Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2017 WC mHJ: Mutaz Essa Barshim (Qatar) 7-8½ (2.35)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Even though Barshim won, he was a major, major disappointment to the nitwits who were telecasting on the NBC television network, because he utterly failed to break the world record that was so anticipated! How inconvenient!
    They did the same thing with Christian Taylor in the triple jump.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
      Even though Barshim won, he was a major, major disappointment to the nitwits who were telecasting on the NBC television network, because he utterly failed to break the world record that was so anticipated! How inconvenient!
      Even the most casual observer would have to know that wasn't possible. I avoid coverage driven by NBC producers whenever possible and failing to do basic prep work like this is one reason why.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
        He can't play the passing game when he not in shape. He was off in every jump. Did not seem to hit the vertical and he took off too far out, came down on the bar several times.

        Very disappointing competition. Good to see Lysenko though. Very impressive clearance on 2.32. Don't know why the bar fell on his 2nd. 2.35 attempt. He would be my guess as the next 2.40 jumper. Barshim did what he could but as he said he needs somebody to push him, but they are all gone, the other mid 2.30 jumpers. I think the jumpers were bothered by all the interruptions.
        As good as Mutaz looked yesterday, he is not the otherworldy gentleman we saw in Brussels (14') or NY (14'). He and Bondarenko both have had their share of injuries, but I'm starting to feel like Dwight. Their window is closing....unless you're Thranhardt and still have a 2.42 in your legs at 31 (haha).

        I have a major complaint regarding BBC's coverage. Left-foot jumpers had the worst view of the jumps possible. At the jumpers' apex you couldn't even see the bar, only the standards. Also, loved how they cut away for races at the higher heights and missed two out of three jumps at 2.40m. It will always be TRACK & ......
        Last edited by Dietmar239; 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM.
        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
          Even though Barshim won, he was a major, major disappointment to the nitwits who were telecasting on the NBC television network, because he utterly failed to break the world record that was so anticipated! How inconvenient!
          It is amazing how bad our sport is treated, if this were the NFL or NBA they would find obscure statistics and strained perspectives to add grandeur to the event. In the case of track and field, an athlete like Barshim has to break the world record while jumping in an ice box to register a smile. And jazz has mentioned that it was the same for their treatment of Christian Taylor, arguably (in user4s opinion) the best athlete on the planet. Something has to change.

          This may sound a bit paranoid but Im convinced that T&F gets this treatment as a kind of surrogate disdain for all the PEDs in the OTHER sports. It is necessary to have a scapegoat sport and we are it. The broadcasters making a fortune on the big 3 NFL/MLB/NBA and so cleans them by heaping all the sins of sports on T&F and they suck up all the profits for themselves. Ok, maybe Im paranoid.
          Last edited by user4; 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
            Even though Barshim won, he was a major, major disappointment to the nitwits who were telecasting on the NBC television network, because he utterly failed to break the world record that was so anticipated! How inconvenient!
            Not only was Barshim hyped as having a chance at the WR, but his 2.35 clearance was ostensibly by "5 or 6 inches." That may be how high his shoulders were over the bar, but certainly not his thighs, which looked to be maybe one inch clear. The "expert" analyst didn't know what to be watching.

            And while Barshim cleared 6-4 in warm-ups, what he did certainly was not a recognizable hurdle technique that would be used by a high school or older hurdler. It was more of an ugly scissors, and we've seen much higher warm-ups with a real scissors jump.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by dj View Post
              Not only was Barshim hyped as having a chance at the WR, but his 2.35 clearance was ostensibly by "5 or 6 inches." That may be how high his shoulders were over the bar, but certainly not his thighs, which looked to be maybe one inch clear. The "expert" analyst didn't know what to be watching.

              And while Barshim cleared 6-4 in warm-ups, what he did certainly was not a recognizable hurdle technique that would be used by a high school or older hurdler. It was more of an ugly scissors, and we've seen much higher warm-ups with a real scissors jump.
              Yes it was bizarre the 5 or 6 inches comment...obvious hips and thighs were barely getting over the bar.

              Yesterday was the first time getting the American commentary all week. The delayed Olympic Channel had the superb Brit quartet....didn't realize how lousy it would be.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by dj View Post
                Not only was Barshim hyped as having a chance at the WR, but his 2.35 clearance was ostensibly by "5 or 6 inches." That may be how high his shoulders were over the bar, but certainly not his thighs, which looked to be maybe one inch clear. The "expert" analyst didn't know what to be watching.

                And while Barshim cleared 6-4 in warm-ups, what he did certainly was not a recognizable hurdle technique that would be used by a high school or older hurdler. It was more of an ugly scissors, and we've seen much higher warm-ups with a real scissors jump.
                Couldn't agree more. His thighs and calves never clears with 5 or 6 inches.
                And for sure that was no hurdling style. Barshim himself has scissored about 2.15 and so has Jesse Williams.

                About the WR. During 2014 the record was under attack from Barshim and Bondarenko but after that year Barshim has had one 2.41 jump and one 2.40 jump. So I agree, the window is closing fast. Barshim could still get up to 2.40-2.41 but 2.46 is far away.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
                  About the WR. During 2014 the record was under attack from Barshim and Bondarenko but after that year Barshim has had one 2.41 jump and one 2.40 jump. So I agree, the window is closing fast. Barshim could still get up to 2.40-2.41 but 2.46 is far away.
                  I regret that Barshim and Bondarenko failed to raise their PRs when they could have. Both on a few occasions in 2014 did not go for a 1cm PR and instead swung for a homerun with the bar set for a WR. They now are stuck with PRs that are below their raw ability. Same goes for Ukhov.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    That bar looked a lot higher than 6-4 to me; why, for instance, would there ever be a bar set at 1.95 for the men. It was probably at least 2.0x or even 2.10

                    Comment


                    • There still has not been a man win consecutive golds in this event at WC (Soto won 1993 and 1997, but was 2nd in 1995)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by user4 View Post
                        I regret that Barshim and Bondarenko failed to raise their PRs when they could have. Both on a few occasions in 2014 did not go for a 1cm PR and instead swung for a homerun with the bar set for a WR. They now are stuck with PRs that are below their raw ability. Same goes for Ukhov.
                        Yes, sometimes. But once they were over 2.41-2.42 they almost had to go for the WR. They had to seize the moment when they were feeling great. They simply don't get that many chances for the Perfect Jump. What if they had gone to 2.44 after the 2.42 in New York in 2014 and one of them had the perfect clearance at that height? That would have reduced the chances to repeat at the WR 2.46. Extremely limited number of perfect jumps they have in them at those heights.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X