Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted the WCh since 83 in the even years ( and see the olympics as a specail WCh) in the oneven years
    you can do something with the grand prix circuit and the best is the WCh for that year.

more and more the diamondleague/grand prix circuit is suffering due to participating only for obligation to sponsers or
    as preparation for the main event the WCh or Olympics
    Last edited by DG; 08-13-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DG View Post
      I wanted the WCh since 83 in the even years ( and see the olympics as a specail WCh) in the even years
      you can do something with the grand prix circuit and the best is the WCh for that year.

more and more the diamondleague/grand prix circuit is suffering due to participating only for obligation to sponsers or
      as preparation for the main event the WCh or Olympics
      That would certainly make more sense than this 3 on, 1 off schedule.

Comment

Diamond Circuit will never get the coverage of the WC. If we are trying to get our sport in the public eye, having a WC in every year except the Summer Olympic years is the way to go. Just schedule it after the FIFA World Cup in those years.

Comment

The Diamond League fails to deliver on what is most exciting for me about Champs (and OG): the "come from nowhere" breakthrough athlete who somehow makes a final or even gets a medal.

Without a very strong second-tier circuit around the world with some guaranteed pathway into the DL, such athletes would be lost...

The DL basically would become a season-long "best of 6" final for the top 8-12 athletes in each event (presumably the top 8-12 from the previous year). Where's the incentive to add new blood into the mix?

Comment

No reason we can't have ANNUAL WC's of T&F---just as "major" sports do---the Super Bowl & World Series, for example!!
            In the "Olympic Year", schedule them so they don't clash, and so it's easy for athletes to do BOTH----or choose one over the other!
            IMHO, the Oly's are doomed!!
            They're going to go the way of the Ancient Games---the Greek ones from B.C!
            Don't know when, but I'm guessing sooner than later!!

The OG's are a psychological abyss--in which many athletes fall, thinking (if they lose!) "I've got to train another four years before getting another chance at a medal!!"

But no, not if you have an ANNUAL WC!
            They can win medals EVERY year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowrunner View Post
              Not sure the want to compete with FIFA. Interestingly, other sports do the same thing, swimming, skiing, etc.
              They would not have to compete with FIFA directly. Next year, for example, the world cup is mid June to mid July. The IAAF does not have WCs that early that I can recall-certainly not in recent years.

There's no better way to remain irrelevant internationally (relatively speaking) than not even contesting a WC in the middle year. Track & Field needs more exposure.
              Last edited by cladthin; 08-14-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X