Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Champs Bye After Olympic Year

I would like to suggest that the World Cup take a bye in the year that immediately follows the Olympics because the Olympic winners have a difficult time getting up for another all-conquering performance. It is an much an emotional thing as a physical one.

This phenomenon tarnishes our Olympians and does precious little to elevate the winners.

Skip a year!
    Last edited by gh; 08-13-2017, 04:19 AM.

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    I would like to suggest that the World Cup take a bye in the year that immediately follows the Olympics because the Olympic winners have a difficult time getting up for another all-conquering performance. It is an much an emotional thing as a physical one.

This phenomenon tarnishes our Olympians and does precious little to elevate the winners.

Skip a year!
    too much $$$ involved but I do think we should regularly expect a certain amount of post olympic year drop off in some performances...seemed like more illness and injury this year than normal.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 08-13-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

do you mean World Championships?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post

Skip a year!
        I disagree.

Comment

Add an even year championship, and have no off years! It's ridiculous that we penalize athletes that happen to have their career year in 2014 or 2006 or 2010, etc...

Comment

Yes World Championship, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
              Add an even year championship, and have no off years! It's ridiculous that we penalize athletes that happen to have their career year in 2014 or 2006 or 2010, etc...
              I agree and have wanted to see that for years.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
                count me in!!

Comment

Count me in on this one.

Comment

Me too, but the European Championships are blocking it from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                      But don't they now have a watered down version of the euros during the Olympic years as well ?

Comment

bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                          Not anymore! Gone the days of EU Championships every four years. Now it is held every other year. I suggest to have the world T&F championship every year.

I also suggest moving 10000m to the road and add mixed 4x100 and 4x400 and replace marathon with either 4-athlete marathon relay or just 20K.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin View Post
                            Not sure the want to compete with FIFA. Interestingly, other sports do the same thing, swimming, skiing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowrunner View Post
                              Not sure the want to compete with FIFA. Interestingly, other sports do the same thing, swimming, skiing, etc.
                              I am pretty sure swimming and skiing match athletics by having World Champs every odd numbered year.

Cycling is an example of a sport that has a World Champs every year, including Olympic year. It has 2 completely separate World Champs, one for track and one for road. They do have quite a few disciplines in their World Champs that are not in the Olympics.

Comment

Working...
                              X