Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damiansport2 View Post
    Stupid strategy Ayana, why leading whole fucking race
    What choice does she have? Sit and still get the crap kicked out of her in the last 300? And if she let it go slow enough, get out kicked for any medal.

Comment

Originally posted by etuoyo View Post
      Ayana would probably have had to run at world record pace to have had any chance of breaking Obiri.
      Yup; and she just didn't have that today.

Comment

Originally posted by damiansport2 View Post
        Stupid strategy Ayana, why leading whole fucking race
        Its great that we have such thoughts. It shows why we have races to determine the best on a given day. And not a preconceived view of how things really work.

Comment

Ayana ran to win but she also ran to medal. If she doesn't get separation from the others she finishes 6th or worse. It was a smart strategy where failure was a place on the podium.

Comment

Originally posted by etuoyo View Post
            Ayana would probably have had to run at world record pace to have had any chance of breaking Obiri.
            I think Ayana went into this race believing she could run anyone into the ground based on what she did to Dibaba in 2015 and what she did in the Rio 10K, so she didn't need to worry about tactics.

Comment

Didn't more or less the same thing happen in Rio? She ran a slower 5k than the 2nd half of her 10K?
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                Didn't more or less the same thing happen in Rio? She ran a slower 5k than the 2nd half of her 10K?
                In the Rio 5K she cracked, so she probably believes that if she could have held the pace she would have won. Remember unlike Obiri today, Cheryiot didn't cover her move when she broke away from the pack in Rio.
                Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-14-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                  Ayana ran to win but she also ran to medal. If she doesn't get separation from the others she finishes 6th or worse. It was a smart strategy where failure was a place on the podium.
                  I agree. I think she also knew beating Obiri would be tough due to Obiri only targeting the 5k, but also there isn't a massive different between their pb's, and Obiri's came this year so she's in top shape. 5th fastest all time, plus she has a kick. For her she knew al she had to do was hold on, and she looked quite comfortable. She just tucked in behind and glue herself to Ayana. I feel Ayana will always find the double harder than the likes of Tirunesh because of how she has to run them to win them, with no devastating sprint finish she has to front run them both to get a medal, so it must take a lot more out of her.

Comment

Originally posted by dinamo View Post
                    I agree. I think she also knew beating Obiri would be tough due to Obiri only targeting the 5k, but also there isn't a massive different between their pb's, and Obiri's came this year so she's in top shape. 5th fastest all time, plus she has a kick. For her she knew al she had to do was hold on, and she looked quite comfortable. She just tucked in behind and glue herself to Ayana. I feel Ayana will always find the double harder than the likes of Tirunesh because of how she has to run them to win them, with no devastating sprint finish she has to front run them both to get a medal, so it must take a lot more out of her.
                    Your options are definitely limited when you have no kick. She would have had to crank out consistent laps of 67s or faster in order to break Obiri but there were too many 69s laps. Also, she should have went from the gun instead of let Hassan lead them at a snail's pace for the first few laps.
                    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Well, she's young enough still to learn/experiment with other tactics. I'd love to see her put the above thoughts into play, and set off with 67s laps in mind...just to see who'd go with her and what the result of such a race would be.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I think Ayana got the best possible result out of this race. Obiri ran the last 4K in 11:15.81, which is <14:05 pace, and didn't look all that spent at the end; if a less-than-fresh Ayana had tried to push her any harder than she already did, she'd likely have cracked herself first.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                          if a less-than-fresh Ayana had tried to push her any harder than she already did, she'd likely have cracked herself first.
                          And that's exactly what happened in Rio, she blew herself up.

Comment

The fact she slowed down after 2000m indicates that Ayana was not fit enough to sustain the fast pace from the gun.

Comment

Working...
                            X