Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "16 feet"

Eurosport's (German) commentators made no mention of the fact that Feo's 4.88 WR cracked the 16-barrier--indicating that they probably weren't aware of it. Any mention of it in the British commentary? I'm very skeptical that any but the most elite non-US athletes have any awareness of imperial measures. Athletes second-level and down, commentators, serious fans really don't know. Feo also made no mention of it in the iaaf interview excerpt, but specifically referred to the 4.90 barrier. I'm not saying that non-US athletes, commentators and fans SHOULD be aware of imperial measures. I simply have a strong impression that they aren't.

Re: No

You are correct - no one outside of the USA knows or cares. What you have to remember is that this is a USA-based message board, with many, many people that DO know and DO care, and that's why it keeps coming up. 4.90m means absolutely nothing to me and I am a huge vault fan, especially of the women.

Comment

>no one outside of the USA knows or cares.

Ahem...

Comment

Would you care to elaborate on that, Jon? Seriously, I can't get anyone to bite on my question about British commentators reporting feet and inches.

I'm American and also basically think in feet and inches. I'm really sorry that Stacy didn't get the first 4.88/16'!

Feo's WR is a pretty huge surprise. She's been looking weak--and this was a 10cm (4") PB!

Comment

Ahem? I seriously thought the Brits were just as heatedly trackometric as the rest of the Euros.

Comment

Yes, I am 'trackometric', but to say that nobody outside the US knows or cares about the 16ft barrier being broken is plain wrong. I, for one, know and care about it, even if the commentators didn't mention it. Didn't you learn from Rob's inane anti-American posts that one person's opinions and actions doesn't respresent those of the nation from which they come? I don't see how, just because a couple of British commentators didn't mention it, you've managed to figure that anyone outside of USA doesn't know or care.

Like I say - I do care about it. I feel it's a great shame that Dragila didn't reach the mark first, seeing as she had been striving for the mark for so many years. Of the leading vaulting women, I least expected Feofanova to get it (I thought Isinbayeva or Dragila would get it first). Either way, I doubt it will last for long. 4.90m will happen very soon (and 5.00m soon after, although we may have to wait til 2005 for that).

Comment

For the record, it was actually a 3cm pr, seeing as to how outdoor and indoor is not differentiated between any longer. And, if you look at her form this season, I'm not at all surprised, as she does have Polnova and Isinbayeva pushing her. Not to mention Dragila looking sharp over here... Should be an OG with a WR...

Comment

Jon, I was being facetious. Of course others besides US fans care, but yes, you're right, a few Euro bad apples have upset our cart. Basically we all see eye to eye in what excited us, but the actual performance depends on the measurement system to really get us hepped up. 20m isn't as good as 70' , but we both get excited when our SPers do it.

Comment

Here we go again...

Comment

sorry to interrupt this thread, but I just started a new thread that bh or gh pulled in about 4 nanoseconds. I said that it would die a 'quick and painful death' but didn't realize the irony of my statement. My bad, boys - point taken.

We now resume this thread without further interruption.

Comment

>sorry to interrupt this thread, but I just started a new thread that bh or gh
                      >pulled in about 4 nanoseconds.

You mean the one that was moved to the THG section...?

Comment

ha! who says those guys in Mtn View ain't got no sense of humor? They moved my politics thread over to the Dope Board! I thought they killed it. Thanks, Jon.

Comment

My mistake on Feo's PR. The German commentators had it at 4.78--and I believed them! However, her previous best this outdoor season was 4.70 (15-5).

By the way, Stacy still has 5 of the top 8 outdoor marks this year. See iaaf stats.

Comment

>You are correct - no one outside of the USA knows or cares.

I do know, but I still do not care :-D
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

i think the first 300' JT & 60' TJ were more resonant barriers to break - nice round numbers !

Comment

Working...
                              X