Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2017 WC w800: Caster Semenya (South Africa) 1:55.16 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2017 WC w800: Caster Semenya (South Africa) 1:55.16 (WL)

T&FN formchart and PRs

1. Caster Semenya (South Africa) 1:55.27 (’17)
    2. Francine Niyonsaba (Burundi) 1:55.47 (’17)
    3. Ajee’ Wilson (USA) 1:55.61 (’17)
    4. Margaret Wambui (Kenya) 1:56.89 (’16)
    5. Melissa Bishop (Canada) 1:57.01 (’17)
    6. Lynsey Sharp ( Britain) 1:57.69 (’16)
    7. Charlene Lipsey (USA) 1:57.38 (’17)
    8. Lovisa Lindh (Sweden) 1:58.77 (’17)
    9. Joanna Jóźwik (Poland) 1:57.37 (’16)
    10. Eunice Sum (Kenya) 1:56.99 (’15)
    Last edited by dj; 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM.

If anyone tries to steal it from the front we could see a barnburner. Any thoughts on the possibility of someone trying it?
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
      If anyone tries to steal it from the front we could see a barnburner. Any thoughts on the possibility of someone trying it?

Considering Wilson and Lipsey are training mates...
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Sorry,but this race is still controversial to me so I'm not going to make a pick one way or the other.
        "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
          Considering Wilson and Lipsey are training mates...
          You think maybe Lipsey will sacrifice herself to set it up for Wilson to steal?

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
            No.I Don't believe they are running as a team yet at this point in their young careers like the Africans.
            "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

Not necessarily a "sacrifice", as I believe it serves Lipsey's medal hopes as well as Wilson's to make the pace hot. They've both been racing that way all year, and I have no doubt the method to the madness is to have both in front of Semenya at the 600 mark, forcing her to have to go way wide to get around. If the pace is as rich as Monaco(or richer), and the strategy works to the point Wilson has the lead coming onto the homestretch, she just might pull it off.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
                I think Niyonsaba might attempt to go for it. Finishing so close to Semenya in Monaco might have boosted her confidence. Granted, I picked her to finish behind Wilson, and wouldn't be surprised if Lipsey slipped in a medal spot.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                  I think Niyonsaba might attempt to go for it. Finishing so close to Semenya in Monaco might have boosted her confidence. Granted, I picked her to finish behind Wilson, and wouldn't be surprised if Lipsey slipped in a medal spot.
                  I hope someone does try, especially as Semenya had to run some decent 1500's here none of her races were really easy ones. So she's surely going to feel that, and against fresher athletes in that 800 final with 5 races in her legs if someone was willing to go for it, she might crack. Maybe not totally crack to come away with no medal but enough that she struggles to main top gear against someone fresher.

Comment

The 1500 final was the first race I've seen Semenya run in the last two years in which she looked all out in the homestretch. I agree with dinamo - fresher legs may well have a shot at her.

Comment

^ Good point. CS continues to present interesting questions. For instance: The last time CS finished behind anyone in an 800m race -- preliminary or final -- was 8 September 2015 (ISTAF Berlin, 8th). Since then, it is 26 consecutive wins (again, heats, SF and finals -- not that prelims matter for 1st, but CS has finished ahead always in the past 2 years). Moreover, just looking at 2016-2017 up to the 1500 competition here in London, at distances of 800-3000, CS had finished 1st 29 consecutive times (again, prelim and final). And now, well -- it's now -- and there are 3 fast 1500 races on CS's legs, and the experience of being behind someone at the finish line (not that heats and SF matter, but prior to this 1500 competition, CS had not lost even one of those in 2016-2017).

What is the effect of all of this? First of 3 @ 4:02-4:03? And second -- maybe -- of losing to someone? That is CS's first 3 round championship at that distance, and now, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fastest 1500s of CS's career. By the time we reach the 800 final, that will likely be the 6th fast race to contest (though there is a chance that the first round of the 800 might be 'easy,' relative to all the others). Looking at all of this in advance, I thought to contest the 1500 was a no-cost proposition, mainly because CS seems so so dominant at 800. I thought CS so dominant that regardless of how the 1500 went, it would not 'cost' much. But I think it had to have cost something, physically and maybe even psychologically (though of course this can work in many different ways and of course I do not know any of these persons). Moreover, just before the WC, some athletes got closer at 800, which (along with considering the cost of the 1500 competitions) might embolden them that much more, as suggested in earlier posts).

Regardless of how astute or experienced CS is, it cannot be known in advance of the 800 final what it will feel like, with this being the 1st time to do such a contest with 3 fast 1500s as the prelude to the 800 competitions. That is uncharted territory. And, one might add, being so dominant over the last couple of years, CS has not in my view had the necessity to become tactically very savvy, right down to advancing to the next round by one means only: finish first. I will be interested to see how this plays out.
                      Last edited by Master Po; 08-09-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DecFan View Post
                        The 1500 final was the first race I've seen Semenya run in the last two years in which she looked all out in the homestretch. I agree with dinamo - fresher legs may well have a shot at her.
                        Agree she had to give it a good go in the home straight to get there, and threw herself over the line.

The 800 whilst not as stacked as the 1500 isn't exactly low quality either there are more than a few medal contenders. So she might also have to get through a tough-ish semi as well as the final, and if she's already a bit tired expending more energy than she wants to in a semi might all come to roost in the final. But that will all depend on how the final is run, anything pedestrian and I think she'd have too much tired or not. But if someone gave it a go, could be interesting.
                        Last edited by dinamo; 08-08-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Not only was the Final fairly quick, but she had to run 66/71/62/58(for 300), which is harder than a 65/65/65/65. Traffic in the race also meant that some of the athletes had to work harder than the time indicates, and CS spent a fair bit of time at on at least one curve well out in to Lane 2.

Comment

You've also got all the intangibles like all the added media commitments, doping control, the emotional high of actually winning a medal and all of the off the track stuff that comes with doubling up. Whilst maybe not tiring in the same way still takes up valuable energy.

Comment

Article this morning in the Philly Inquirer on Ajee Wilson. They somehow found something that wasn't Eagles football.
                              http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...-20170808.html

Comment

Working...
                              X