X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶2017 WC m400H: Karsten Warholm (Norway) 48.35

T&FN form chart and PRs

1. Kerron Clement (USA) 47.24 (’05)
    2. Kyron McMaster (British VI) 47.80 (’17)
    3. Karsten Warholm (Norway) 48.25 (’17)
    4. Eric Futch (USA) 48.18 (’17)
    5. Yasmani Copello (Turkey) 47.92 (’16)
    6. Michael Stigler (USA) 48.26 (’17)
    7. Rasmus Mägi (Estonia) 48.40 (’16)
    8. Mamadou Kasse Hann (Fra) 48.40 (’17)
    9. Kemar Mowatt (Jamaica) 48.49 (’17)
    10. Haron Koech (Kenya) 48.49 (’16)
    Last edited by dj; 08-09-2017, 08:34 PM.

It's an event where people can come out of nowhere and make the form chart meaningless. Maybe Thomas Barr can pull it off this time after just missing out on medals in Rio?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I won't be surprised if two of the medalists are guys listed outside the top 5 faves or not even listed at all. Similar to the 800 in the way guys can pull performances out of a hat during a championship.

Comment

Clement won it in Berlin (2009) and I think he may do it again in London.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
          Clement won it in Berlin (2009) and I think he may do it again in London.
          He's been better lately, but his psychological issue with a left lead-leg, if it crops up in the heats or the semis or in the Final, will be his undoing.

Comment

Futch is way underrated here ! ... and what became of Bett ?. As for Clement , i think father time is going to jump on his back at 300m .
            Last edited by user4; 08-04-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
              Futch is way underrated here ! ... and what became of Bett ?. As for Clement , i think father time is going to jump on his back at 300m .
              Last race I saw, bears where chasing/catching many of the runners but Clement looked like he was not bothered much down the straight.

Comment

Bett's injury/withdrawal was reportd on the home page on July 24

Comment

For me this is the one men's individual track event in which a 1980s athlete (with the help of a time machine) would actually be the favourite (or favorite) to win gold. That is more a mark of how great Ed Moses was than the relative mediocrity of the modern generation.

If Warholm can put it all together I think he will win. It is quite a big 'if' though!

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    Last race I saw, bears where chasing/catching many of the runners but Clement looked like he was not bothered much down the straight.
                    And that was essentially Clement's only good race this year. He's raced in 5 meets and won once, by a whopping 0.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                      For me this is the one men's individual track event in which a 1980s athlete (with the help of a time machine) would actually be the favourite (or favorite) to win gold. That is more a mark of how great Ed Moses was than the relative mediocrity of the modern generation.
                      Ill do you one better and say any one of 4 1970s athletes could be transported to London and medal.... and maybe 4 from the 1960s too.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                        And that was essentially Clement's only good race this year. He's raced in 5 meets and won once, by a whopping 0.1.
                        Yes, and some of those were at the 'Trials', which were not Trials for him as he had the auto entry. Thus, he was aiming for later in the season, which is why his last race might be the only real meet to pay attention to. He has a vastly better resume than anyone else in the field and about as much championship experience as the other seven that are likely to be in the Final with him (if he makes it, it is the 400h after all). Not sure what is speed is these days, but I suspect it is better than almost anyone out there.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                          Yes, and some of those were at the 'Trials', which were not Trials for him as he had the auto entry. Thus, he was aiming for later in the season, which is why his last race might be the only real meet to pay attention to. He has a vastly better resume than anyone else in the field and about as much championship experience as the other seven that are likely to be in the Final with him (if he makes it, it is the 400h after all). Not sure what is speed is these days, but I suspect it is better than almost anyone out there.
                          He's never been consistent, though. Before Rio, he failed to medal in 4 consecutive major champs. Re speed, Warholm ran 44.87 this year, while Clement failed to break 46 in the two races he had on the flat.

Comment

How old are you user4? Why does it seem like every person in this world who is in their upper 50s, 60s, or 70s thinks that a 31 year old male is too old to run? I don't get that.

The human body hits its peak in upper 30s to low 40s. So I don't get the ancient thinking that says that a person is too old to run once they hit 30.

This type of thinking does nothing but cause fear. It causes athletes to retire early at 30 or so.

So can some of you stop doing this? Stop acting like 31 is old. It isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_London_413 View Post
                              How old are you user4? Why does it seem like every person in this world who is in their upper 50s, 60s, or 70s thinks that a 31 year old male is too old to run? I don't get that.

The human body hits its peak in upper 30s to low 40s. So I don't get the ancient thinking that says that a person is too old to run once they hit 30.

This type of thinking does nothing but cause fear. It causes athletes to retire early at 30 or so.

So can some of you stop doing this? Stop acting like 31 is old. It isn't.
                              As much as Id like to give a short history of my own undewhelming athletic accomplishments (that will have to wait for another day) I cant do that to a thread that is about prognosticating on the apex of athletics.

As for Clement, you may well be right. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X