Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2017 WC w1500: Faith Kipyegon (Kenya) 4:02.59

T&FN formchart and PRs

1. Sifan Hassan (Netherlands) 3:56.05 (’15)
    2. Faith Kipyegon (Kenya) 3:56.41 (’16)
    3. Genzebe Dibaba (Ethiopia) 3:50.07 (’15)
    4. Laura Muir (Great Britain) 3:55.22 (’16)
    5. Jenny Simpson (USA) 3:57.22 (’14)
    6. Caster Semenya (South Africa) 4:01.99 (’16)
    7. Konstanze Klosterhalfen (Germany) 3:59.30 (’17)
    8. Meraf Bahta (Sweden) 4:00.59 (’17)
    9. Angelika Cichocka (Poland) 4:01.61 (’17)
    10. Winny Chebet (Kenya) 3:59.16 (’17)
    Last edited by dj; 08-07-2017, 08:58 PM.

If the pace is slow... Semenya wins?

Comment

Originally posted by lapsus View Post
      If the pace is slow... Semenya wins?
      slow no
      very slow maybe
      Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by lapsus View Post
        If the pace is slow...
        Then Simpson will pull a Centro!

Comment

I doubt that Muir will let is go too slow, and Hassan runs much closer to the front than she used to do. I doubt that Dibaba had returned enough to form to go real hard from the gun and I expect the pace to pick up well before 1100m even if it is only a 4:00 race and the winning last 800 could again be a 1:58. Hassan had shown strong 800 form and her improvement in running form and strength makes her the favorite her in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
            I doubt that Muir will let is go too slow
            I think Klosterhalfen is the one most likely to make it fast. I very much doubt it will come down to a sprint finish - at most it could be a slow first 800, but it could very well be fast all the way.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Yes so think Klosterhalfen will take it out from at least 800, if no one else already has.
              Semenya's average (compared to her PB) run over 400m against the best maybe shows she's been working on her endurance and not speed. She really is an enigma here. Especially as this event comes before the 800

Comment

I don't see Semenya medaling, just because the big three can close in 1:58. I'm not sure even Semenya can even do that. There's no way Semenya can sandbag this (as many are suspecting in her 800m races) if she wants to win.

Comment

Muir would be my first choice for an insanely fast pace. She doesn't want a repeat of Rio and to avoid that she needs to make it fast. Klosterhalfen can't depend on fast last 800, while she can ran those in 2:02, others can do it in 1:58. I'm hoping Muir goes for 3:55 in the hope only 1 or 2 can follow, that would be perfect for Klosterhalfen.

Comment

I suspect that if it goes hard Simpson will try to stay within 'shooting distance' and then hope to pick someone off that is not up to maintaining a too-hard pace. I would think that a 3:55 pace would kill off CS.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                      I would think that a 3:55 pace would kill off CS.
                      And everyone else!

Comment

I do not think a 3:55 pace kills off Hassan, and probably both Dibaba and Kipyegon,

Comment

I do not think Muir is even in 3:55 shape.

Comment

I don't think so either, but what choice does she have? 3:55 pace was how she cracked Kipyegon and Hassen in Paris last year and that would be her best hope.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                              I don't think so either, but what choice does she have? 3:55 pace was how she cracked Kipyegon and Hassen in Paris last year and that would be her best hope.
                              I think she has to try something. The rio approach wont work, with Semenya there no one wants a last lap burn up either, plus there are a few others with devastating last lap pace too like Cichocka who always seems to have something in the home straight even off good pace. I feel like Hasan and Kipyegon have more ways to win than Muir, so she has to make it as hard for them as possible, Klosterhalfen wont want it slow so hopefully at least that will help it shift a bit from the beginning and muir can wind it up? Not sure. But at least thinning the hard gives her a higher than of a medal, and making everyone suffer seems the best way.

Where she's at with the injury is probably going to dictate all of this though, if she can 3:57 or lower I feel like there is a great chance of a medal for her slower than that and I think there are others who'll still be hanging on and ruin it for her.

Comment

Working...
                              X