily due to the weather.

Looking at the weather on their website, at 3300m the forecast for this weekend is a daytime high of 7°C (45°F), with winds at 18km/h (5mps). A site with a longer-term forecast expects 6cm of snow to fall around Aug 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                We need a layout like (I think it was) Ricky Bruch had, where there was a ring in each corner of a field, and you just picked the wind you wanted. They could have runways laid out like an asterisk and just compete on the one with the legal tail-wind!
                I believe Bruch's Malmö layout was a ring in the center of a big field and the sector was laid out accordingly for the prevailing winds.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I believe Bruch's Malmö layout was a ring in the center of a big field and the sector was laid out accordingly for the prevailing winds.
                  No, it was just a standard (= soccer) size field. So Atticus description is correct.
                  Actually I believe almost all Bruch's "competitions" used the same ring as the wind direction in Malmö (when it is windy) is fairly consistent (from the SW). So the one-ring-in-every-corner setup was in reality mostly a ploy loved by the media.
                  A throwing field still exists there but now the discus sector is permanently fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    But if it's really windy, no change of direction is going to make the conditions right for setting records. At best, they would have strong wind perpendicular to the runway, which is going to be a hindrance as well.

Comment

This is still scheduled for tomorrow unless weather conditions are bad. Anyone knows if the event will be streamed?

Comment

Story linked on front page says World Champ Manyonga will be going for the long jump WR at this competition.

Comment

Forecast is not optimal for long jumps, clear or partly cloudy in the low 40s.

Consult the Tignes snow report before to ski. With the snow forecast of Tignes and the list of opening slopes, choose your activity during your winter holidays. See the weather to organize your stay in the french Alps, and repare your equipement

Comment

This is kinda like the staged marathon attempt but still worth an asterisk if they do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X